Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Hmmm perhaps the rumors that the only diff is the antenna needed to work with China Mobile are true. And there is no 'cheap iphone'

We will know in a few days
Each new leak the past few days...this makes the most sense...why would apple cheap the iPhone down to plastic in the US? It is surely to meet demands for a large smart phone market in china.

...Apple did this once before...the original iPhone (Edge, no 3G) had a mostly aluminum back, but they couldn't get a 3G signal to work with it, so they made the back plastic...until they found a way to put the antenna on the outside. Perhaps china has different type of signal where the antenna works best inside plastic (for now).

I'm betting this:

Tuesday 10th in US Apple announces new iPhone 5S w/iOS 7...but nothing about 5C
Wednesday 11th in China Apple announces new iPhone 5C w/iOS 7...but nothing about 5S

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Each new leak the past few days...this makes the most sense...why would apple cheap the iPhone down to plastic in the US? It is surely to meet demands for a large smart phone market in china.

...Apple did this once before...the original iPhone (Edge, no 3G) had a mostly aluminum back, but they couldn't get a 3G signal to work with it, so they made the back plastic...until they found a way to put the antenna on the outside. Perhaps china has different type of signal where the antenna works best inside plastic (for now).

I'm betting this:

Wednesday 11th in China Apple announces new iPhone 5C w/iOS 7...but nothing about 5S

I dont think so..
Because of the invitation. They wouldn't do this colorful bubble thing if they don't intent to release the iPhone 5C in the US. They had made different invitation designs if the 5C is only for China.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I dont think so..
Because of the invitation. They wouldn't do this colorful bubble thing if they don't intent to release the iPhone 5C in the US. They had made different invitation designs if the 5C is only for China.
Have you seen iOS 7? It is much brighter than past iOS's...the colors in invite are closer to iOS 7 than the 5C leaks. The dynamic wallpaper looks much like this, introduced in iOS 7 beta with just blue & gray, but, counting on more colors. Plus the 5S is rumored to have brighter colors, white, champagne gold, graphite instead of black.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Perhaps this is so - upon release of the 2014 iPhone 6, Apple can simply swap in the logic board of of the 5S into the plastic one and;

ta-da - iPhone 5CS!

Manufacture same logic board for two years, ship it in a plastic shell for the latter half.

But yes it could very well be that the logic board we've seen before was the 5C and since the 5S shell already leaked, everyone assumed logically that it was a board for the 5S because the screw points match?

Last edited:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Have you seen iOS 7? It is much brighter than past iOS's...the colors in invite are closer to iOS 7 than the 5C leaks. The dynamic wallpaper looks much like this, introduced in iOS 7 beta with just blue & gray, but, counting on more colors. Plus the 5S is rumored to have brighter colors, white, champagne gold, graphite instead of black.

The colors of the invitation are the 5C's colors. The "silver rings" is the 5C's white color. The 5S doesn't really have lighter colors? There are 2 colors with black glass pieces, and 2 colors with white glass pieces. The same two colors as last year (silver/white, and black/dark grey), and then also a white glass - champagne, and a black glass - grey [graphite].

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
The colors of the invitation are the 5C's colors. The "silver rings" is the 5C's white color. The 5S doesn't really have lighter colors? There are 2 colors with black glass pieces, and 2 colors with white glass pieces. The same two colors as last year (silver/white, and black/dark grey), and then also a white glass - champagne, and a black glass - grey [graphite].

The outline white circle cloud always be the fingerprint scanner :D

Gluben

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
I'm betting this:

I'd agree with that. Seems like Apple had to make some concessions to China Mobile in terms of hardware, but not software.

I think only China will get the 5C; everywhere else will get the 5S.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Knowing apple is the master of logistic and streamline efficiency from supplier this doesnt come as a surprise that the logic board is of the same size, but the gut could be different.

Come on sept 10th!!

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I'd agree with that. Seems like Apple had to make some concessions to China Mobile in terms of hardware, but not software.

I think only China will get the 5C; everywhere else will get the 5S.

C = China? Mind horn my friend....

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Is there any point in a keynote now?!

I think 99% of what's coming has been leaked.

It'd be brilliant if Tim Cook said: see the pictures holding all the leaked phones... that was my hand. And then the pic was zoomed out and showed Tim laughing out.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Using the same PCB design is very common, the raspberry pi board has the same thing for its A and B models. Any rerouting of traces necessary is done with zero ohm resistors. Open up an electronic device and you often see 'optional' parts of the PCB that we're never occupied by components.

Keeps cost down due to higher numbers produced (although this hardly applies to Apple as they do only big numbers anyway) and only 1 part to keep in stock, makes perfect sense.

As Apple makes both the A6 and A7 SoCs it's easy for them to make sure the same pinout is kept. I think it's very likely now to be an A6 for this reason.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Wednesday night in Ebay: Chinese sellers begin selling the new iPhone 5C at a price between what they paid for it there and what the 5S will cost here.

Thursday on craigslist: "New in box" 5Cs are for sale at prices above and below retail prices (some might have serial numbers scraped off).

Friday: Apple announces software update to fix some bug (but it also makes "black market" iPhones have functional problems outside of their intended markets).

Saturday: Hackers find a way around Apple's "fix" so that iPhones work as expected again.

<loop>
Monday: (repeat Friday)

Tuesday: (repeat Saturday)

</end loop>

Then, 3 weeks later: first rumor of the iPhone 6 begins and 3 people go ahead and get in line for it.

9 weeks later, some physical change rumor comes out- maybe bigger screen, maybe something else left out of the 5S & C, and most sling words like "abomination", "that's stupid", "Apple would never", etc.

20 weeks later, as that physical change rumor seems more likely, that same crowd will temper their passionate bashes into "wait & see" and similar.

About 52 weeks later- iPhone 6 rolls out with that hardware change and those same guys are gushing about the greatness of that feature: "how did we ever get by without <that feature>", "best iPhone ever", "shut up and take my money", etc... and then some of them start poking fun at those who don't have the latest & greatest and are thus living without that feature. By this point it will have made the complete transition from "abomination" to "absolutely essential."

Then, 3 weeks later: first rumor of the iPhone 6S or 7 begins and 3 people go ahead and get in line for it.

Last edited:

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
The only way to contain leaks is to make the announcement before the supply chain is involved. But that would mean waiting several months after announcements before the device arrived. Face it folks, there is no such thing as secrecy anymore (and really, almost no point in the event).

As a side note, I am looking forward to the Jony Ivy white background summary video about the holistic links of every design element in the new phones, and how they complete one's soul.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Actually, for now everyone is assuming that the iPhone 5C will have the same specs as the iPhone 5. It would be interesting if the iPhone 5C had better specs, in that it would show all the "know it all" guys how Apple could still surprise them.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I've bought every new iPhone the day they were released since the original, I think, and you know... I'm just not positive the 5S (or 5C) is going to have what it takes to get me to line up on day 1. It just seems so good already, and with iOS 7, it's going to feel like a brand new device.

We shall see! And who am I kidding, I'll most likely get one. :rolleyes:

I had every iPhone since the iPhone 3G - and I had it always on launch day. I never every had the urge to get in line for it - No device has what it takes to get me in line. Yes, I want it on launch day, that is why I pre-order. I always pre-order if possible so that I have it on launch day delivered to my door step without standing in line. I have better things to do than to spend my time in line waiting for something that I can get also delivered at the same time to my door step.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Knowing apple is the master of logistic and streamline efficiency from supplier this doesnt come as a surprise that the logic board is of the same size, but the gut could be different.

Come on sept 10th!!

Agreed. This could just be evidence of Apple consolidating for efficiency's sake.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Actually, for now everyone is assuming that the iPhone 5C will have the same specs as the iPhone 5. It would be interesting if the iPhone 5C had better specs, in that it would show all the "know it all" guys how Apple could still surprise them.

I'm expecting an improvement over the 5 in CPU/GPU and that's about it.
The 5C is going to be released worldwide, not just in a single country.
It will cost around $300, and be wildly successful, or more, and be a huge failure. It's not surprising it uses the same logic board as the 5S-the differences will be the add-on components--the camera module, the fingerprint scanner, battery, etc.

You people act like there is no one in the USA walking around with a $300 phone. Well, you're right in one regard, the AVERAGE person has a phone that cost much LESS than that! 5C could surpass 5S sales.

And ipod touch + GPS chip and cellular radio does not = > $300
Look at the hardware of the $200 nexus 4. Look at the hardware of the ipod touch. Now tell me with a straight face this will cost $400 to $500. Or the cost of TWO ipod touches. No way. The apple tax is only in play on flagship products. The appletv, mac mini, macbook air, etc. do not have an apple tax and neither will the 5C.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Friday: Apple announces software update to fix some bug (but it also makes "black market" iPhones have functional problems outside of their intended markets).

If the iPhone 5C is for China only then it's most likely a 5S or 5 with tweaked software that would only work on China Mobile's out of the norm system. So no software may be possible because it might not have hardware for anywhere else.

Oh and rumors about the iPhone 6 started like 4 months ago

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.