Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
All great points. My current car DOESN'T have a touch screen in the dash. So for the functionality this brings, I currently get by by using my iPad Mini, often in my lap or propped up in the center console. I don't fiddle with it while driving. For example, if I want to use a map app, I set up where I want to go before I'm driving and then click "start".

In the dash would be handier than on my lap or propped up in the middle. And that would apply either way. So I get right back to the idea that if one wanted to pay the cost for installing a touch screen, do they pay up for one vs. the other. Both can work. Both would involve tradeoffs.

In my own case, I already own an iPad Mini that I was probably going to retire/sell when the next one comes out. Maybe instead, I repurpose it to the car. If so, my screen costs $0. So all I'd have is installation labor + miscellaneous parts. In turn, it would run every app it runs now plus any others that I might ever want to be able to run in the car. This other option runs a handful of apps (go see for yourself on their site).

I'm not really arguing that one way or the other is best. My main issue is just cost vs. value of one way vs. the other. Obviously, in my own case, since I already possess the "screen", cost vs. value heavily favors going with the iPad install. However, if I had neither and wanted the much more narrow functionality of these Carplay options, maybe I'd go that way too.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
If you buy a BMW. you get bluetooth calling included in the price. To get bluetooth streaming of audio, you need the $2150 navigation system. You can be sure that when they have CarPlay they will require purchase of the navigation system, which sucks the big one and is always requiring updates.

I have an Audi with Audi Connect, which provides internet for the entire car, as well as a plug-in for the iPhone or iPad, which is controllable from the steering wheel. I can also make Ooma calls at no charge from my iPad, and the music plays through the B&O system, which is pretty good. The new Audis have and LTE connection which is pretty fast; the old was 3G. The Audi Connect app supplies internet radio stations. No need for CarPlay.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The $1400 price point which is about double that of an iPhone or iPad indicates there is considerable "value" in this market and may have 4-10x the volume at 3/4-1/2 that price point in mass-production.

We all know iCar is coming via iOS and a related appstore. The only question is not when, a few months after WWDC is that answer, but with what features?

It will be released with crippleware capability, like iPhone 1, and apps will be added very slowly like channels on Apple TV. It won't be like iPhone 5 or Roku.

Rocketman
1400 is the list price actual price will be south of 900 bucks

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
The top of the line unit is available on amazon for $1100 and the low end $629. I might go for it, I've thought about going the iPad route but to do it right would cost at least as much as the expensive unit with install hardware and not have the same functionality. Plus a monthly data plan.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
All great points. My current car DOESN'T have a touch screen in the dash. So for the functionality this brings, I currently get by by using my iPad Mini, often in my lap or propped up in the center console. I don't fiddle with it while driving. For example, if I want to use a map app, I set up where I want to go before I'm driving and then click "start".

(Snip)

I'm not really arguing that one way or the other is best. My main issue is just cost vs. value of one way vs. the other. Obviously, in my own case, since I already possess the "screen", cost vs. value heavily favors going with the iPad install. However, if I had neither and wanted the much more narrow functionality of these Carplay options, maybe I'd go that way too.

In my case, music is important. GPS is a close second. Using the music app at arm's length just doesn't work for me, and Siri is maybe 80% accurate when I use it to start playback, which isn't quite good enough. I couldn't care less about video. If kids in the back need video, they can use my iPad (in a case).

CarPlay supports Spotify as a partner, has better Podcast support than previous options (although the new update with Siri helps a ton), and it does has GPS. Unfortunately, I need offline maps for CarPlay to totally replace the nav in the 8000NEX. I got the 8000 because if had good maps, the nav is actually not terrible, and I needed iPod/Pandora at the very least, preferably Spotify. The nav has been about as expected (coming from Garmin), and I could have waited years for CarPlay to mature. But with this update, I'll probably be trying to use it as much as possible. I can still use the embedded nav when I need offline maps, which is actually ideal for me while I wait for that part to mature in CarPlay.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The top of the line unit is available on amazon for $1100 and the low end $629. I might go for it, I've thought about going the iPad route but to do it right would cost at least as much as the expensive unit with install hardware and not have the same functionality. Plus a monthly data plan.

How do you figure the "at least as much as the expensive unit"? Are you talking about iPad + install + "miscellaneous parts" = X and then comparing X to the unit-only price of the "expensive unit"?

There are already lots of iPad install kits online for <$200. I bet if one tries, they can find a local shop to do the whole install for <$200. So then, it's cost of iPad + whole install vs. high or low-end Car Play screen + whole install.

----------

In my case, music is important. GPS is a close second. Using the music app at arm's length just doesn't work for me, and Siri is maybe 80% accurate when I use it to start playback, which isn't quite good enough. I couldn't care less about video. If kids in the back need video, they can use my iPad (in a case).

Using the app at arms length will be the same either way. Either option would be installed the same distance away.

Siri being 80% accurate should be the same too. Or is Car Play Siri superior to iDevice Siri?

I also love music but, since even the click wheel iPod days for me, I select a favorite playlist or album and hit play. There's no more "fiddling with it" when only the music I want to hear is playing, commercial-free.

I could care less about video too when I'm driving. But the example of video is not so that the driver can be distracted but more about the flexibility of having access to ALL iOS apps instead of just the handful that appear to be available via Car Play. Video is just one very common, in-car application for such screens that makes for a good example.

How about finding a nice restaurant when in another city? Will Carplay have the yelp app? Or 50 others like it? How about easy access to apps laying out local happenings/shows/etc? Will Carplay have such apps? Sure, the thinking probably goes we'll just get the other apps running on the iPhone when we get there- which is true- but, the other way means the option exists for them to be pulled up in the dash screen as well. While the driver focuses on driving, the passenger could find the best restaurant or locate the local happening that is must see.

Again, not saying one is entirely superior to the other; I just continue to question tangible value vs. cost. Maybe Carplay (or Carplay 2) will make every app on the iPhone run on the dash screen?

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Surprised by the macrumors community these days

I see a lot of whining and what I consider to be technologically ignorant statements regarding carplay and pioneer. I'm not blasting, just stating what I see.
First - I had an appradio 3, I purchased the AVH-4000NEX when I heard carplay would work on it soon. It cost $560 on Amazon and has a 7" screen. I sold my appradio 3 on ebay for $380 (I spent $400 plus a $50 cable). I think the 4000NEX is just as good as the 8000 for me, same screen size although no capacitive touch, no nav...but what do I care, I will have nav with carplay, apple maps at first and probably more later. Not sure why people have a rough time installing there own car stereo...go to crutchfield and they will give you everything you need and provide pictures of each step.
Second - Carplay is genius from a business standpoint. It starts out small....wait until it is in a few million cars. Just like when the iphone came out, Steve Jobs publicly said he was against the idea of 3rd party apps, he had not idea at that time what apps would do to the way the internet is utilized. I think he changed his view a bit later (sarcasm). Carplay will open up all sorts of app driven information and capabilities to the car, BUT with the emphasis of them being approved for use on carplay. This means they will require little physical user interface and use Siri in order to be safe on the road. This is NOT an instant money maker for Apple, but in the long run it opens an entirely new catagory of uses for the iPhone. More reasons to live in the iPhone/Apple ecosystem.

I loved my appradio 3 and love my 4000NEX. I listen to podcasts, itunes radio, my own music library, send texts and emails using siri. I'm very excited to have carplay coming so I can interface with these apps more cleanly and I'm looking forward to more apps that work with carplay.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Pioneer device: $900 or $1400
Install + Labor: (same) $200
Miscellaneous parts: (same) $100

Or are we pretending the lowest price we can find for the device itself will include installation and miscellaneous parts?

Yes, installing an iPad means no AM/FM but it does come with many radio apps so one needs to judge the value of AM/FM in the car. Personally, I don't think I've played AM in maybe 2+ years. FM does get a little action by a teenager but she gets frustrated with the commercials and switches to CDs pretty quickly. In the wife's car, she has an old iPod linked into the system such that the AM/FM pretty much gets NO play.

Using VOIP apps on my mini, I get phone calls and can make them- just like anyone using an iPhone. In fact, in my own case, my iPad works GREAT as my "iPhone".

I can't speak to the ease of use of a Pioneer Carplay interface vs. an iPad Mini interface but it's hard to imagine special case iOS to be a LOT easier to use than iOS. Some? Yes. Lots? Harder to see.

Here's the downsides as I see them:
  • No AM/FM receiver
  • Pioneer install has the option for a car rear-camera to display on that screen
  • Size- the pioneer screen appears to be about 1 inch smaller than a mini screen so it may be easier to fit the deck into tighter spaces in the central console
  • Per post #38, it may or may not prove to be compatible with steering wheel controls (but I wonder if some such controls may or may not work with a third party Pioneer screen install too)

Against that, consider what seems like moderate-to-much higher cost, limited app options, easy replacement of AM/FM with radio apps, full iOS instead of something less.

Once more: I'm not trying to put it down much- just trying to rationalize price vs. what one gets vs. another option.

Ok, You caught me on the price shenanigans :p

But the lack of integration from my phone to car is a complete deal breaker for me. You may use VOIP but the majority of people dont. All my calls and messages will be coming to my phone, not being able to have it on my dash and have it easy to use defeats the purpose of a smart system in the car.

This problem would only become worse as more apps start to come on to Carplay and your data is not always synced.

Based on the pictures of the interface, it will be a fair amount of difference just looking at size of the icons. Not to mention all the apps that appear on Carplay will have their GUI optimized for the distance it is being operated at as well.

At the end of the day it comes down to preference. I dont mind paying a little extra for the seamless integration.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I have; but at least those are fully integrated. A $1400 after market head unit with a need to tether to an iPhone is hardly a strong implementation tactic. Why isn't Apple doing what many have called for, with just iPad installation into the dash? Hard wire power behind the dash, and it would look just like video consoles today...

Until then, mounting an iPad mini/Nexus 7 will be perfect for me.

Oh I see. You are only going to compare the top of the line device to try and prove your argument like its a fair comparison. I see.

In reality, the bottom end cellular iPAD mini is $549. That's not including the accessories you need to purchase and the custom installation you need to have made to your car to fit an iPad in your car.

The bottom end of the NEX devices that support CarPlay are $700. So for $150 you get a fully functioning multimedia entertainment system in your car that also supports CarPlay. AND doesn't require custom installation. This includes a CD/DVD player, USB card reader, radio tuner, HDMI input, Rear Camera view input and a bunch of audio features that the iPad Mini doesn't necessarily have with out a bunch of accessories.

But yeah you can keep comparing the $1400 NEX unit to your iPad Mini or Nexus 7 as if they are 1 to 1 and thats all it'll cost. Yeah you can do that.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
OK. In my car there's an in-dash AUX port. So a simple (hidden) wire from headphone out to AUX in would "connect my iPad to the car's amplifier" and thus speakers.

I agree with you 100%. and who the hell would need to use their apps WHILE DRIVING?!?! I use my phone for navigation once in a while on long trips but it's something that i simply set and forget: punch in the destination and then just follow the audible directions, once in a while looking at the screen...

There are tons of people that have put ipad mini's in their dashes and i feel like, with cars now coming with AUX ports that you can simply plug your phone/tablet into, it's a no-brainer.

The only demand for these units will be by car companies because it's another tack-on that they can gouge us on the price for...

I take it you guys haven't actually used an AUX input on a car. Because THAT is a tacky add-on that makes you have more distractions in order to use it. The point of CarPlay is to be able to join a few appropriate phone functions with the car radio system, and keep it "safe" for driving time. Now, whether it will do it well is something I don't know. But many in these threads seem to not get the point of the system in the first place.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Oh I see. You are only going to compare the top of the line device to try and prove your argument like its a fair comparison. I see.

In reality, the bottom end cellular iPAD mini is $549. That's not including the accessories you need to purchase and the custom installation you need to have made to your car to fit an iPad in your car.

The bottom end of the NEX devices that support CarPlay are $700. So for $150 you get a fully functioning multimedia entertainment system in your car that also supports CarPlay. AND doesn't require custom installation. This includes a CD/DVD player, USB card reader, radio tuner, HDMI input, Rear Camera view input and a bunch of audio features that the iPad Mini doesn't necessarily have with out a bunch of accessories.

So for that $700, there's no "custom installation" and "no accessories" required? I went to the Apple store but don't see that "bottom end" price of $549. I see one at $429 though: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-mini and the refurb store should soon have them "on sale" for about 15% or more off that.

Is CD/DVD important to an iDevice owner? Aren't those ripped and synched?
Is USB card reader important to an iDevice owner? While driving?
Is a radio tuner important to an iDevice owner while driving? If so, is iRadio, Pandora, etc. not a good enough substitute?
Is HDMI input important in a car? For what exactly?

Rear camera is very nice and a true advantage if the car has the rear camera hooked up.
A "bunch of audio features" may or may not be important to everyone based on what's in those bunches that are not in a similar setup using an iPad.

So even down at $700 there's still installation and "accessories" vs. $429 (or less in the refurb store) plus installation and "accessories. The former has certain advantages both tangible and intangible; however, the latter does too. For example, the latter will run a multitude of apps that doesn't appear to likely be available via Carplay.

Personally, I just don't see the economic argument working at all. Every time it's slung, it seems we have to project a higher-priced iPad plus ambiguous costs of installation and accessories vs. the lowest-price-anywhere of the Pioneer unit itself that apparently magically installs itself. There's certainly value in some of the things that the Pioneer can do that the mini option can't but that goes both ways. Key is seeing enough special value in carplay to justify the cost vs. the iPad install concept vs. continuing to use iDevices in your car however you might now without any special in-dash mountings.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

But yeah you can keep comparing the $1400 NEX unit to your iPad Mini or Nexus 7 as if they are 1 to 1 and thats all it'll cost. Yeah you can do that.

You might want to add that the last $200 for the top NEX is for a motorized screen to hide it away. That's not a main radio or iPad feature.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Using the app at arms length will be the same either way. Either option would be installed the same distance away.

Siri being 80% accurate should be the same too. Or is Car Play Siri superior to iDevice Siri?

The problem is that when Siri fails, you can either use an iPad (Mini) with small touch targets, or you can use something that is actually built to be used at arm's length with larger tap targets.

The iPad Mini in particular is downright nasty to use at that length because the tap targets are the same size as on the iPhone (which are pretty small). You can't really fat finger around like you can with the existing double-DIN head units. Period. CarPlay is about adapting the UI to work better with the existing controls (steering wheel, knobs in luxury cars, larger touch targets when touch is used). Something you do not get from an iPad install.

I also love music but, since even the click wheel iPod days for me, I select a favorite playlist or album and hit play. There's no more "fiddling with it" when only the music I want to hear is playing, commercial-free.

I could care less about video too when I'm driving. But the example of video is not so that the driver can be distracted but more about the flexibility of having access to ALL iOS apps instead of just the handful that appear to be available via Car Play. Video is just one very common, in-car application for such screens that makes for a good example.

Long trips are long. Being able to select something new quickly and efficiently is a benefit. It's funny that immediately after this you talk about flexibility, but dismiss this flexibility of being able to fat finger something up quickly with minimal distractions.

And I'm not convinced ultimate flexibility is a terribly useful feature by itself. It still has to serve some purpose. Saying "I can do more with X" doesn't really mean there is value there, as you then say you don't actually want to do X. So why does it have value?

How about finding a nice restaurant when in another city? Will Carplay have the yelp app? Or 50 others like it? How about easy access to apps laying out local happenings/shows/etc? Will Carplay have such apps? Sure, the thinking probably goes we'll just get the other apps running on the iPhone when we get there- which is true- but, the other way means the option exists for them to be pulled up in the dash screen as well. While the driver focuses on driving, the passenger could find the best restaurant or locate the local happening that is must see.

What'd be even better is if the passenger needs to be the one to do it, have a way to send it TO the dash-connected phone while the passenger uses their own device to do the search. It helps keep it out of my field of view. And we do have the means to do that (AirDrop + Messages). It'd be better if there was some automatic process where Siri steps in and asks if you want to go there, as a way to bridge devices more cleanly in this scenario.

Doubly useful would be better Siri integration so that some of these tasks can be done by the driver without having to take their eyes off the road. Then I'd be more convinced that more functionality should integrate into the dash, but that leads me to my next point...

Again, not saying one is entirely superior to the other; I just continue to question tangible value vs. cost. Maybe Carplay (or Carplay 2) will make every app on the iPhone run on the dash screen?

It shouldn't allow every app to run on the dash. Apps need to have a UI designed for the dash screen, with big touch targets and a different flow that reduces distractions. You can't just bolt stuff in and hope for the best (I tried a Mini for a week or so in a mount, I hated the experience beyond Navigation, and sometimes even then). Not to mention the regulations Apple/Pioneer/MirrorLink face for this stuff as it is. It is part of the reason why rollouts have been slow of this sort of integration. The upside here is that Apple can roll out features entirely within their ecosystem and get developers on board. Pioneer had to convince folks to pay for extra certification beyond what Apple already did.

That said, this is the first generation, it isn't complete, and no the value prop isn't there for everyone. But you keep saying you aren't claiming one is better than the other, but you keep asking the same question over and over again about value vs cost. Isn't that how you are defining better in this case? The value it gives you at the cost it asks?

At this point you are pretty much starting to fall into an argument of repetition, as you aren't seemingly willing to accept the intangible value some of us see in CarPlay that goes beyond what the iPad as a head unit can provide, but hammering the idea of monetary cost until nobody cares. Hell, for me, an iPad Mini has negative value as a head unit because of the size of the touch targets alone. It introduces risks that weren't there prior to installing it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I take it you guys haven't actually used an AUX input on a car. Because THAT is a tacky add-on that makes you have more distractions in order to use it. The point of CarPlay is to be able to join a few appropriate phone functions with the car radio system, and keep it "safe" for driving time. Now, whether it will do it well is something I don't know. But many in these threads seem to not get the point of the system in the first place.

I use AUX all the time. Works just fine. I've never felt "distracted" or that it is "tacky". But even if it was tacky and caused some distraction, that option is free vs. $700 or $900 or $1400 depending on who is posting.

I think I'm one of those not getting the point of the system unless I set aside the cost vs. value question. If I don't care much about what it costs, then I can see it as fantastic, magical wow for the car. It's kind of like giving the car it's own iPad in landscape mode. It's when I look at the cost vs. what I'm doing now with an iPad in the car and what I could do with an iPad mounted in the car that it starts making me not get the point.

It reminds me of how some will take the stance of the "future" with "stream everything from the cloud" arguments against the backdrop of ever-tighening tiers by the toll masters that link us to the cloud. Pretending like the money doesn't matter makes the "stream everything from the cloud" argument make a lot of sense. But then you bring in the money variable and it too makes me lose the point.

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
So the only unit they support iCarPlay on is one that already has navigation and via Bluetooth can do most of what iCarPlay can?!?!

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I use AUX all the time. Works just fine. I've never felt "distracted" or that it is "tacky". But even if it was tacky and caused some distraction, that option is free vs. $700 or $900 or $1400 depending on who is posting.

I think I'm one of those not getting the point of the system unless I set aside the cost vs. value question. If I don't care much about what it costs, then I can see it as fantastic, magical wow for the car. It's kind of like giving the car it's own iPad in landscape mode. It's when I look at the cost vs. what I'm doing now with an iPad in the car and what I could do with an iPad mounted in the car that it starts making me not get the point.

It reminds me of how some will take the stance of the "future" with "stream everything from the cloud" arguments against the backdrop of ever-tighening tiers by the toll masters that link us to the cloud. Pretending like the money doesn't matter makes the "stream everything from the cloud" argument make a lot of sense. But then you bring in the money variable and it too makes me lose the point.
What value do u see in CarPlay?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Just bought myself a Nissan Qashqai. It has a small app store so I hope they put CarPlay in it as well..
Wishful thinking?

It's probably a wishful thinking, but very short sighted if you ask me.

Car manufacturers often think that folks would buy a new car if they hold out on certain software features. What they don't realize is that they can make money by rolling out features like CarPlay (I bet many would pay decent sum if it's bundled with a map update) and folks may use the opportunity to buy entirely different manufacturer altogether, one that is known to treat customers better.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Properly and widely implemented, CarPlay should actually reduce the costs of good in-car multimedia systems, not increase it.

The point of CarPlay is that in the current market, every automaker is using their own multimedia system that tends to have a poor ui, poor performance, and is rarely updated. Cars have a lifespan of more than 10 years, but their electronics often appear dated before they are delivered to the customer. The Entune system on my Prius has a virtually worthless navigation system and an extremely limited selection of apps - basically Pandora and Iheartradio. CarPlay is exactly what I'd prefer - just give me access to my own apps that I already know how to use and can count on getting regular updates.

I do think the two big downsides are a) needing a wired connection and b) that Apple will undoubtedly keep the list of compatible apps very short, at least early on. Hopefully they will be fairly liberal with developer access once the system starts to grow.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I think you have offered an expiation of getting "the point" based upon a question of "why carplay?" I get that. Relative to what else is out there, your post does a great job. My not quite getting the point is "why carplay vs. an in-dash mini?" Both get me Apple iOS, Apple UI quality, etc while one gets me unlimited app access vs. walled garden within a walled garden lock-down (at least at first). Mix in cost differences, etc and the point for me fogs.

But that's just for me. Plenty have taken the other side and argued passionately why it's better than an in-dash mini. To each his own.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think you have offered an expiation of getting "the point" based upon a question of "why carplay?" I get that. Relative to what else is out there, your post does a great job. My not quite getting the point is "why carplay vs. an in-dash mini?" Both get me Apple iOS, Apple UI quality, etc while one gets me unlimited app access vs. walled garden within a walled garden lock-down (at least at first). Mix in cost differences, etc and the point for me fogs.

But that's just for me. Plenty have taken the other side and argued passionately why it's better than an in-dash mini. To each his own.

Having a system that integrates into the entire car is important to most consumers buying new cars. The display handles not just the multimedia, but often all sorts of other car functions and settings. How do you integrate bluetooth calling (or calling of any sort, for that matter) into an iPad?

These systems are now highly integrated, but CarPlay gives a route that doesn't tie you to a specific manufacturer's implementation. I would submit that it needs to go further where there is an open system that allows you to interface with any of the major mobile platforms, but that may be a dream.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Having a system that integrates into the entire car is important to most consumers buying new cars. The display handles not just the multimedia, but often all sorts of other car functions and settings. How do you integrate bluetooth calling (or calling of any sort, for that matter) into an iPad?.

I make and take calls all the time on my ipad. It works fine for phone functions. It doesn't come with Apple's VOIP app but there are plenty of others in the app store that work well. iPad also has Bluetooth.

So getting beyond carplay apps, what are these other functions that this pioneer hardware pushed into a wide swath of non-pioneer-made cars going to do? Not saying there aren't some (for instance, rear camera view on screen if your car has a rear camera and AM/FM, etc) but what else? Maybe that's what I'm missing in this carplay vs iPad mini in-the-dash debate. If it brings "all sorts of other functions" to any car in which it is installed, THAT's probably where the value issue is addressed IMO.

Last edited:

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
But before we put a $1400 touchscreen device into our car so that it can utilize a few of the apps of iOS, why not just buy a "whole" iPad or iPad mini and get that installed instead? At $1400, one could install 2-3 "whole" iPads so that passengers could use more than one screen for more than 1 purpose. I think this is cool and all but I have a hard time seeing the utility of $1400 for limited functionality vs. full functionality for as little as $399 (plus installation). A quick look around has iPad install kits for <$200.

The low end model is priced at $700 including the install kit and according to Cruthfield it will be receiving the update too. What you also fail to mention is that you now have an additional monthly fee on your cell phone bill to cover the extra data. Sure you can jailbreak and tether, but the vast majority of consumers are not going to do this.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008

Let me know when you can make your magic iPad mini fit into a double DIN spot, utilize the preexisting in-car features, and not cost extra for a data plan. Maybe then I will consider that as a potential solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.