Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
iPad pro with stylus … the end is near, repent

Is Apple really copying Samsung with that stylus? What is Jony going to say about the Stylus? This is just so surreal.

We Apple users hate styluses

I wasn't aware Samsung invented the stylus.

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
Why can't the Surface Pro and an iPad Pro coexist in the world? I love my iPad, but it sucks total ass capturing technical diagrams and notes in a business setting. OneNote on the Surface with a stylus is fantastic, and Apple will win a lot of hearts being able to emulate or improve on that. Plus, when I'm not taking notes, I prefer the glyph UI over the Windows hodgepodge of Metro and traditional Windows apps.

They can coexist, but if I'm spending that much money on one devise (buying both is nuts), and if I'm looking for a 12'' "tablet" with a stylus, I would probably pick the Surface Pro (but only if it's running Windows 10). Have you seen Windows 10? It's not the old hodgepodge of Metro and traditional Windows anymore.

If you buy such a big tablet, portability is not your priority -- power is probably more important to those users. I don't think iOS is powerful enough. Would you buy a MacBook Air if it was running on iOS?

I don't think think anything from Microsoft will replace my iPad Mini though (or my iPhone).

Last edited:

larry t

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014

Is Apple really copying Samsung with that stylus? What is Jony going to say about the Stylus? This is just so surreal.

NO BRO... The stylus would be for artist, and designers. That's why the name is Pro. There will probable be a huge push for Pro apps, especially for artists and designers. IOS already has some of the best artists and designer apps out there.

In all honestly, the stylus has been a kind of a frekin waist on the Galaxy tabs, because there are hardly if any developers developing artist apps to take advantage of there stylus.

larry t

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
I hate to be the negative nancy here, but Im trying to see the point in this big iPad Pro. While my iPad Air 2 is definitely the pinnacle of powerful mobile tech and very powerful, I find the experience lacking.

I feel like the biggest issue with the iPad right now is iOS itself. Its just too weak compared to OS X. I'm at the point now where I don't see updating my iPad for a long time, and I'm more and more anxious for a Retina equipped Macbook Air. Apple needs to start taking a serious look at forking iOS into 2 serious versions. iOS for iPhone and iOS Pro for iPads that is far more advanced and open like OS X is. Or, give me a new special OS X for iPad.

What makes it weak to you? I use it more than OSX on a daily basis. And its biggest feature is the huge amount of developer devotion this thing gets. There is an app out there for everything, its insane. And the Apps are just getting more and more powerful, and helping me get more and more work done.

I don't want some Hybrid Frankenstein OS. I just want apps to get more and more powerful. And so far its been great.

Oh yeah. Ill give you an example. I've been using an IOS 8 keyboard called NINTYPE (look it up). This keyboard is so Damn fast, i'm typing faster than I've ever even dreamed of typing on a keyboard. So now I use it to write everything, and its crazy.

continuity

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
Myob
I am deeply interested in the iPad Pro, but my main concern is that as a first gen iteration of a product category (I mean, true pro tablets aren't just like regular tablets), functionality might be gimped and won't fulfill its true potential until the next version of the iPad Pro.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I really want larger iPad, but couldn't wait any longer and a week ago replaced my iPad 4 with 128GB LTE iPad Air 2 (love it, amazing improvement!).

I'm still interested in the Pro though. IF it will have a quality pressure sensitive stylus, I'm in trouble. :D

larry t

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2014
I tried the Surface Pro 3, and I disapprove. REASON: Its awkward.

The thing is...if I'm craving a stylus and a big screen, I would just get a Surface Pro when Windows 10 is released. I really don't get the iPad Pro.:confused:

The Surface Pro hardly has any Metro apps. The Windows App store is like a waist land. Even with the desktop version of Win 10, its still not really touch friendly. Also its going to take allot of new developers to make Win 10 apps touch friendly, and Windows 8+ is sourly lacking in that department.

I've used the Surface Pro for a long period, and it just came out to be an awkward laptop, with the super light keyboard, and heaver screen (through's off balance). Also the kickstand + keyboard with trackpad, takes up way to much space, especially on your lap.

This is why I would always take ether an iPad, or a super thin laptop over a Surface Pro any day. The tablet functionality of the Surface Pro is just horrible, and laptop use is awkward.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Industry is already moving away from limitations of ARM to Intel tablets running full OS and software. This better run Mac OS X, have pen input and detachable keyboard/touchpad.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
They can coexist, but if I'm spending that much money on one devise (buying both is nuts), and if I'm looking for a 12'' "tablet" with a stylus, I would probably pick the Surface Pro (but only if it's running Windows 10). Have you seen Windows 10? It's not the old hodgepodge of Metro and traditional Windows anymore.

If you buy such a big tablet, portability is not your priority -- power is probably more important to those users. I don't think iOS is powerful enough. Would you buy a MacBook Air if it was running on iOS?

I don't think think anything from Microsoft will replace my iPad Mini though (or my iPhone).

I agree, having too many devices is costly, heavy, and annoying. I haven't had a chance to use Windows 10 yet, but the Windows user experience up through 8.1 doesn't leave me optimistic that they understand how to design for consistency and ease-of-use. Hopefully Windows 10 will start making headway, but I'm pretty happy with the OS X experience so Windows isn't my priority. Having an ecosystem of devices that play nice is a priority (which is why I'd like them to improve the iOS stuff, rather than buying a Surface).

Power isn't my priority in a tablet. Screen real estate is a factor when drawing and taking notes, but I'd like portability. I have my MacBook Pro for the power, and a tablet to take to meetings. I pretty much abandoned using my iPad for notes, and I'm using paper and pencil and scanning stuff into Evernote. It feels so archaic and wrong, but I'm not going to lug a Surface around too.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

A stylus will suddenly be quite useful and people will wonder how they ever survived without one. Soon claims will be made that Apple invented the stylus and that Samsung copied them even though they had one before Apple. :D

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

There have been selling styluses for iPad for a few years. They're not has good as the one for the Galaxy Note Pro, sure, but styluses for iOS devices are nothing new.
I think most Apple users only hate touchscreen based devices that require a stylus to work.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
I wonder if it's a 12.2" or 12.9". That's not big but still a significant difference. Then there's the matter of weight. I personally hope for even lighter iPads in the future although a large iPad will demand a bigger battery to accommodate that screen.

Recent rumors have suggested that it could be the first Apple tablet to ship with an included stylus due to its size.

I know it's not the same writer but Macrumors writers should really read their own articles before linking to it.

Kuo believes the stylus will be an optional accessory rather than included standard with the new iPad, as the relatively expensive stylus would drive the base cost of the iPad too high.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

surface hub!!

----------

There have been selling styluses for iPad for a few years. They're not has good as the one for the Galaxy Note Pro, sure, but styluses for iOS devices are nothing new.

I think most Apple users only hate touchscreen based devices that require a stylus to work.

wow--3rd major ipad pro thread of the year and we are still beating the steve vs stylus horse. puh-lease.

Any surface pro 3 user will tell you how important the kickstand is--esp for pen work. I really think the ipad pro needs this

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The thing is...if I'm craving a stylus and a big screen, I would just get a Surface Pro when Windows 10 is released. I really don't get the iPad Pro.:confused:

well--you dont share the irrational hate/fear of windows. An ipad pro could be a great product, but i will stay in the surface camp.

Incidentally--surface generated a billion in revenues last quarter--thats about
12% of ipad sales.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
This will only be usefull, if Apple figures out something like Microsoft did with its new Windows 10 "Cross-platform" thingy and making MacOS work on it. If it's just another tablet with classic iOS then i really dont see a point in this device.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
This will only be usefull, if Apple figures out something like Microsoft did with its new Windows 10 "Cross-platform" thingy and making MacOS work on it. If it's just another tablet with classic iOS then i really dont see a point in this device.

I'm hoping iOS 9 will either focus on iPad (the same way iOS 7 focused on iPhone) so people don't feel they need OS X on iPad. So when you choose between a MacBook Air and an iPad, for example, your only choice is form factor, not capability.

More APIs for pro apps, examples of pro apps from Apple, Adobe, Autodesk, etc. Split screen multi-tasking (up to 4 apps at once).

Just something that's polished, tested, and if to really be useful it requires a larger screened/faster "iPad Pro" with more RAM, then that's great, too.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

There are different advantages of each, naturally.

Apple would have the edge on tablet-optimised apps (that a benefit from a stylus, don't require one), no viruses, iLife, iWork, etc.

Kind of like Mac vs PC from years ago :D

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That's an odd statement. Especially since there is no such thing as an iPad Pro at this point, only an Everest-sized mountain of rumor and speculation.

For those of us invested in the iOS ecosystem (and OSX), it isn't so easy to simply switch to a different platform. There is software for iOS (and OSX) that doesn't have a Windows version. That requires purchasing and learning new software.

There is also world of difference in user experience between an iOS tablet and a Windows tablet.

Both Android and Windows platforms have tablets with active digitizers, iOS doesn't. You "really don't get the iPad Pro", whereas I really don't get why people are against providing options.

well--you dont share the irrational hate/fear of windows. An ipad pro could be a great product, but i will stay in the surface camp.
So the only reason to not want a Surface is an irrational hate or fear of Windows? :rolleyes:

Incidentally--surface generated a billion in revenues last quarter--thats about
12% of ipad sales.
That's impressive IMO. Especially given how Microsoft botched the initial release of the Surface line. It is why I think that Microsoft rushed the SP3 to market and why Apple will produce something similar... Apple knows that Microsoft finally got it mostly right with the SP3.

b3ats

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
UK
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

12" Mac screen that detaches from its keyboard base to become an iPad running dual OS - iOS via emulation. MacPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.