Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
I could see something like this selling really well for teenagers and older customers. And, of course, other countries where 2 year contracts don't/can't exist.

iPhone 5S - $199 ($599 off contract)
iPhone 5 - $99 ($499 off contract)
iPhone - $0 ($299 off contract)

haha, just like that you took off $50 retail price from msrp of $649. apple never going to lower their price.

the found a sweet spot of $649 ($199 contract) - they will keep it until the iPhone sales slow down.

$299 - dream on - at least it will be $399 ($450 - iPhone 4 - it will be even huge they take off $50).

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
i think most of these look ugly and cheap.

best idea of a plastic iPhone for consumers wouldve been this concept based on the original bondi blue imac, in varied colors;

Budget-iPhone-2.jpg

much more apple like.

That. Looks. Awesome. :D

Can you mockup a few like that in the other iMac colors? My personal favorites were Tangerine, Ruby, Lime, Sage, Graphite, and Snow.

IMac_G3_flavors.jpg

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I could see the design looking something like this, but no way in hell could I see them using these exact colors. I picture something much more in line with the current iPod touch colors/textures. These colors resemble the iPod touch colors, but they seem lighter/more neon'ish. Maybe these are the cases before they receive some sort of coating/finish to flatten out the color?

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
I don't know...
The red and yellow ones as pictured have a weird (ugly) tint, like if they bleached in the sun or something. I prefer the saturated colors which are now being used by Nokia.

The blue and green ones (however we can only see a bit of it) look great.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
i think most of these look ugly and cheap.

best idea of a plastic iPhone for consumers wouldve been this concept based on the original bondi blue imac, in varied colors;

much more apple like.

and some people are confused to think that them looking cheap is acceptable because its a 'cheap' iphone.

we all know that its not going to be cheap. its not going to be a cheap iPhone, its just going to cost less. proof of this is Apple's iPad Mini. and this is actually good news. we dont want Apple to become sony. spreading itself too thin by selling products on a wide range of price and quality.

Apple should stay true - stick to selling premium products and experiences. the philosophy of a product in their ranges should be the category of the product and the use its designed for or market.

it should NEVER be designed for a 'cheaper price' or building a product around price.

examples that shine most in apples current products are macs and ipods. and recently, iPads.

iPad mini's philosophy is greater portability - an everything anywhere device beyond the small size experience of pocket based devices like phones or iPods.

Macs. we know the story of macs, pro and consumer. portability/power/ultra portable.

iPods: Storage / collection; classics. iOS: Touch's. Shuffle: Gym/Exercise/Work . etc..

apple Should bring the philosophy of different categories to iPhones, but it should not be about price. only product. some people might not be concerned with the latest and greatest technologies in an iPhone, they might simply just want the apple OS experience (iOS).

1 area of category is phone/screen size, like macs. some people want bigger and smaller phones.

Great mockup! That would look sick in Graphite.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well these would certainly explain those color choices of iOS7.

who needs Weed and Flowerpower? just have a look at Apple 'Fall 2013 :D
Austin Powers would love these

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I'd like to see a really nice looking red one. The one depicted here is a bit too bright. Plus I don't think I'd want a red plastic one.

Regardless, it's nice to see the possibility of a variety of colors becoming available.

Agreed- although I wouldn't necessarily say it's too bright, but definitely the wrong shade. I wish Apple would offer bold(er) colors. Like a candy apple red, or a Product Red red. Not Fisher Price red. Same goes for that Post-it Note yellow I'm seeing.

I'm totally stoked that a plastic version might be coming out. The reception on my 3GS was awesome- and I'm not one of those types who fauns over the look and feel of metal. I've been holding off on upgrading my 4. Yes, I've not yet enjoyed such things as Siri :cool:

Fairthrope

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
these are for 3rd world countries to take on Nokia and Motorola right?

why would americans buy these? Just get an iphone 4s or 5 or 5s and throw a sleek colored case on it if you want color..

Would it be OK if Apple launch this in Shanghai rather than San Francisco?

Leave it in no doubt what iPhone Mini is for.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Don't believe it

I can't believe that the casings would be those colors. They're painful to look at and look intentionally cheap. The current line up of ipods use similar colors, but they're on brushed aluminum so it doesn't look like washed out hippy colors. On plastic, these colors look terrible. Especially the yellow and red. I can't imagine someone wanting those.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Not really a fan of the rather florescent looking orange red and yellow ones, but the white one looks pretty damn nice.

I wonder if this also means the headphones will start shipping in different colors to match the phone :p

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
That. Looks. Awesome. :D

Can you mockup a few like that in the other iMac colors? My personal favorites were Tangerine, Ruby, Lime, Sage, Graphite, and Snow.

All those colours look better than the ones in the leaks. But the blue leaked shell would look good with a black faceplate.

I don't think the white faceplate looks good with these shades, apart from white obviously, they would look much better with faceplates in the same colour, like the white one.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I can't believe that the casings would be those colors. They're painful to look at and look intentionally cheap. The current line up of ipods use similar colors, but they're on brushed aluminum so it doesn't look like washed out hippy colors. On plastic, these colors look terrible. Especially the yellow and red. I can't imagine someone wanting those.

I tend to agree. The only thing I can think of is that the photo isn't doing them justice (i.e poor lighting) and/or these are color trials gone wrong.

Still love the look of the white one tho :)

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
WHY?!?! Just buy an iPhone 4 and no one has to deal with bad quality materials! SOOOO DUMB

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
WHY?!?! Just buy an iPhone 4 and no one has to deal with bad quality materials! SOOOO DUMB

well, theres some potential reasons:

using old parts might be more fragmented? (i wouldnt know but just a thought)

but the main problem i have with buying older iphones, is the latest OS's features get more and more neglected on the older models.

maybe on this alternate iPhone range it may be better investment in return for OS compatibility longevity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.