Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bludsrevenge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
A year ago an ex friend of mine sold me their iPhone 5 before they left the country. Little did I know it was iCloud locked. By the time it arrived in the mail it was too late and they had left. I have checked the IMEI and its clean. Not stolen. I called this friend and they said they could not remember the email to the account. They have never responded to my calls since.

Now I am trying to fix this phone and sell it. Selling the phone for parts would get me something, but the extra money I would get if its functional would give me enough to pay rent this month as I am short.

I have seen on forums people claiming to have bypassed it on this IOS, but I cannot find any guides how.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone can either tell me what to do or point me in the direction of the answer I can send over $20 via paypal or bitcoin

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
No, bypassing activation lock is not possible. The activation lock involves the iPhone and Apple servers communicating with each other - hacking the iPhone wouldn't be enough to bypass the security. There are some websites that claim to bypass activation lock, but they only exist to rob a user of their money.

Reactions: Applejuiced

bludsrevenge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
No, bypassing activation lock is not possible. The activation lock involves the iPhone and Apple servers communicating with each other - hacking the iPhone wouldn't be enough to bypass the security. There are some websites that claim to bypass activation lock, but they only exist to rob a user of their money.
I was looking at many of these sites. Its hard to know what is real and what is a scam

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
The Apple link I posted above is the only legit way I'm aware of to remove activation lock.
Yep, that is the only way. If the activation lock involved just the iOS device, then someone would have cracked it by now. The thing is, activation lock involves the iOS device and Apple servers communicating with each other. So, someone would have to hack the iOS device and the Apple servers, as well as break Apple's encryption. And, the FBI/NSA showed us all how difficult it is to break Apple's encryption ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
At this point there's little further to discuss. These threads tend to degrade with bickering and accusations. OP you have your answer and I'm locking the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.