Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Inlet003.jpg

Nice 'tar, Doylem!:)

Thanks. It's showing a bit of 'respect' for Groucho Marx, one of the funniest men who ever lived. Not just the films, or stage shows and TV... but every letter he ever sent to family, friends and the other comedy luminaries of the time. His 'collected letters' are as funny as any script. This may be a lost art; 'collected emails' doesn't sound quite the same... and, anyway, how would we collect them? ;)

I like the surfer shot. For a non-surfer like me, I guess I'm looking for shape and style.. the relationship between surfer and wave... the 'decisive moment', the wondering "what happened next?", etc. This guy looks in control, but the wave is breaking over him: an eternally fluid moment moment caught in time (whoops, forgot to take my anti-pretentious pilsl this morning)... :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Gonna have to disagree with Carlos on this... For me there's too much foreground and not enough bridge. Fair enough if the foreground was more interesting (are the rocks for flood defense?), but the rocks cut into the arches of the bridge. For a wide-angle shot it makes the pic look a bit 'cluttered'. And it would be good to see more of the river...

Agree with Carlos about the clouds, though. I always like these clouds - white on top, grey below - because they've got so much 'body' and 'depth'... plus they generally 'balance up' well without the need for a grey grad or post-production...

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Great photo otter. Perfectly clear, nice composition, and digging the clouds. Also meant to comment on your, Paris picture which was also great.

Gonna have to disagree with Carlos on this... For me there's too much foreground and not enough bridge. Fair enough if the foreground was more interesting (are the rocks for flood defense?), but the rocks cut into the arches of the bridge. For a wide-angle shot it makes the pic look a bit 'cluttered'. And it would be good to see more of the river...

Agree with Carlos about the clouds, though. I always like these clouds - white on top, grey below - because they've got so much 'body' and 'depth'... plus they generally 'balance up' well without the need for a grey grad or post-production...

Thanks for the comments and critique. I appreciate your honest feedback, Doylem. It's nice getting praise and RA-RAs and all, but if that's all I ever get, then I'm never gonna learn and improve. There are things about this photo that I like (obviously, since I posted it) such as the clouds, but there's something that always bugged me too, and I think you were able to put your finger on it better than I was.

Great surf shot, SolracSelbor. Such a different perspective...

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
At the old Tugboat brewpub, Portland, OR

Chess boards available at the bar in this downtown neighborhood brewpub which only served its own fresh ales.

tugboat1.jpg

Canon Eos 630
Canon 28-80
Kodak T-max 400

Doylem: Very nice fire in the sky over that placid Lake Windermere moorage scene..

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
2302323222_dfa3ed5763.jpg

D40x
1/800
f 9
55mm

I pretty much missed out all of February's thread. Hopefully I'll stay on track with this one!
One of the best sunsets I've seen in a long time.

BTW, I missed all of February's thread too. If you wanna give it a go, it takes two and a half hours to read through from front to back.

Taken last spring from the Arc de Triomphe. Can't remember the precise settings. Going back this spring with my dSLR, so hopefully I'll get some better ones.

Olympus C-5050 P&S
HDR from one jpeg

de la Grand Armee
260967821_6A6be-L.jpg

EDIT...the sky really was that colour, though the HDR helped bring it to life a bit more.
Wow, what's that in the middle of the road in the distance? Looks like a building with a giant hole cut out for the road to pass through!

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I was curious to try out a rapid shutter speed for once…

No post-processing. As is.

Nikon D40[/QUOTE]
^ Very nice! ^

Mine for today is a shot taken at [URL="http://www.opacity.us/gallery90_silent_creatures.htm"]Worcester State Hospital[/URL], just a few miles from my house:

[IMG]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/801/dsc0564mu1.jpg

Taken with my D70s and its kit 18-70mm Nikkor. Post processing done in Lightroom.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Wow, what's that in the middle of the road in the distance? Looks like a building with a giant hole cut out for the road to pass through!

This is "la grande arche de la defense." La defense is a large business district on the western edge of Paris. The arch is more than just eye candy; there are offices located inside it. It was used recently in one of the Bourne movies (I didn't see it or I'd give more details).

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Clouds over open fields:

Nikon D40 and Sigma 30mm lens

The Photo doesn't do the scene justice. Only a video camera could have captured the beauty of the scence, but I can try to describe how it looked:

There were 3 layers of clouds moving at different speeds.
The big clouds at the horizon were moving slowly towards the right, producing a soft moving pattern of light underneath them.
The carpet like clouds at the top were almost stationary, thus giving a nice lit backdrop.
The dark clouds were hanging very low and moving very fast towards me.

Everything combined was a very powerful 3 dimensional sensation that cannot be expressed by a single photograph.

have a nice day.

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Port Dundas
Camera: Pentax K10D
Exposure: 8 sec (8)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 70 mm
ISO Speed: 200​
2297916036_f4a9ce651c_b.jpg

Nightshot of Port Dundas Glasgow, taken last week.

Epicwelshman welcome back, fantastic sunset. You are well travelled -(Wales,Canada, England, Bahamas.... where next)
Valdore as usual your shots amaze me, I love the Hydrant one especially.
Doylem the boats shot is awesome.
m@lew I always like your work especially the street photography.

Loads more great pictures already this month particularily pdxflint, fett, edge100, SolracSelbor, dllavaneras, otter

Padraic

macrumors regular
Awesome pictures from everyone, almost makes me not want to post.

It was 78 degrees yesterday (36 today :eek:). I was heading to the park with the kids and I stopped to follow this little bird around with the camera. I like it :p

As always, comments and criticism welcome!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Very cool shot, love the colors!

Thanks. Everyone always takes the reverse shot (down the Champs-Elysees with Place de la Concorde and the Tuileries in the background), so this is a bit unusual.

The HDR worked fairly well with the single JPEG, though it's limited in how far you can push it, vs. even a single RAW.

Glad you liked it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.