Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
^^^

Just my opinion (so worth about as much as you paid for it), but that's horrible... :eek:

I've got an interesting job to photograph 35 nature reserves in the county of Cumbria. Not always the prettiest - or most photogenic - of places, so a bit of a challenge. Drumburgh Moss...

g3yg.jpg

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
My first try at HDR:

Queens College by Photos by RM on Flickr

If you're looking for some CC, IMO there is way too much haloing in this picture and it just doesn't look right to me. Not enough structure detail in the building. Cloudless skies also seem to take away from HDR photos IMO. What software system did you use? HDR's beauty has always been in the eye of the beholder and I'm sure you'll get a wide variety of opinions from those who think it's an evil spawn to those who love the over-done grunge/painterly effect. When I do use HDR I try to get it as natural looking as possible. Old cars seem to scream for a heavier dose of HDR. But that's just my taste. Keep exploring and experimenting to see what pleases you.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Yes indeed! I have been giving myself photo assignments while I've been on vacation here in Australia. This photo is my attempt at a beach scene, which has been very challenging in terms of composition and correct exposure. I have always admired TheReefs seascape photos, but now am in even bigger awe of his work. This photo was taken using my available equipment: tripod, D5000, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6, and a CP filter. I really wish I had an ND filter! The color calibration on my laptop screen is horrendous, so the colors may be off...

C&C more than welcome! (I'm here another week so I can put feedback into practice immediately).

Townsville by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

Nice one! Colours look fine, a fine effort especially considering you have no ND filters.
What are your impressions of Australia? - how are you coping with everything being backwards and opposite? :p

Not really C&C but a few more ideas for while you're here:

Sunrises beach shots (the sun rises over the ocean on the east coast).
It's a great time this time of year, sun rise is around 7am, with all these clouds around you could get some good colours if it's patchy.

Pretty wet weather with massive swells at the moment, could get some good wave shots from a distance (not long exposures), just be careful.

Ocean rock pools. There are heaps scattered along the east coast, the hand rails often provide good leading lines.
Bonus if they have hanging moss lit up in the sun.

Light houses, jetties, boat ramps, etc.. are a few more ideas.

Hope you're enjoying your holiday!

Kids these days...

As always, comments appreciated!

Champagne by acearchie, on Flickr

You've really captured the intensity of the moment, great job! :)

Yum, I feel like I'm in Wonka's chocolate factory!

Last edited:

bigrash

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
If you're looking for some CC, IMO there is way too much haloing in this picture and it just doesn't look right to me. Not enough structure detail in the building. Cloudless skies also seem to take away from HDR photos IMO. What software system did you use? HDR's beauty has always been in the eye of the beholder and I'm sure you'll get a wide variety of opinions from those who think it's an evil spawn to those who love the over-done grunge/painterly effect. When I do use HDR I try to get it as natural looking as possible. Old cars seem to scream for a heavier dose of HDR. But that's just my taste. Keep exploring and experimenting to see what pleases you.

Thanks for the advise. I can see all the haloing now. Was trying to go for a dramatic hdr effect, but guess I wasn't too successful. I used Photomatix.

I've been having vision issues that hamper my photography and this is the first image I see today? Ouch.

Never been a fan of HDR.

Dale

Sorry dude! lol

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Here's a self portrait that I took last night. Holding still for the 15s exposure (after the flash) was a bit tricky and caused a weird shadow with my hat, but I still like it.

Self Portrait In A Field by SnickerSnackClick, on Flickr

I wonder if ducking out of the frame as soon as the flash had fired would have helped.

Big fan of dragging the shutter myself.

Here's a shot of my friend from a few nights ago.

As always, comments appreciated.

Rasta Dave by acearchie, on Flickr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.