Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Either Tim Cook will be firing some people tomorrow, or someone took his double down statement as a challenge and is trying to embarrass TC.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
This is actually pretty sad as NVidias new chip sucks. Sucks watts that is. So I really hope this is a joke being played by somebody.
Do you actually have evidence to complain about Keplar's power/performance efficiency. nVidia's designs have traditionally not been power/performance efficient, but reviewers have specifically noted that this is not the case with Keplar. Keplar in fact seems to be more power/performance efficient than AMD's GCN. It doesn't seem coincidental that Apple would therefore choose now to switch back to nVidia.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/20

In any case, this has ended up being a launch not quite like any other. With GTX 280, GTX 480, and GTX 580 we discussed how thanks to NVIDIA’s big die strategy they had superior performance, but also higher power consumption and a higher cost. To that extent this is a very different launch – the GTX 680 is faster, less power hungry, and quieter than the Radeon HD 7970. NVIDIA has landed the technical trifecta, and to top it off they’ve priced it comfortably below the competition.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
"Praying that this is not true."

"I'm pretty upset right now. I wanted a redesign!"

"I want it to at least be thinner"

Because the current MacBook Pros look like absolute ****, amirite? They're so fat and clunky! That Jonathan Ive needs to learn what good design is! Why don't they call up Dell and HP and see what they're doing?

Oh, wait, they're all copying Apple.

You can never please everyone. And if Apple doesn't "wow" you tomorrow, you are the only person to blame for when you get your hopes up over rumors and speculation. It's a rumor, it's not what Apple is going to do, it's what Apple may do, based on mostly overseas sources with sketchy reputations. It's fun to guess, but you shouldn't hype yourself up on rumors. I heard that President Obama is buying us all ice cream tomorrow! I'm gonna be super disappointed if I can't walk into Baskin Robbins and get a free cup of ice cream! SO PISSED!

Here's what you should expect: Updated architecture to Ivy Bridge. USB 3. Faster memory. Better graphics. This is what we know, because this is what our vendors have out. Anything else should just be a nice surprise.

We've (well, some people in the Apple community) come to expect nothing short of Jesus himself in the form of a tablet, phone, or computer every time Apple makes an announcement. Do I think "Retina" displays are coming? Sure, eventually, just like 4K will hit TV's eventually. Am I going to be hurt tomorrow if Apple doesn't? No. I don't expect magic every time Apple has a press event. If you're always looking for that, you're setting yourself up for disappointment every time.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
650M is at least 30% faster then 6770M
overclock it a bit and you get your 660M

you whiners are worst then a baby!
get grip, that's a great performance upgrade

650.png

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I don't see what the big deal is anyway, its thin enough.

innovation = product development (figuring out how to make the best better)
advertisement = making you think that the current design is good enough to buy

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Sure makes a lot of sense to go with Nvidia whose yields are garbage and are months away from reaching capacity to support Apple never mind the rest of the PC Industry.

Meanwhile, AMD whose yields are high and chugging along with a superior product is not shown?

Do you folks realize that Apple designs test boards with both GPU vendors, by now?

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
MD
do yall really want a redesign though??? i love this design...ever since 2008.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Sure makes a lot of sense to go with Nvidia whose yields are garbage and are months away from reaching capacity to support Apple never mind the rest of the PC Industry.

Meanwhile, AMD whose yields are high and chugging along with a superior product is not shown?

Do you folks realize that Apple designs test boards with both GPU vendors, by now?
GK107 availability for mobile has been poor, but is GK107 really that bad? They specifically launched GK107 for mobile first, probably for yield reasons as you said, but they've since introduced GK107 based desktop cards for OEMs, and now GK107 is hitting desktop retail, so presumably production has ramped.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I'm sure there's going to be a redesigned Mac with a stunning Retina display!
Think about it, why would Apple wants to announces something old and uninteresting in WWDC? They can do it on the Apple website, just like last year right? (MacBook Pro in Feb, iMac in May, Air and mini in July)

Who's with me? :D

Attachments

• apple-2012.jpg
    apple-2012.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 90

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
^^I'm with you. It makes sense since a lot of people think Apple will be moving in the wrong direction with the passing of Jobs. This is a great chance for Cook to show what Apple is still capable of.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Tomorrow will be a good day. Either Apple announces something cool I want, or I finally just upgrade the SSD in my current macbook. Been waiting a month for this!

evalex

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
NVIDIA gpus mean Adobe CS users can get MPE (Mercury Playback Engine- a fancy hardware acceleration that only works with NVIDIA cards) capability on their macs without spending a fortune! It's as if Apple were listening to their pro users.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
They really may not need to alter the logic board to make it thinner. If they want to taper it like the Air, sure, but that wasn't what was indicated. What was rumored was a new MacBook Pro that is thinner, but specifically not tapered like the Air. The horizontal dimensions would remain the same, simply allowing for some vertical reduction with the removal of the ODD, ethernet & firewire ports.

I wouldn't say this rules out a redesign.

We could also be seeing a logic board for a 15" Pro that matches the existing design that will be launched in addition to the newer model. Remember that Apple is pursuing emerging markets, particularly China, more aggressively as of late. These markets are more dependent on optical media than the US, so it may be too soon to kill the ODD completely, but still offer a new design for those who are ready.

i really hope you are right and they do have a thinner/lighter design. once the mac mini got the odd dropped, i had no reason to doubt that apple would also drop the odd on their macbooks.

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
NVIDIA gpus mean Adobe CS users can get MPE (Mercury Playback Engine- a fancy hardware acceleration that only works with NVIDIA cards) capability on their macs without spending a fortune! It's as if Apple were listening to their pro users.

While I understand what you're saying, the Mercury Playback Engine is a competing product to theirs (Final Cut) so I don't think that played into the factor AT ALL. But I like the way you think.

GNSquacker

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
The 6 Series Nvidia M Class is powerful but I wonder how they will perform if Apple decides to go with the retina resolution for their Mac Lineup. Retina takes up a lot of juice and battery life, so the GPU has to work even when you do normal applications like iPhoto or Safari. Let's see how Apple counteracts that.
You're wrong, the GPU won't always be working. Intel said their Ivy Bridge chips Integrated Graphics 4000 can handle 4k (retina) resolutions natively/default

GNSquacker

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Hopefully there is a redesign but if not, that's fine too. I'll still buy the Mac, I need it.
Wishing Apple gives us the option to get rid of the ODD and go dual drive like the Mac Mini last year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.