Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
And the
same exact response applies to that as well.

That's bad. I can't claim my devices are perfect, which is an unattainable bar, but nothing remotely close to that video.

Are you guys for real?The chances of ONLY MY iPad Air 2,iPad Mini,iPhone 6 being the ONLY devices to have scroll stutter and others being silky smooth is LOLworthy

Chrom is the issue, stop using a second rate browser. Also, if you have a poor internet connection and open a media heavy website containing lots of ads you get similar jerkiness (not as bat but a bit of stutter as it fetches the ads from other url's). Run an ad blocker in safari (or use filtered DNS on older devices) silky smooth.

This applies to desktops etc too, websites in general, especially endless scrolling ones, are infinitely quicker to load if you block the adverts.

Not only Chrome,happens on Tapatalk and Facebook too.I am on a 100Mbit connection and using Weblock to block the ads.Safari is better but still not perfect like it was on 8.4.1 where scrolling was SILKY BUTTERY SMOOTH

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Are you guys for real?The chances of ONLY MY iPad Air 2,iPad Mini,iPhone 6 being the ONLY devices to have scroll stutter and others being silky smooth is LOLworthy

Not only Chrome,happens on Tapatalk and Facebook too.I am on a 100Mbit connection and using Weblock to block the ads.Safari is better but still not perfect like it was on 8.4.1 where scrolling was SILKY BUTTERY SMOOTH
Tried hard to replicate this so I tested Windows central with Safari on an iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus (with 9.3 beta), iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini 2 all on iOS 9.2 and on an Pad Pro. Silky smooth scrolling on the main page and in articles. Tested on wifi and 3/4G.

So yeah, think it's something you are doing/running on your equipment.

Reactions: I7guy

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007

Well now you're opening up a whole new can of worms. 3rd party apps bring you into muddy waters. Blame can rest on either of the two parties involved. I would blame the 3rd parties for not updating their apps to work well with iOS 9.

Also, Chrome is terrible on iOS. It's not even Chrome, it's just a slow Webkit skin named Chrome. Why anyone would use Chrome on iOS is beyond me, as it lags on every iOS device I've ever tested with it.

I just switched to Android, and I don't even use it there... it's slow as molasses on Google's own platform. It seems they can't get mobile right.

This message was sent on a Windows 10 desktop using my default browser, Chrome.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Seems a good probability it's something specific to your devices.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Seems a good probability it's something specific to your devices.
iOS 9 stutters. Don't start a discussion every time. All the demo phones at the Apple Store do as well. Has been discussed and proven to be true many times. Don't go there.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iOS 9 stutters. Don't start a discussion every time. All the demo phones at the Apple Store do as well. Has been discussed and proven to be true many times. Don't go there.
Please stop with these mass generalizations. We know iOS 9 is not perfect, as iOS 8 was not perfect. But it is not the lag and stutter fest as is portrayed in a number of these posts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We are talking about the degree at this point. It seems that the video that was posted shows stutter to a degree that not everyone experiences.
[doublepost=1453050782][/doublepost]

It's rather simple. No one said its only you that can have worse issues than some others, as there can be others with similar degrees of issues, but there are also others that don't have issues that are anywhere close to the degree in which they are showing up for you. A fairly simple rational concept that is actually proven over and over by many threads in forums like this one where often enough people will bring up issues they have while many others have never even heard of those issues let alone experienced them. Now questioning that rather basic and given reality would certainly bring up "are you for real?" type of question.

Last edited:

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Here is visual evidence of Apple's crap optimisation for old devices and how even a budget Windows Phone beats it in that department.

Here is the horrible scroll stutter on my iPhone 6

And here is my Lumia 730 running the very same website silky smooth 60 fps and it cost me $120 (less than a quarter of my iPhone's price) around a year ago and it's wrecking my iPhone in smoothness.My Lumia has already been through 2 Windows versions and it's on Windows 10 in the video

And If someone wants I can Make a similar video with a Galaxy S6 which demolishes both of the above devices in scroll smoothness

But planned obsolescence does not exist according to some here.Yeah...

iOS 9.3 has very bad scrolling on nearly all the devices. I reported this issue for Apple to fix it, I hope it would be better in the next beta

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Well now you're opening up a whole new can of worms. 3rd party apps bring you into muddy waters. Blame can rest on either of the two parties involved. I would blame the 3rd parties for not updating their apps to work well with iOS 9.

Also, Chrome is terrible on iOS. It's not even Chrome, it's just a slow Webkit skin named Chrome. Why anyone would use Chrome on iOS is beyond me, as it lags on every iOS device I've ever tested with it.

I just switched to Android, and I don't even use it there... it's slow as molasses on Google's own platform. It seems they can't get mobile right.

This message was sent on a Windows 10 desktop using my default browser, Chrome.
You seriously expect me to believe that Google,Microsoft,Facebook all don't know how to optimise for iOS 9?Thats BS.I just have 6S in front of me and it is NOT stuttering as badly on that device.Its scrolling like how my iPhone 6 used to scroll on 8.4.1 .This sounds to me more like Apple exercises planned obsolescence on older devices as even Safari has slight scroll stutter

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Than is it a coincidence that my iPad Air 2 is showing the same stutter?I bought the iPad on launch day so it surely can't be from the same batch

It's funny that all the devices having problems are running chrome on iOS. See any connection there? Post a video of you using Safari on the iPhone 6/iPad and let's see how much "lag" their really is.

Chrome on iOS is a POS.

FYI - I have an iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Pro and iPad Mini Retina 2 all running iOS 9.2 with no issues.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You seriously expect me to believe that Google,Microsoft,Facebook all don't know how to optimise for iOS 9?Thats BS.I just have 6S in front of me and it is NOT stuttering as badly on that device.Its scrolling like how my iPhone 6 used to scroll on 8.4.1 .This sounds to me more like Apple exercises planned obsolescence on older devices as even Safari has slight scroll stutter
Clearly the only plausible explanation is planned obsolescence. Fits nicely with https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
It's funny that all the devices having problems are running chrome on iOS. See any connection there? Post a video of you using Safari on the iPhone 6/iPad and let's see how much "lag" their really is.

Chrome on iOS is a POS.

FYI - I have an iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Pro and iPad Mini Retina 2 all running iOS 9.2 with no issues.
As I said earlier,Safari has much less scroll stutter but it's still not perfect as it used to be in 8.4.1 .
And for those who keep questioning why I use Chrome.Its the only browser which is cross platform on my Android,Mac,PC devices.If I use Safari I lose this feature of seamless cross platform sync .

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
As I said earlier,Safari has much less scroll stutter but it's still not perfect as it used to be in 8.4.1 .
And for those who keep questioning why I use Chrome.Its the only browser which is cross platform on my Android,Mac,PC devices.If I use Safari I lose this feature of seamless cross platform sync .

The problem with Chrome is it does not allow ad blockers. That slows down your browsing and takes a toll on the user experience. Surely there are other cross platform browsers that you can use that allow as blocking. Dolphin and Mercury come to mind.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
Are you sure Chrome is the issue? iOS 8 didn't have these problems.
the problem is when you bring chrome into the equation we can't guarantee that iOS is causing the problems.

Most of us aren't questitioning your choic of browsers. It's a free world.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Because an app would use APIs that are not available to developers and would control something that is systemwide and affects some things on the OS level. Again fairly established things when it comes to design of iOS since the beginning essentially.

As for working fine, just because it worked fine in the opinion of some doesn't mean it was up to the standards that Apple would have wanted. Perhaps it wouldn't have worked as well for many for them to complain and out Siri down because of it making the feature a failure in public perception?

The point is that there are all kinds of things that can be and often are in play. Sure implying that it's all a nefarious purposeful plan can fit the bill and seems "fun" to be an attractive idea to cling onto, but it really doesn't mean that it's the case just because of that, especially given how many other at the very least potential quite rational reasons can fit in just as well and usually better (even if people happen to not like or disagree with those reasons).

I agree in part... nefarious? No. Manipulative or just not wanting to invest? Yes.
I do not develop iOS apps. How hard would it be to have a 32-bit version?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I agree in part... nefarious? No. Manipulative or just not wanting to invest? Yes.
Extra work using technology that is getting outdated for Apple. It's like creating something new website with the latest technology and then spending time making sure it also works on Internet Explorer 6.0 that is outdated by today's standards (despite the fact that there are people using it still). Basically it's something that happens quite a bit as technology progresses and isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Reactions: nj1266

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The problem with Chrome is it does not allow ad blockers. That slows down your browsing and takes a toll on the user experience. Surely there are other cross platform browsers that you can use that allow as blocking. Dolphin and Mercury come to mind.
I use WeBlock as I use Chrome only on WiFi.It blocks ads throughout the OS.Mercury and Dolphin are not available on Windows and Mac

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Did an interesting test over the weekend.
Background: wife has a simless 64GB 5S that she uses on wifi running 8.4.1. Mostly photos, games like Smurfs and Hay Day plus email etc... My daughter's 5 is suffering from screen separation and we are giving her the 5S.
What I did: I took the wife's 5S and updated it to 9.2 by backing up, updating and restoring. I did not tell her I was updating, just backing up and restoring to get rid of the "Other" creep. :eek:
What happened: My wife got the phone back and I asked her to check it to make sure all was okay. She comes back in a few hours later and wanted to know "What did you do to my phone? It's a lot slower than before." Did not mention stutter, lag or anything else, just the speed. This was her initial impression after having owned the phone for over a year.

Was an interesting response. I was expecting a complaint on a game failing, something not being smooth, or an app not running properly. The device is unlocked and she does not use any passcode or touch id.
[doublepost=1453132048][/doublepost]
Extra work using technology that is getting outdated for Apple. It's like creating something new website with the latest technology and then spending time making sure it also works on Internet Explorer 6.0 that is outdated by today's standards (despite the fact that there are people using it still). Basically it's something that happens quite a bit as technology progresses and isn't anything out of the ordinary.

However there are a lot of 32-bit iDevices out there. ;)

Reactions: asv56kx3088

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

If they coded it using Swift, they'd have to code and maintain a second version.
[doublepost=1453132300][/doublepost]
Background: wife has a simless 64GB 5S that she uses on wifi running 8.4.1. Mostly photos, games like Smurfs and Hay Day plus email etc... My daughter's 5 is suffering from screen separation and we are giving her the 5S.
What I did: I took the wife's 5S and updated it to 9.2 by backing up, updating and restoring. I did not tell her I was updating, just backing up and restoring to get rid of the "Other" creep. :eek:
What happened: My wife got the phone back and I asked her to check it to make sure all was okay. She comes back in a few hours later and wanted to know "What did you do to my phone? It's a lot slower than before." Did not mention stutter, lag or anything else, just the speed. This was her initial impression after having owned the phone for over a year.

Was an interesting response. I was expecting a complaint on a game failing, something not being smooth, or an app not running properly. The device is unlocked and she does not use any passcode or touch id.

Apple has made it clear they're doing the bare minimum to support 32 bit from here on out.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

There are quite a few, but less and less given that Apple has been releasing mostly 64-bit devices for a while and hasn't been selling 32-bit iPhones or iPads for some time.

There are a lot of computers running Internet Explorer 6 and various Windows versions that aren't even supported by Microsoft, but that doesn't mean that most people will continue target those in any way give that it would mean doing things without the use of the latest technology.

Perhaps Apple is pushing ahead faster than some others, but that doesn't mean they are doing it because of some sort of conspiratorial or bad reasons.

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
If they coded it using Swift, they'd have to code and maintain a second version.
[doublepost=1453132300][/doublepost]

Apple has made it clear they're doing the bare minimum to support 32 bit from here on out.

i maybe mistaken but isn't the Apple Watch 32 bit ?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

I am not surprised.It would take a really bad eyesight to NOT notice the huge stutter iOS 9 has compared to 8.4.1. 9.3 does bridge the gap somewhat but it will be time to buy the S7/7 by the time iOS 9 finally (if) reaches 8.4.1 levels of performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.