Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No way it will be retina. That would mean the same iPad3 resolution on a smaller screen for even higher DPI. If its maintaining the iPad1/2 resolution on smaller screen it will have higher DPI already and look sharper. Super high resolution would drive up cost, need bigger battery etc. Make it harder to differentiate from iPad3.

Yeah, I've posted this and mentioned the PPI bump on a 1024x768 display on a 7.85" display several times too (~164PPI) I believe you're right on with your reasoning.

I'm confident this device will be A5 powered. 3Xnm version is low power, plenty fast, and even used in a brand new device (the current gen iPod Touch).

That would not be sufficient for a 2048x1536 display, the A5X I believe is done with the release of the A6 series, and the latter could be candidate, but based on the decision to use the A5 in the Touch - which is likely cost related - I don't see the new Mini product getting it either.

A 2048x1536 display at 7.85" would also require a higher density panel (it would wind up being 326PPI), not sure about the fabrication constraints - I guess they'd likely use the new Sharp panels from the iPhone 5[?]

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
At the right price, I'd be interested. My mom has been wanting an iPad for the longest time but didn't want to spend the entry price for one because she didn't really want one that bad. But with this at a price of, say $199 or $299, it'd be a rather attractive purchase to have a little tablet around the house.

Given the price of the iPod touch (already an iPad mini-mini), and the apple logo, I don't know where people are pulling these ridiculously low prices from. Apart from wishful thinking.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
This is surprising if true. Then again Apple would love to command even more of the tablet market. It's kinda dull at the moment, at least for me. Apple has owned this segment of the market since they released the original iPad, so it seems clear that they want to play very aggressively and not let Samsung get too much more of a foot-hole.

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
I really hope this is true! I really want an iPad Mini. I have an Android phone and I want at least one iOS device as well.

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
I would pay 300 for this even if it is a 8-16gb but I can't imagine apple would place it at this price point because it will be competing with there own ipod touch. I could only see 400$ for this device which is highly unfair and would steer buyers into getting a nexus 7.

s2h2golf

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
This is surprising if true. Then again Apple would love to command even more of the tablet market. It's kinda dull at the moment, at least for me. Apple has owned this segment of the market since they released the original iPad, so it seems clear that they want to play very aggressively and not let Samsung get too much more of a foot-hole.

According to this article, they are already losing traction at a fast pace. If they want to remain dominant in this area, a 7" iPad at the right price will keep them on track.

http://9to5google.com/2012/10/02/pe...o5Google+(9to5+Google+-+Beyond+Good+and+Evil)

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
It does look odd that the iPad Mini does not have these tapered edges as the iPad 2 and 3 have.

How else is the lightening connector supposed to fit?

I think iPad 4 will also look like the current iPhone.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
With all the rumors what I don't get is why would Apple release a mini iPad without updating the 'full size' one? If the Mini exists then IMO Apple will update the iPad line in one go, including the latest chips and 4G in both at the same time. When ir fi this happens is not clear right now, it could be October or early 2013, when the iPad has been traditionally updated.

What many want to know it where is the 2012 iMac???

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
As much as I want this to be real, there's just something about this that doesn't make sense. :rolleyes:

Ditto -- I want one in my office for jotting down notes. The current iPad is too large for that task. However, I'm not sure if Apple is ready to cannibalize the current iPad yet.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
And 1 year old internals (A5).

This is the only thing I could think of that would make it a product which fits in the Apple line of products.

There is no other argument to introduce this, because people who buy this, are now buying the iPad. So they are stealing from there own customers.

When it doesn't perform like an iPad, the people who will search a little will find games running much faster on the iPad, and some won't even run on the Mini.

Family and jung people will find the iPad more attractive for it being all-round.

They still steal there own customers.. but not that many. And they have a step-in product for new customers. Like they had with the 13" macbook, and iPod line. Everyone who is looking in the shop is tempted to not get the lowest one...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You know the iPhone 5 leaks didn't look legit either and that's because they were shells, unfinished products, rough around the edges. That's probably what we're seeing here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.