Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
:mad: Charges not filed? Reminds me of a friend of mine and her adoptive mother. Some people shouldn't just not be allowed to breed, but just shouldn't be allowed at all.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Hmm.. why is the word 'caged' highlighted in bold red?

Anyway, let's be thankful for pioneering parents who are able to forge ahead with new ideas on how to reign in troublesome kids. Not sure how this is any different than other disciplinary practices such as locking them in their bedrooms, making them face a corner wall or caned 20 times for bad behaviour.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Hey! Not all Catholics have 20 kids ok?

Infact, no Catholics I know have more than 7 kids. BIG difference. I should know, I was raised Catholic. :mad:

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
As it was stated earlier, there are, in fact, not enough familes out there either able or willing to adopt. However, at least this is the case here in Utah but this could be true elsewhere, I think only married hetero couples will ever be considered to adopt. Single parents or (god forbid) gay couples, however willing and able, are generally shunned. I am relatively sure this is the case but I may be wrong here, though. I'll have to do some research on this.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
Yep, I was essentually right. According to The Utah Code:

78-30-1. Who may adopt -- Adoption of minor -- Adoption of adult.
(1) Any minor child may be adopted by an adult person, in accordance with the provisions and requirements of this section and this chapter.
(2) Any adult may be adopted by another adult. However, all provisions of this chapter apply to the adoption of an adult just as though the person being adopted were a minor, except that consent of the parents of an adult person being adopted is not required.
(3) (a) A child may be adopted by:
(i) adults who are legally married to each other in accordance with the laws of this state, including adoption by a stepparent; or
(ii) any single adult, except as provided in Subsection (3)(b).
(b) A child may not be adopted by a person who is cohabiting in a relationship that is not a legally valid and binding marriage under the laws of this state. For purposes of this Subsection (3)(b), "cohabiting" means residing with another person and being involved in a sexual relationship with that person.

No wonder children aren't finding quality homes. They've narrowed the field so much.
http://adoption.about.com/od/adoptionlawsbystate/

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
brepublican said:
Hey! Not all Catholics have 20 kids ok?

Infact, no Catholics I know have more than 7 kids. BIG difference. I should know, I was raised Catholic. :mad:

And neither do all Mormons. With the exception of a friend who was one of 6 kids, all of my LDS friends were raised in families with no more than 4 children.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
I hear ya Blackadder...these people are unprofessional.

Huron county, eh? I half expected this to be in Athens or Hocking county.

In all seriousness, this is really weird and very wrong.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
OMG it's life imitating art imitating life.

When I first read this the first thing I thought about is the (excellent and creepy) Wes Craven movie The People Under the Stairs. Then when I read the synopsis in IMDB, it turns out Wes Craven was inspired by a real-life story.

This is awful. These people were just trying to collect stipends for keeping foster children. At least they seemed to be well fed. Let's not forget the awful case of those boys that were found starved a few years ago:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/11/60II/main583028.shtml

Man, this is just twisted. Maybe we should go back to putting kids in orphanages. Or if we really believe in the foster care system, there needs to be much better oversight.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
powermac666 said:
Apparently, all the kids were found to be in good health. I guess it's okay to lock your kids up in tiny cages at night, as long as you feed and bathe them. :mad:

At least the kids are out of the house...for now.

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

:confused: ...and I always wondered why some kids are weirded! :mad:

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Abstract said:
Isn't being caged part of the abuse? Psychologically, this can't be a good thing.
It would certainly qualify in my book as abuse. I can't believe that they haven't filed any charges on this yet. That is absolutely ridiculous.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
leftbanke7 said:
And neither do all Mormons. With the exception of a friend who was one of 6 kids, all of my LDS friends were raised in families with no more than 4 children.
I'm Mormon and there were 5 children in my family. Most are in that 4-5 range I think, but there are always the exceptions. Just moved to a new area and there is a family that had 14 kids (most are grown and moved out now).

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Just last month I sunk my life's savings into a start-up that manufactures children's sleeping cages. Honestly, it didn't seem like such a bad idea at the time. After reading this thread, I'm starting to think all of this publicity won't be good for business. :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Apparently, the kids are well-adjusted and normal. Caged children works!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Flowbee said:
Just last month I sunk my life's savings into a start-up that manufactures children's sleeping cages. Honestly, it didn't seem like such a bad idea at the time. After reading this thread, I'm starting to think all of this publicity won't be good for business. :(
All publicity is good publicity. Hang on in there.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
Police find 8 Ohio kids locked in cages

LOL :D
That is actually very messed up, but also kinda funny.
Talk about over protective parents, reminds me of theat creature from Lord of the Rings "MY PRECIOUS"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.