Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
In my opinion iPhone 5 is one of the smoothest devices running iOS 9 (6S is ok with that brute force it has.)

Yes, iPhone 5 is smooth.

It's 32-bit and doesn't have Swift or Metal, Objective-C and OpenGL only.

Swift and Metal are dissapointing for now.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
In my opinion iPhone 5 is one of the smoothest devices running iOS 9 (6S is ok with that brute force it has.)

Yes, iPhone 5 is smooth.

It's 32-bit and doesn't have Swift or Metal, Objective-C and OpenGL only.

Swift and Metal are dissapointing for now.

Another person saying the same thing I had read all over the place.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Here is visual evidence of Apple's crap optimisation for old devices and how even a budget Windows Phone beats it in that department.

Here is the horrible scroll stutter on my iPhone 6

And here is my Lumia 730 running the very same website silky smooth 60 fps and it cost me $120 (less than a quarter of my iPhone's price) around a year ago and it's wrecking my iPhone in smoothness.My Lumia has already been through 2 Windows versions and it's on Windows 10 in the video

And If someone wants I can Make a similar video with a Galaxy S6 which demolishes both of the above devices in scroll smoothness

But planned obsolescence does not exist according to some here.Yeah...

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Here is visual evidence of Apple's crap optimisation for old devices and how even a budget Windows Phone beats it in that department.

And here is my Lumia 730 running the very same website silky smooth 60 fps and it cost me $120 (less than a quarter of my iPhone's price) around a year ago and it's wrecking my iPhone in smoothness.My Lumia has already been through 2 Windows versions and it's on Windows 10 in the video

And If someone wants I can Make a similar video with a Galaxy S6 which demolishes both of the above devices in scroll smoothness

which website is that and what browser are you using? I'd like to see how it is using a 6s

Reactions: dk001

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong but Firefox is coded in Swift and is available for 32 bit devices
I don't know, is it?

And people who don't see that kind of stutter/lag on their devices...theirs some from a batch that wasn't part of the planned obsolescence bucket test?

Reactions: nj1266

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
which website is that and what browser are you using? I'd like to see how it is using a 6s

It's windowscentral.com but you can even reproduce it on imore,android central,androidpolice.Browser is Google Chrome
I don't know, is it?

And people who don't see that kind of stutter/lag on their devices...theirs some from a batch that wasn't part of the planned obsolescence bucket test?
Dude,you are officially in denial at this point.Cant you see the lag on my iPhone I posted above?You mean to tell me that doesn't happen on other iPhone 6?Because if that's what you mean to say I can also show you a video of the same thing on my iPad Air 2.

Face it.Lumia 730>iPhone 6 in scrolling in apps.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
This has been going on for years in all industries. It's 2016.. wake up. How can any company be profitable and employ so many people if they design a product that lasts forever? They figured this out long ago. The way to be successful in business is not to provide a solution but to create a dependency. Why on Earth would Apple or any other company stray from this very successful methodology?

Reactions: dk001 and Ladybug

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's windowscentral.com but you can even reproduce it on imore,android central,androidpolice.Browser is Google Chrome

Dude,you are officially in denial at this point.Cant you see the lag on my iPhone I posted above?You mean to tell me that doesn't happen on other iPhone 6?Because if that's what you mean to say I can also show you a video of the same thing on my iPad Air 2.

Face it.Lumia 730>iPhone 6 in scrolling in apps.
That is exactly what I was saying there. I have not seen that kind of stutter/lag. Perhaps the denial lies elsewhere.

Reactions: jhuynh

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015

Your not using safari....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I own some godly iDevices which perform differently from everyone else's?:rolleyes:
I don't know, but considering we see people post about all kinds of things that many others never experience at all is it really that hard to imagine that some people have issues that others don't have or have issues that are more pronounced compared to others? Are we really back to trying to imply that there can't be some differences? The very threads in these forums conclusively prove otherwise about all kinds of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: nj1266

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Does it happen with Safari? If it does not then, it could be Chrome. Second, what version of iOS are you running?

Did you try to restore the phone as new and then try it with only the Chrome app and that website and see if the stutter goes away?

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Seems like that page is a bit twitchy on Safari viewed as a desktop page. But nothing I would be to concerned about if it's not a page I visit often.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does it happen with Safari? If it does not then, it could be Chrome. Second, what version of iOS are you running?

Did you try to restore the phone as new and then try it with only the Chrome app and that website and see if the stutter goes away?
I've tried those pages in both Safari and Chrome on an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.2 and definitely do not see any stutter/lag that comes even close to what is in the video that was attached.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

With Safari the stutter is substantially less but it's still jittery,not as smooth as my Lumia.TBH scrolling jas been borked for me ever since I upgraded to iOS 9.My iPhone was smoother than my Lumia on 8.4.1 and 9 ruined it.

I am using iOS 9.3.I am considering to do a clean install since the issue is unbearable on Tapatalk and Facebook
I've tried those pages in both Safari and Chrome on an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.2 and definitely do not see any stutter/lag that comes even close to what is in the video that was attached.

And so my iPhone has hardware flaws?
You cannot accuse Apple of planned obsolescence, because of bad performance in Google Chrome.

I tried this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/369708-windows-10-im-installing-thread.html

on an iPad Air with iOS 9.2 in Safari and scrolling is absolutely 60 fps smooth.
It's lagging on my iPad Air 2 but it's nowhere near my iPhone

I really don't know what to say at this point

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With Safari the stutter is substantially less but it's still jittery,not as smooth as my Lumia.TBH scrolling jas been borked for me ever since I upgraded to iOS 9.My iPhone was smoother than my Lumia on 8.4.1 and 9 ruined it.

I am using iOS 9.3.I am considering to do a clean install since the issue is unbearable on Tapatalk and Facebook

And so my iPhone has hardware flaws?

It's lagging on my iPad Air 2 but it's nowhere near my iPhone

I really don't know what to say at this point
Seems like that point has already been addressed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/planned-obsolescence.1947631/page-23#post-22472791

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Than is it a coincidence that my iPad Air 2 is showing the same stutter?I bought the iPad on launch day so it surely can't be from the same batch

And the same exact response applies to that as well.

NayborAxi

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
I have same issues as you with all my idevices on ios +9 except for my new 6s plus where its smooth atm. I won't be updating my phone for a loooooong time Im getting tired of this crap that apple is pulling on all old devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ladybug

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Than is it a coincidence that my iPad Air 2 is showing the same stutter?I bought the iPad on launch day so it surely can't be from the same batch

Chrom is the issue, stop using a second rate browser. Also, if you have a poor internet connection and open a media heavy website containing lots of ads you get similar jerkiness (not as bat but a bit of stutter as it fetches the ads from other url's). Run an ad blocker in safari (or use filtered DNS on older devices) silky smooth.

This applies to desktops etc too, websites in general, especially endless scrolling ones, are infinitely quicker to load if you block the adverts.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Chrom is the issue, stop using a second rate browser. Also, if you have a poor internet connection and open a media heavy website containing lots of ads you get similar jerkiness (not as bat but a bit of stutter as it fetches the ads from other url's). Run an ad blocker in safari (or use filtered DNS on older devices) silky smooth.

This applies to desktops etc too, websites in general, especially endless scrolling ones, are infinitely quicker to load if you block the adverts.
Are you sure Chrome is the issue? iOS 8 didn't have these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.