Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
The Switch uses the tablet part for all the processing, though. Even the same OS. I would love an option like that for iOS, though. Get home, dock your iPhone, and have everything displayed on a bigger screen with mouse support. It would be even better to have a separate UI for that, just like Microsoft is doing.

your post reminds me of the tech shown in Black Mirror (3 seasons on netflix). On a few episodes they dock their phones to their car gauge cluster area, home docking that integrated into the house and much more. This would be awesome if they actually came up with a way to integrate our smartphones into our home by simply docking it somewhere in the house and getting your notifications through your tv, computer, iPad, home automated thingy or whatever. Man if only we were born like 50 years later imagine what we would see. When I was a teen we had pagers and brick size cell phones. I still remember pagers getting taken away in my junior/senior year for going off during class. This is when pagers were the latest and greatest back before they received text and even before people figured out how to spell 80081355 and other dumb numbers that spelled stuff haha.

As far as the ipp they do need to make a docking station that will allow us to connect to a larger monitor and use the apps with a mouse. This would completely take away my need for a mac as far as school, entertainment and daily activities. Only thing this wouldn't fix for me is I would still need a desktop for gaming.

Reactions: Channan

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Do you actually believe what you post?

Guided Access won't help one bit in RangerOne's use case.

You should read up on what Guided Access actually offers. / snort/

You can snort all you want, I used guided access all the time with both of my children. You shouldn't presume to speak for others, I'm sure he's capable of saying whether that fits his needs or not. At least I'm offering a possible solution, you're just taking pot shots at people.

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm with the OP. I actually bought the Surface Pro 4 because Apple doesn't have an iPad with OSX. While the Surface is great I still prefer an iPad with OSX so I can stick with the Apple ecosystem.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
You can snort all you want, I used guided access all the time with both of my children. You shouldn't presume to speak for others, I'm sure he's capable of saying whether that fits his needs or not. At least I'm offering a possible solution, you're just taking pot shots at people.

You're a laff. You start out trying to be a wit and then accuse me to taking a pot-shot.

Can you be any more melodramatic?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So, no, I don't want a surface. I want a small, portable computer in the iPad form that I can plug into a larger screen at the office. The Duo Dock from 1995 is a cool example.

Apart from not running iOS, I think Surface does everything you just listed. It's a small, portable computer in tablet form, to which you can plug in an larger external monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.