Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SK360

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Beaver, PA
Funny hearing you guys raving about Sync, assuming we're talking about regular sync and not MyFord Touch from microsoft... that system is the biggest hunk of **** and the reason we traded my wifes 2013 Escape in on the Volt.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Funny hearing you guys raving about Sync, assuming we're talking about regular sync and not MyFord Touch from microsoft... that system is the biggest hunk of **** and the reason we traded my wifes 2013 Escape in on the Volt.

The MyFordTouch has been great on my 2015 Fusion. I don't see what the problem is, but mostly likely user error. Plus I can do everything from buttons on the steering wheel.

SK360

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Beaver, PA
The MyFordTouch has been great on my 2015 Fusion. I don't see what the problem is, but mostly likely user error. Plus I can do everything from buttons on the steering wheel.

When we first got it about once a week the clock would not run overnight and would still be set to the time of when we shut the car off. That was eventually fixed by a software update but then about once a week my wife would get in the car to go to work and have no audio at all, not even the normal open door chimes. Turning it off and letting it sit for 5 mins would fix it.

The last straw was every so often the entertainment section on the home screen would show a power button and when you pressed it the quadrant would go blank and then return the power button after about a minute. Could not get into the entertainment section no matter what, the chimes would work just the radio portions acted like they couldn't be started. I fixed it once by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes but it happened again last week. Took it to the dealer and they did a Master Reset and it started working again. Car was traded in the next day.

Wasn't user error at all, was just a hunk of **** infotainment system and ford picking RIM to do their next generation Sync system says alot. Microsoft and Ford promised Applink coming to MyFord Touch since before we bought our escape and that never happened either after 2.5 years.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

yeah my 5.0 has the basic sync without MFT (but opted for the high end shaker pro audio). cant speak for MFT, but the basic sync is dare i say it, sublime. couldnt be happier, does exactly what i want and works extremely well.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
I can believe that in a couple years we will be in a good place with Ford and Sync 3.0.

There's been issues with the old Sync platform for a long time. Switching to QNX, and being willing to adopt things like Android Auto and Car Play could make it really interesting.

Ford really is the best car maker in the United States.

I'm would be great to see any car maker actually put something in he dash out of the factory that doesn't make us want to remove our fingernails with pliers.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I can believe that in a couple years we will be in a good place with Ford and Sync 3.0.

There's been issues with the old Sync platform for a long time. Switching to QNX, and being willing to adopt things like Android Auto and Car Play could make it really interesting.

Ford really is the best car maker in the United States.

I'm would be great to see any car maker actually put something in he dash out of the factory that doesn't make us want to remove our fingernails with pliers.

There's not a car that Ford makes that I don't like.

The Fusion is fantastic to drive.

The Taurus looks really nice for a big car. If I were 15 years younger, I'd be in a Focus ST. The F-150 is tried and true. The Explorer looks beautiful. All of Ford's redesigns are top notch.

JD Power ratings don't reflect the true quality of Ford. It seems Ford's quality rankings are due to MyTouch. Which mostly means people don't understand the technology and not use to having traditional buttons. JD Power dings for simply not liking something, not necessarily meaning reliable.

I guess that's why Toyota/Lexus are so hesitant to opt for more technology in their cars. They don't want people dinging their "reliability" ratings simply because the touch screens wasn't fast enough.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
There's not a car that Ford makes that I don't like.

The Fusion is fantastic to drive.

The Taurus looks really nice for a big car. If I were 15 years younger, I'd be in a Focus ST. The F-150 is tried and true. The Explorer looks beautiful. All of Ford's redesigns are top notch.

JD Power ratings don't reflect the true quality of Ford. It seems Ford's quality rankings are due to MyTouch. Which mostly means people don't understand the technology and not use to having traditional buttons. JD Power dings for simply not liking something, not necessarily meaning reliable.

I guess that's why Toyota/Lexus are so hesitant to opt for more technology in their cars. They don't want people dinging their "reliability" ratings simply because the touch screens wasn't fast enough.

I couldn't agree more.

I don't drive a Ford anymore, but it would be my next choice after VW.

SK360

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Beaver, PA
I would buy a Focus or Fiesta ST in a heartbeat but that's about it. MyFord Touch worked well when it worked but man it was painful from when we first got it. Thankfully software updates made it more stable but the random fits of not working was enough to get rid of the vehicle as well as the other issues like the 7 recalls for the 1.6L ecoboost in our escape.

Here is a video I recorded before the car went to the dealer for the last time. Don't mind the quality as I uploaded it on LTE.

https://youtu.be/PMRs7fa-xFA

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I would buy a Focus or Fiesta ST in a heartbeat but that's about it. MyFord Touch worked well when it worked but man it was painful from when we first got it. Thankfully software updates made it more stable but the random fits of not working was enough to get rid of the vehicle as well as the other issues like the 7 recalls for the 1.6L ecoboost in our escape.

Here is a video I recorded before the car went to the dealer for the last time. Don't mind the quality as I uploaded it on LTE.

https://youtu.be/PMRs7fa-xFA

Ya, that 1.6 was a mistake. It's no wonder they don't use it anymore. I have the 2.0 and it's a dream.

I'm planning on getting 12-15 years out of my Fusion. I'm pretty much done buying cars every few years. I got better things to do with my money these days, as I begin to travel more. I'll be 50 in 12 years (god willing) and I'll be getting a Lincoln (assuming they are still making reliable and stylish cars as they are doing today - giving Lexus a run for its money).

edit: Looks like they are bringing back the Ford Ranger truck... Ford is firing on all cylinders these days.

Last edited:

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Since this is a thread in the photo forum and there are no photos yet appearing on this page...

WS1_9652-Mar2115-by_t.jpg

I was down at Willow Springs last weekend with the Audi club.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Ya, that 1.6 was a mistake. It's no wonder they don't use it anymore. I have the 2.0 and it's a dream.

I'm planning on getting 12-15 years out of my Fusion. I'm pretty much done buying cars every few years. I got better things to do with my money these days, as I begin to travel more. I'll be 50 in 12 years (god willing) and I'll be getting a Lincoln (assuming they are still making reliable and stylish cars as they are doing today - giving Lexus a run for its money).

edit: Looks like they are bringing back the Ford Ranger truck... Ford is firing on all cylinders these days.

I'd have to imagine that the 1.6 is more of a result of the knee jerk "smaller engines will stop the world from falling down" issues we saw many years ago. I can remember a time where people were certain political enthusiasts were claiming that a $5 part could help an engine go to 40MPG but automakers were suppressing it. To add to that a certain Presidential candidate claimed that properly filling your tires would lead to a low enough cost in gas to offset current gas prices. Many 1.6 cars were designed in an era where politics and bad gas prices forced everyone to think a smaller liter engine was the best thing to do.

With that said, Ford has many fantastic cars with a 2.0 engine. Heck, it goes beyond that, my wife's 1.8T Passat could easily wipe the floor with my 2.0 VW CC. My current 2.0T VW GLI could wipe the floor with both.

As much as I would love to single out any car manufacturer for badly done 4 cylinder engines the reality is that most of them were designed during a time were the amount of oral methane from politicians exceeded the amount coming from bovine's lesser desired parts.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
It's crazy reading Americans' views on engines.

In the UK a 1.6 Petrol is fairly average/starting to become pretty big. 3cyl 1 litre engines, 1.2L 4cyl etc, all with turbos. 1.6L engine is in the hot hatch.

Majority of cars on the road in the UK are 4cyl I imagine.

ranviper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2010
Adirondacks, NY

In the UK a 1.6 Petrol is fairly average/starting to become pretty big. 3cyl 1 litre engines, 1.2L 4cyl etc, all with turbos. 1.6L engine is in the hot hatch.

I love my 1.8T, but there are few things as awesome as sitting behind a supercharged 6.0 liter V8. 'Merica.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

We don't get the good small engines in the states.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Best in class, IMO. The interior is so much better than the competition too.

The interior is very reminiscent of the current BMW 3-series.

The interior is really great. Soft touch materials everywhere and the seats are comfortable. All of the tech they borrowed from Audi and BMW works really well :D

I own the same car but in an iTouring Hatchback trim. I have to agree, compared to the competition it is a whole different class of car for the same price. One of my friends thought it was priced towards Tesla territory :eek: :D

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
The interior is really great. Soft touch materials everywhere and the seats are comfortable. All of the tech they borrowed from Audi and BMW works really well :D

I am in love with the almond colored interior they offer on the Mazda6...the interior alone is making me want the car. Bravo, Mazda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.