Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattBrownSA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Please Apple. We know you don't want to make a laptop with a touch screen. We know you don't want to make an iPad that has a desktop OS. But if you make this thing we will all buy one and your fears of combining products and loosing money will be outweighed by $ and our renewed love for your brand. Please apple, don't be dicks - give your customers what they want.

Attachments

• PleaseApple.jpg
    PleaseApple.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

MattBrownSA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
i dont want a touch screen laptop or ipad running osx. some do, some dont. please dont auto assume i do, you speak for yourself and like minded individuals, not for me and other like minded peeps.

dont assume you speak for the majority please.

Yes, that's true. Obviously. Its meant to be amusing.

Reactions: Jessemtz25

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
That picture you attached shows iPad + computer stick + more storage + additional screen.

What do you even need the iPad for in that set up? You're not using the iPad for its OS, processing power, or screen when you hook everything up.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
That picture you attached shows iPad + computer stick + more storage + additional screen.

What do you even need the iPad for in that set up? You're not using the iPad for its OS, processing power, or screen when you hook everything up.
i believe this is literally what the Nintendo Switch is trying to achieve.

(OP - i do like the idea of a 1 TB sd card though ;) )

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I would love this, especially if you can still launch IOS feature either through launchpad, or a reboot into IOS like you do with boot camp. Include USB-C support where the charger is for easy HDMI output (like how we have to by an adapter to use HDMI), and plug in a drive, and you're all set. And with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, it can still be easily wireless and lightweight for times when you don't plug in a USB-C adapter. The best of both, IOS and OS X, on one device.

Reactions: MattBrownSA

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
i believe this is literally what the Nintendo Switch is trying to achieve.

(OP - i do like the idea of a 1 TB sd card though ;) )
The Switch uses the tablet part for all the processing, though. Even the same OS. I would love an option like that for iOS, though. Get home, dock your iPhone, and have everything displayed on a bigger screen with mouse support. It would be even better to have a separate UI for that, just like Microsoft is doing.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
The Switch uses the tablet part for all the processing, though. Even the same OS. I would love an option like that for iOS, though. Get home, dock your iPhone, and have everything displayed on a bigger screen with mouse support. It would be even better to have a separate UI for that, just like Microsoft is doing.
that's what the joke post is describing. nintendo took it seriously and will make it a reality.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The germaphobe in me agrees. I don't want Mac OS to be touchscreen and I don't always want to smudge the screen when I type something or browse the web. Convergence has its limitations. Better to keep Macs non-touchscreen and keep iOS touchscreen. They were both built originally that way to be different. Marrying both will have its issues. Sometimes after washing my hands and cleaning my smartphones, I really dislike getting my phone displays and my hands dirty seconds after I start using them again.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
that's what the joke post is describing. nintendo took it seriously and will make it a reality.
I like that idea, though, but I wouldn't use a tablet for the core. A phone that can dock into a larger screen is a great idea, IMO, but everything needs to be handled on the main device. A small device that displays a new UI on a larger screen would be fantastic, but if you start needing other parts to make that a reality, it's no longer a good product.

MattBrownSA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
I like that idea, though, but I wouldn't use a tablet for the core. A phone that can dock into a larger screen is a great idea, IMO, but everything needs to be handled on the main device. A small device that displays a new UI on a larger screen would be fantastic, but if you start needing other parts to make that a reality, it's no longer a good product.
I agree: one device. The original DuoDock was so cool because you had all your files at work, at home and on the road before the cloud was invented. Currently I lug around a macbook, ipad and iphone. For me its frustrating that iPads can't make calls and have tiny storage space when both those options are super easy for Apple to roll out - but they are worried about their "streams" of income merging. I only carry a mackbook, because the iPad is no good for spreadsheets and video editing. Come to think about it maybe I should throw the iPad away.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Isn't the future about not having to worry what device you are on, no matter where you are, you have access to all of your stuff? As in, the opposite of "one device for everything". I thought that was where every tech company is trying to go with the cloud. Personally I think the future will have more devices, not less, as tech become cheaper and cheaper. I like have more devices, I just don't like paying for them :D

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I would not like OSX on iPads at all. I really enjoy iOS as it is, but it would be cool if Apple added a "Pro" version of iOS for the iPads. Something that is very similar to what they have now, but add specific features that would make iPad able to function even more as a laptop replacement. I currently use mine as a computer replacement, but it is limited on a few things. For starters... I'd love the ability to transfer files seamlessly between my iPad and Desktop PC using a flash drive or USB cord.

Kal.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
For those not wanting a touch screen for MacOS, we do have a Surface (1.... it's a typical version 1 device) that does have a touch screen, and here's the thing: You can use a mouse with it, so it's a win-win. Don't want to use a mouse? Use the touch screen. Want to use a mouse? Use a mouse. I think it's the capability to use these devices with an iPad, not the mandatory requirement to do so.

As for macOS on an iPad, that's a tricky one. macOS already has a touch interface, the trackpad, so to integrate that into the screen shouldn't be totally out of this world. I bet that :apple: already has computers/iPads in house doing this, but the user experience may be hard to sell to the higher ups. However, that new program that lets you use the iPad as a screen/pencil input, if it takes hold, may convince them, if enough people buy it. That would be a crude version of macOS on an iPad.

The iPad Pro has two connectors now, and the smart connector has a lot of potential, especially for attached peripherals, but then again, the three pin connection only allows for serial communication, and it would have to be multiplexed should a smarter keyboard, with ports and such be invented (keyboard with USB, video, storage). I think that the storage/USB/video would be the bottleneck, but Thunderbolt seems to pull it off, but with more pins/channels.

And yes, punch card readers do exist for the Mac. Making it work for the iPad needs to be done too...

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Isn't the future about not having to worry what device you are on, no matter where you are, you have access to all of your stuff? As in, the opposite of "one device for everything". I thought that was where every tech company is trying to go with the cloud. Personally I think the future will have more devices, not less, as tech become cheaper and cheaper. I like have more devices, I just don't like paying for them :D
what, you don't want and i7 phone with graphics card? i dont get the phone-centric universe, either

MattBrownSA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Sounds like you just want a Surface. So why don't you just get one?
So, no, I don't want a surface. I want a small, portable computer in the iPad form that I can plug into a larger screen at the office. The Duo Dock from 1995 is a cool example.

RangerOne

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
California
What the iPad needs is mouse support.

I agree, and they should also offer MULTIPLE USER support. It just kills me that my $1,200 iPad Pro 12.9 (with tax) can't be used by family members without sharing my passcode and trusting them to not delete apps/documents, rummage through work emails, messing with GameCenter scores, etc.

iOS supports multiple users for the education market -- it's already baked into the OS -- but Apple refuses to enable it for public use because they want every family member to buy their own iPad. This one policy really paints Apple with a "Greedy Corporation" brush, and irritated me so much that I purchased an Android-based tablet (which supports multiple users) for the rest of the family to use. Not cool, Apple.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I agree, and they should also offer MULTIPLE USER support. It just kills me that my $1,200 iPad Pro 12.9 (with tax) can't be used by family members without sharing my passcode and trusting them to not delete apps/documents, rummage through work emails, messing with GameCenter scores, etc.

iOS supports multiple users for the education market -- it's already baked into the OS -- but Apple refuses to enable it for public use because they want every family member to buy their own iPad. This one policy really paints Apple with a "Greedy Corporation" brush, and irritated me so much that I purchased an Android-based tablet (which supports multiple users) for the rest of the family to use. Not cool, Apple.

Multi-user support would be relatively easy to bring to the iPad, but as you point out...it needs some convincing (on Apple's part) before it becomes a reality.

Hope can only hope...

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
It just kills me that my $1,200 iPad Pro 12.9 (with tax) can't be used by family members without sharing my passcode and trusting them to not delete apps/documents, rummage through work emails, messing with GameCenter scores, etc.

Settings > Accessibility > Guided Access

iOS supports multiple users for the education market -- it's already baked into the OS

I don't think that's true. Do you have a link or documentation?
On the Canvas podcast, Fraser Speirs (a teacher running a school wide iPad program in England) specifically said they use Guided Access.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Settings > Accessibility > Guided Access

I don't think that's true. Do you have a link or documentation?
On the Canvas podcast, Fraser Speirs (a teacher running a school wide iPad program in England) specifically said they use Guided Access.

Do you actually believe what you post?

Guided Access won't help one bit in RangerOne's use case.

You should read up on what Guided Access actually offers. / snort/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.