Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Easily my least favorite app from Apple. Terribly slow, unresponsive, and downright odd design.

I still can't believe this app was made by Apple.

Totally agree. The app design is very clunky and finding what you need is cumbersome. It almost seems like some Apple TV podcast app was made and dropped into the APP store for the iPhone.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Nearly two-thirds of reviews for the Podcasts app on the App Store gave it a one - or two-star review, with the app having a two-and-a-half-star review overall -- one of the lowest of all Apple's apps.

Surely no one gave it more than 2 stars, it was awful.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Yeah.... I tried it for a while, just too slow and unstable. I had been using Casts Lite until then.

Based on a number of reviews I spent the 2 bucks on Downcast and couldn't be happier.

Without a doubt, the Apple podcast app has been the best thing for Downcast ever. I'm curious to know the % increase for app sells over the past month or two for Downcast.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I really wanted this to be an app I'd love.

1. Getting annoyed by all the extra taps Apple's apps have been requiring lately to do basic stuff that should only require one or two taps. These UI's are getting needlessly busy, inefficient, and inelegant. of which this app is a great example.

2. I tried Stitcher. Get it together, Apple.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
It's annoying when someone tries to design something halfway interesting, only to have people **** all over it, because it's not designed to YOUR specifications. Get over yourself.

My primary specifications include:
1) Not locking up
2) Not restarting randomly

Regardless of how interesting the Podcast app may be I don't think those are lofty goals, and not being able to attain them is a perfectly good reason to **** all over it.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
More quality issues from Apple. This would not have happened on Steve's watch. Let's hope its not a terminal decline.

----------

I vote down all posts containing the word "whilst."

Whilst you were away, I arranged to have the "Vote Down" button removed from your computer. Sorry.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Easily my least favorite app from Apple. Terribly slow, unresponsive, and downright odd design.

I still can't believe this app was made by Apple.

My thoughts exactly. Terrible to use and nearly unresponsive. I found myself tap-tap-tap-tapping all over the UI to get it to react.

I canned it and went back to the music app.

Originally Posted by GenesisJLS
Props to Apple for knowing they released buggy software and resolving the issues quickly.
Just had to come in here and say something nice, eh? :D

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
It badly needs it.
When it came out I was quite excited because it's feature set was perfect for me and I was anxious to cut the cord with iTunes.

But there were too many bugs. The biggest one for me is that it refused to automatically download anything.
There were many other annoyances (e.g., long hangs when switching to it, randomly marking old postcasts as unplayed.)

It was a horrible release.

I'm glad they are fixing it, but I already moved on to Downcast (a pretty good app at $1.99)

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
My primary specifications include:
1) Not locking up
2) Not restarting randomly

Regardless of how interesting the Podcast app may be I don't think those are lofty goals, and not being able to attain them is a perfectly good reason to **** all over it.

I thought I made it clear I was talking about the criticism of the reel-to-reel design. I edited it like 10 seconds after the original post- there couldn't have been enough time for you to only see my original post that made that a bit ambiguous.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It's annoying when someone tries to design something halfway interesting, only to have people **** all over it, because it's not designed to YOUR specifications. Get over yourself.

It's annoying when workable software that followed the HIG and UI guidelines for the iPhone is replaced with skeuomorphic **** with an opaque UI.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
sources say the company expects to post an update to it this afternoon
Well.... We're Waiting.....!!!!
Judge_Smails.jpg

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
It's annoying when workable software that followed the HIG and UI guidelines for the iPhone is replaced with skeuomorphic **** with an opaque UI.

It's THAT word again! :eek:

Yes, I know what it means. I've just seen an influx in the usage of this word lately.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I don't watch/listen to many podcasts, but I downloaded the app to see what everybody is talking about. It ran for a minute before freezing up and crashing. I'm probably not going to open it ever again.

I know, now I'm lost.

It really was stupid to remove the down vote though. We can only like posts, but not dislike them? Like kindergarten.

And worse yet: it's reminiscent of FaceBook. Ugh.

Last edited:

MacFan1957

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Okay, I am seriously BAFFLED as to why anyone would use this app. There are SO MANY GREAT podcast apps in the store. iCatcher is my personal favorite, but Podcaster and many others offer so much customization, no download limits, and a bunch of fine-tuning controls that aren't available in Apple's app.

Why do people waste their time with this thing?

Christ it must be wired being you. Forever wondering how anyone, ANYONE at all could share a opinion other than yours!

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I thought I made it clear I was talking about the criticism of the reel-to-reel design. I edited it like 10 seconds after the original post- there couldn't have been enough time for you to only see my original post that made that a bit ambiguous.

It must have been just enough time for me to hit the quote button. :eek:

Sorry I missed the ninja-edit. When I read the first part the reel-to-reel bit didn't come through.

Last edited:

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Things they need to sort out for me:

• Freezing / Crashing... and I mean ALL the time...
  • Syncing played / unplayed episodes back to iTunes / Music app properly
  • Random episodes of podcasts suddenly getting flagged as Unplayed and downloading themselves on my iPhone

I gave up and went back to the Music app because the Podcast app just caused too many headaches...

nyctravis

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Aside from the UI, which I could give or take, the functionality of this app is one of the worst I've seen and still am shocked it came from Apple. Embarrassing.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Don't mind the concept of the app or the look and feel but the execution is just terrible. Slow, unresponsive and riddled with bugs (that kind that freeze my iPhone for a little over a minute and then crash back to home screen...can't even home button out of it....). Setting a podcast up for autodownload has never worked right. I have reinstalled iOS on my iPhone 4 and still have problems with this terrible POS app.

Hopefully this update will make the app what it should have been from the start. I'm starting to wonder if Apple is dropping the ball in the QA department.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
can someone explain to me how this app relates to the old “sync podcasts manually from iTunes” feature?

I mean, when you enable iTunes Match you can no longer sync music from iTunes on Mac because it goes over the air. But this does not hold for the new Podcast app. What happens when you still sync podcasts manually with iTunes? Do you get podcast episodes twice? where do they appear? Why do video podcasts still appear in the videos app?

For me this is all quite messy at the moment.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I guess it’s popular to pile on Apple when they make a mistake.

I know I like to do it! This app has been awful. Bad UI, which doesn’t even work sometimes. Bad features badly organized. Crashes. It’s worse than playing podcasts directly in the iTunes Store, and that’s saying something!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.