Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
ScreenSpanningDoctor, the application that enables extended desktop mode on some Macs, isn't that sketchy. All it does is set one value in NVRAM to enable it. It doesn't push the video card any more than the a comparable GPU as most GPU's from about 2001 and newer are designed to be able to drive at least two displays. The reason why Apple didn't enable it is because at the time it was a pro feature that was used to sell people on their pro line. G3 iMacs are not able to mirror their display with ScreenSpanningDoctor. They use an unsupported GPU.

I researched this application some time ago, and maybe I should go back for a refresher to see if anyone has had troubles with it. Although yeah, I am sure it's fine.

By the way, did you mean to say that the G3's GPU cannot support desktop expansion? They already do mirroring. Having a display port on that machine was odd... I suppose it had its very unconventional uses, if any.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Couldn't resist taking a snap of my latest retro addition...a vintage Razr V3, getting in touch with my Powerbook...amazingly, the same set up as I had exactly 10 years ago when I was 'cutting edge' !

Attachments

• RAZR.jpg
    RAZR.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I remember the RAZR well, and used one for a while.

It was "the phone", back before Smartphones in general, and the iPhone(3G) in particular caught on in a big way.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

It was "the phone", back before Smartphones in general, and the iPhone(3G) in particular caught on in a big way.

Yes, big on style but not so hot on features - even back then. I always loved it's look though and think it's style is in keeping with the Powerbook.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Yes, big on style but not so hot on features - even back then. I always loved it's look though and think it's style is in keeping with the Powerbook.

I remember when both my parents and my grandma had one. I ended up getting one in around 2010, which is when the iPhone began to REALLY catch on, as well as other smartphones.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I remember when both my parents and my grandma had one. I ended up getting one in around 2010, which is when the iPhone began to REALLY catch on, as well as other smartphones.

Yes, the iPhone put smartphones on the map for most people but oldies like myself had been carrying the internet & email round in our pockets for a long time before that :) I got my original Razr in early 2005 as an alternative to the bulky smartphones I'd been carrying - the Nokia 9110i and O2 Xda II - which were fantastic phones - the wow factor of checking emails and browsing on the go was something else in 2002/3/4 :) Not so wow was the download speed of around 14Kbps!

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Yes, the iPhone put smartphones on the map for most people but oldies like myself had been carrying the internet & email round in our pockets for a long time before that :) I got my original Razr in early 2005 as an alternative to the bulky smartphones I'd been carrying - the Nokia 9110i and O2 Xda II - which were fantastic phones - the wow factor of checking emails and browsing on the go was something else in 2002/3/4 :) Not so wow was the download speed of around 14Kbps!

Yeah, my dad had some weird "smartphone" back in 2003. Phones were in a pretty sad state back then, in my opinion. I personally like talking on a flip-phone (find it more ergonomic), but they were the same thing every year... much like the current automobiles.

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
Couldn't resist taking a snap of my latest retro addition...a vintage Razr V3, getting in touch with my Powerbook...amazingly, the same set up as I had exactly 10 years ago when I was 'cutting edge' !

Yup, had the same setup, I used Blue Phone Elite to SMS with the PB.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Haven't done much with my macs lately except add some lighting to my MDD dual 1.42. What do you think?

bd95c3279c1b02ab5daf89b61e8d1c82.jpg

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN

i have always wanted a RAZR its my favourite phone. Unfortunately using it with carriers these days just isnt practical it would cost more than the phone is worth to put one into service

----------

Haven't done much with my macs lately except add some lighting to my MDD dual 1.42. What do you think?

if you made those lights blink to HDD activity that would be badass

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I finally have a (somewhat) decent looking PPC setup to show off!

I have updated my setup somewhat. Added the Early 2001 Indigo iMac and cleaned things up a bit. The only thing I'm really missing is one more keyboard... the G3 Power Mac has a Mighty Mouse and the two iMacs have Apple Pro Mice.

Ignore the piece of garbage in the middle. I have some hobbies that require the use of Windows. It's the only Windows machine in the house, and we have 7 Macs and 3 Hackintoshes, so it must feel very unwelcome on the network.

ppc12.jpg

ppc13.jpg

ppc14.jpg

ppc15.jpg

ppc16.jpg

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I have updated my setup somewhat. Added the Early 2001 Indigo iMac and cleaned things up a bit. The only thing I'm really missing is one more keyboard... the G3 Power Mac has a Mighty Mouse and the two iMacs have Apple Pro Mice.

Ignore the piece of garbage in the middle. I have some hobbies that require the use of Windows. It's the only Windows machine in the house, and we have 7 Macs and 3 Hackintoshes, so it must feel very unwelcome on the network.

I have to ask, Why 4 computers?

CapnCrunch53

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
Indiana
Nice setup, seinman. Those iMacs are looking good! You may not love the Windows machine in the middle, but I have to say, I approve whole-heartedly of your choice in keyboard. Model M is best keyboard :cool:

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I have to ask, Why 4 computers?

I actually barely use any of them, they are mostly just to collect. I do use the iMacs occasionally to play a few classic games (Munchies, Sim City 2000, and Sim Tower) but that's about it. Guests love seeing them and trying them out, too. My primary computer is a Retina MBP.

Eventually I would like to get a desk for our guest bedroom and put one of the iMacs in there, for guests to check their email and such, but really with wifi and everyone having a smart phone, it would be more for show than anything.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I actually barely use any of them, they are mostly just to collect. I do use the iMacs occasionally to play a few classic games (Munchies, Sim City 2000, and Sim Tower) but that's about it. Guests love seeing them and trying them out, too. My primary computer is a Retina MBP.

Eventually I would like to get a desk for our guest bedroom and put one of the iMacs in there, for guests to check their email and such, but really with wifi and everyone having a smart phone, it would be more for show than anything.

not everyone has a smartphone

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Only 4?

At last count I had 17 in my house. All up and running too!

Yup. My home office has my primary computer (Intel iMac) plus another half dozen vintage computers, ready to use. My basement "workshop" has another half dozen vintage computers, ready to use. Plus a bunch more in storage in the basement.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Are you a PPC fan?

Yeah they are interesting
I mean the computers, like the iMac G3 and G4 and PowerMac G3 B&W and PowerMac G4 Yikes!/Sawtooth/Digital Audio/QuickSilver/MDD. I don't really like the iMac G5 and PowerMac G5... they all look the same and grey like the old beige/platinum machines.
I'm not interested in the PowerPC chip itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.