Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
I love the app, just wish it was as fast as they show i the Review videos...When I take a picture, it takes about 2-3 minutes to show up from my phone to my mac...unlike the Review video which show things happening almost instant..

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I haver a question about iPhoto library. Currently, I share my iMac with my dad, who uses iPhoto to manage his overseas holiday photos (I myself never touch the app). We use the same account / login and all for convenience.

Will iPhoto still be left around as a separate, standalone app? I don't want my dad merging his personal photos into my own photo collection.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I haver a question about iPhoto library. Currently, I share my iMac with my dad, who uses iPhoto to manage his overseas holiday photos (I myself never touch the app). We use the same account / login and all for convenience.

Will iPhoto still be left around as a separate, standalone app? I don't want my dad merging his personal photos into my own photo collection.

You can select a specific library when running Photos either by pressing CTRL+COMMAND while opening Photos, or double-clicking the specific Photo library file from ~/Photos. However, I'm not sure if Photos supports separate libraries under the same user account while not uploading one to iCloud. Can anyone confirm on this?

baselalsaadi

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2013
Hey guys,

I've got my photos backed up on iCloud and have the latest version of iPhoto downloaded on my OS X. Is there a way to sync all my photos from iCloud to iPhoto? From what I understand Photo Stream syncs only the past 30 days or so...?

Thanks in advance!

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2015
What a disaster!

Prior to photos for Mac I was using iCloud Photo Library where my photos on iPhone were being synced with the web app perfectly.

Once I threw my Mac into the mix and turned on iCloud Photo Library there it all went wrong. Instead of my main library for iCloud Photo Library being my Mac which has 190gb of photos, iCloud proceeded to add all images from the web iCloud Photo Library to my Mac which now meant I had 2500 photos which were doubles on my Mac.

Not to mention, absolutely no syncing between my Mac and phone or web. It seemed only my iPhone and the web were syncing and the Mac just received the doubles and nothing else.

So annoyed. Wondering if anyone else has this problem?

I restored to iPhoto until all this is sorted and seeking a refund on the 200gb iCloud plan.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don't use iCloud Photo Library and am trying Photos for the first time.

Is there a way to get an "On this Mac" photo album?

It seems you can see what's in your Photostream, or an "all photos" view that just shows you all the photos on your Mac and in your Photo stream in a combined view. There's no way to tell where the photos are ACTUALLY stored, which is dangerous since Photostream deletes itself eventually!

This software just seems so... *basic*. There's a general lack of information everywhere I look. I can't even do a "reveal in finder" to see where something is stored.

Ugh.

jonomate

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
Cant Launch the Photo App

As soon as I open the app it crashes ! I can't even get it past the first window. Anyone else having this problem ?

Last edited:

BriMercer

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
...it's quite limiting. The inability to add geolocation info is odd...

The inability to add geotags seems to be the big show stopper. I realize this is version 1 of the software and a lot of its shortcomings will be addressed in later versions, but this is something so basic, it's crazy that it's not a feature.

Version after version of the beta has been released with no apparent addition to features (only bug fixes), so it looks like it's a no go any time soon.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The inability to add geotags seems to be the big show stopper. I realize this is version 1 of the software and a lot of its shortcomings will be addressed in later versions, but this is something so basic, it's crazy that it's not a feature.

Version after version of the beta has been released with no apparent addition to features (only bug fixes), so it looks like it's a no go any time soon.

Yep, my confidence in this software is very shaky. It's missing a lot so far.

I think I'm going to just use Photos for iPhone pictures for now, and stick with Aperture for my "serious" photography with "real cameras". It's easy enough to export RAWs into JPGs to import into Photos, so I can enjoy all my photos on my phone without having to depend on Photos for cataloging my important photography.

Of course I need to switch away from Aperture soon; Lightroom will likely be it. There's just not much very good software in this space.

BriMercer

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Yep, my confidence in this software is very shaky. It's missing a lot so far.

I think I'm going to just use Photos for iPhone pictures for now, and stick with Aperture for my "serious" photography with "real cameras". It's easy enough to export RAWs into JPGs to import into Photos, so I can enjoy all my photos on my phone without having to depend on Photos for cataloging my important photography.

Of course I need to switch away from Aperture soon; Lightroom will likely be it. There's just not much very good software in this space.

I am thinking the same. I certainly could do without some of Aperture's advanced features for a time. I really don't want to use Lightroom.

I'm wondering: Do you think there is a way to do the heavy lifting in Aperture and import photos bit by bit (e.g., one Event at a time) until Photos becomes more solid? Is that even possible?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I am thinking the same. I certainly could do without some of Aperture's advanced features for a time. I really don't want to use Lightroom.

I'm wondering: Do you think there is a way to do the heavy lifting in Aperture and import photos bit by bit (e.g., one Event at a time) until Photos becomes more solid? Is that even possible?

You can do this, but unless you export the photos as "baked" JPGs (with the adjustments already in them) you will lose the adjustments.

The more I play with Photos, the more it feels like it uses a modified iPhoto/Aperture engine with a new UI tacked on. A lot of the concepts are similar, and if you peek into the library folder structure it looks almost identical to an iPhoto/Aperture library.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Are any of you using this with a "referenced " iPhoto library?

I tried it with a reference library. I have my main photos sorted in Dropbox folders. My experience with the reference library was that the thumbnails/ smart previews/ face detection ended up taking as much space as the original files. An imported library doesn't do that.

Long story short, it didn't work well for me.

Here's a link to the thread where I described how Photos.app works with a referenced library. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1851550/

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Question for all of those who have been using this longer:

Is there any way to change the UI colors? Even a hack, perhaps? I'm minding the app less as I use it, but I find it unpleasant to browse photos and thumbnails on a paper-white, 100% brightness background. Even Apple's own Aperture presented things on a darker background, and even the Photos app itself darkens the UI when you edit!

Why must it use surface-of-the-sun brightness for the UI? This should be fixable damnit.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
I find it unpleasant to browse photos and thumbnails on a paper-white, 100% brightness background. Even Apple's own Aperture presented things on a darker background, and even the Photos app itself darkens the UI when you edit!

I agree with you. I can't understand why they have cut down on some of the functionality compared to iPhoto. Doesn't make much sense to me.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think the purpose of "Photos" is to be like ios photos. On OSX it comes off as a badly designed poorly thought out simple photo and faces browser that has extremely limited customization options. I think it is geared towards kids and grandparents. I'm not really sure what I will use it for. It's a shame that Apple has seemingly abandoned any real useful tool here. There are other options of course, but I kind of feel bad for Apple giving up on this side of things.

jetmaster114

macrumors member
May 4, 2012
No sorting?

Is there no way to sort photos by filename, date, etc.? Doesn't seem to be and if that's the case it is utterly ridiculous! What are they thinking (or not thinking)?

When I import photos they just end up randomly sorted with previous photos.

----------

They need to have selective synching. As it stand now its all your photos to the cloud or none of them. I don't want 3,000 photos on my phone (even optimized). I'd like to just have my FAVORITES go to the cloud. How hard could that be to implement?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
They need to have selective synching. As it stand now its all your photos to the cloud or none of them. I don't want 3,000 photos on my phone (even optimized). I'd like to just have my FAVORITES go to the cloud. How hard could that be to implement?
I migrated my Aperture library and left the photos where they were - on the filesystem (ie referenced). In Photos, turn off the option to "Copy items to the photo library".

All the existing albums show on your iPhone but with no photos in them. To avoid it looking a total mess, I created a new album called "On my Macbook" and moved all the existing albums under that. Any photo which is referenced (ie not copied into the library) won't sync with iCloud.

I then created a smart album called iCloud and set it to show any photo not referenced. That has all the iCloud photos in it; i.e. the ones taken with my phone or ipad. If I'm done with a set of photos on my phone I export them where I want them on my filesystem, delete them from the cloud and re-import them into Photos (referenced). At the moment, I'm not using my old camera to take RAW photos, and when I do my workflow may not work.

I don't actually mind Photos as I wasn't really using the full feature set of Aperture anyway. I only got it as Apple had a "upgrade your dodgy version to a legit one for free" offer when I bought my Macbook so I immediately downloaded a dodgy version and upgraded.

I hope this is making sense. It makes sense in my head :)

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
For Aperture users, I would think you could use the File>Export Folder as New Library..." feature to create a subset of your Aperture library to convert to a new Photos system library, that would contain edits. Haven't tried it, but I don't think Photos would see that as different than any other library.

But that means that going forward you are still stuck with any new Aperture edits; you'd have to go through the process again and create another new Photos library. Yuck.

BTW, geotaggers: I wasn't able to use a third party app to geotag without having to completely reimport the photos into Photos. So make sure you do it BEFORE importing. HoudahGeo has a featue where I can reach into the Aperture or iPhoto library and do this, but I dunno if that's gonna be possible in Photos. Check with them.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I was thinking of doing the following, since I have a few hundred GB of RAW photos in my Aperture library.

1) Make all photos that are RAW referenced, with the originals in a "masters" directory on a disk that I keep backed up. This will basically archive all my old RAWs.

2) Convert the resulting much smaller Aperture library to Photos.

3) Turn iCloud Photo Library on.

Anyone know what will happen if I do this? Will the referenced RAWs be uploaded to iCloud? Can the generated previews still be seen on iOS devices?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
when I open the program I always have to disable and enable Photostream in the settings for it to appear on the left side. anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.