Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Cappuccino Grande

It's pretty rare to find 'old' snow that looks beautiful, but to me this melting mass looked like a river of foamy cappuccino, complete with the dark swirls that a creative barista would make. Let's face it, when you get up at 4am to shoot sunrise, anything that resembles cappuccino is quite beautiful indeed! ;)

Click for larger...

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Destin%206-11-2013-32-XL.jpg

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I really thought you had applied some effect in photoshop to get that look. Nice shot.

Heh, nope...that's just mud swirling around in Spring snowmelt as it comes down out of an avalanche zone. Glad you like it. :)

----------

So another lovely shot ! Phrasikleia are there trails that take you to that apparent altitude or is this just off a roadway... how did you access this lovely location ?

Tks,

Barry

Thanks, Barry. You have to backpack to that location. The trail entails an elevation gain of about 2,700 feet, along a route that cuts across some pretty steep terrain, but it's a lovely hike. Since you asked, I'm pasting in the rest of the text that I wrote for this photo:

//My husband and I were fortunate to be among the first people this year to venture up into the heights of the Jof Fuart massif (its many steep couloirs make it mostly inaccessible until the snow becomes more dense in late Spring). The two guys who run the local refuge hut had themselves arrived only a week earlier, and they were quite happy to have their first visitors of the season. The four of us stayed up much too late sipping their amazing Tocai Friulano, sharing hiking stories, and marveling at the Alpine Ibex whose curiosity brought him all the way to the hut's terrace where he could peer at us through the window. Of course the late night made waking up to shoot sunrise all the more difficult, but it was a highly memorable evening. After the morning outing, we returned to the hut, and our hosts brought out huge *soup bowls* (big bowls without handles) brimming with…guess what…foam-topped cappuccino. At that point, I definitely began to join nature in its essential transition after winter: the great awakening!//

So yeah, it's a good huff to reach the top, but there is plenty up there to reward the effort. :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
The PoTD thread seems very quiet at the moment (I can see tumbleweed)...

Stott Park Bobbin Mill. There used to be more than 60 bobbin mills in the area, making millions of bobbins to supply the textile mills - cotton & wool - in the north of England. This was the last one, now a working museum. It went from being water powered - with a big water wheel - to steam, to electric, with machines belt-driven. Unsurprisingly, accidents were common...

e7qz.jpg

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
The PoTD thread seems very quiet at the moment (I can see tumbleweed)...

Yes indeed! I have been giving myself photo assignments while I've been on vacation here in Australia. This photo is my attempt at a beach scene, which has been very challenging in terms of composition and correct exposure. I have always admired TheReefs seascape photos, but now am in even bigger awe of his work. This photo was taken using my available equipment: tripod, D5000, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6, and a CP filter. I really wish I had an ND filter! The color calibration on my laptop screen is horrendous, so the colors may be off...

C&C more than welcome! (I'm here another week so I can put feedback into practice immediately).

Townsville by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.