Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
2013 Chevy Malibu
2013-chevrolet-malibu-ltz-turbo-side.jpg

I've got one of these. The turbo is really nice, its got a nice get up.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
2015 Subaru WRX w/ 6 speed manual

Reliability: 10/10
Satisfaction: ∞/10. It's ****ing awesome.

Next car? I've had my car for 6 weeks, hopefully I won't be buying a new car any time soon.

jealous :eek::D

I have a 2009 Subaru Legacy SE.

Definitely 10/10 on the reliability, over 50k and have not had a single issue yet. Still have factory warranty for another year too.

Satisfaction.. 9.99/10. I love this car, it's fun to drive & handles amazing. I can smoke every car on the road in a snow storm. My only wish is that it had a turbo.. should have sprung for the GT model.

Next car? Either a new WRX or Legacy in about 3-4 years. As long as I'm living in New England I don't see myself buying a car that isn't a Subaru.

NocturnalJazz

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
2007 Acura TSX

Satisfaction: 9/10, bucket seats make long drives a bit hard on the back

Next Car: another Acura, this one will go for a while so I am not looking. If tesla comes down in price and my comments is shorter I may consider them. Otherwise, my acura has been great. No reason to change.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
2007 Acura TSX

Next Car: another Acura, this one will go for a while so I am not looking. If tesla comes down in price and my comments is shorter I may consider them. Otherwise, my acura has been great. No reason to change.

Acuras are very nice cars.

Hint tho:

Buy a deckted out Honda for 10,000 dollars less. its the same car

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
(I'll update this post with pics later when I can take them)

Car: 2012 Toyota Yaris LE 5D
Reliability: 9/10
Next Car: Whatever I'll be able to afford. Hopefully by next car time I'll be in the leagues of a Mercedes CLA or GLA. It'll be a long time before I buy a new car though, so we'll see.

So, I got the car in May, and let me tell you, I'm very impressed. Before I got it the only car I was really driving my my mom's Mercedes-Benz GLK350. I can definitely say I find the Yaris way more fun to drive than the GLK. You wouldn't think the Yaris would be much (and the 4-speed automatic is a little archaic), but it's actually quite a fun car. It's no Miata or Golf GTI, but I'd say it's not very far behind in terms of fun factor.

I was actually surprised to find out bluetooth was standard but power windows/locks were an option, but then I remembered everyone and their mother has a bluetooth enabled phone (even the most basic phones offer A2DP streaming at this point) so it's no surprise. Being the LE, I have almost every option except for DRLs, cruise control, intermittent rear wiper, fog lights, and a tachometer (only the 2012 SE models would be equipped with these options; I think now the 2014 models all come with DRLs and intermittent rear wipers, however the LE gives you the cruse control, and the SE keeps the tach and fog lights exclusively). Every other available option though (power windows/locks, upgraded sound system, etc.) is available.

As far as driving the thing, it's great. It's small car size gives it an INSANE turning radius combined with the fact it takes up almost NO space (When I pull up to a parking lot I still have loads of room available in the back and the sides!). The steering and acceleration are both light, and not much effort is needed to make a quick turn, go fast, or brake fast. It's very responsive, but also it can be easy to drive aggressively in. Add on the manual option and the whole vehicle is in your control. Other than the basic required driving assists, there's not much else (and you can even disable some of those). I don't have the manual, but the automatic, and pulling off from a complete stop isn't difficult at all. One thing I noticed in the previous generations is that you would DEFINITELY feel the car lurch forward with even the lightest push of the accelerator, but in the newest generation (2012 on), you only feel that when you slam the accelerator. I will say though that the car seems like it's never quite sure itself when to shift; it can be jumpy and noticeable at times.

As far as the cabin itself, you're not going to find anything fancy. There's bluetooth audio and calling, but that's pretty basic and pretty much the only high-tech option you're going to find. Even on the head unit there's no way to input numbers, only to access numbers stored on the devices. The radio itself supports AM, FM (with HD Radio), Sirius XM (installable at the dealers), USB and AUX, and Bluetooth. One of the STUPIDEST design decisions Toyota has ever made though lies with the AUX/USB input. Care to guess where it is? In the center console? On the face of the radio? Nope, it's tucked away far in the corner of the glovebox. Unless you plan on keeping a device plugged in there 24/7, stick with Bluetooth or buy an FM transmitter. The head unit itself is very aftermarket looking but is functional. One annoying thing is that the end/send buttons are ONLY on the radio, requiring you to lean forward to access them (the steering wheel has controls, but only for changing stations/tracks, volume, and source mode). It's Double DIN by default, so those wanting to install a touchscreen are in luck! less work!.

One thing I don't like isn't the Yaris itself, but rather Toyota's decisions. In the UK and other markets the Yaris actually offers so much more. In the US you get one engine, one automatic, and very basic features. In other markets you can get things like CVTs, power tailgates, OEM touchscreen with Entune, automatic climate control, backup cameras, LED lighting, even a hybrid option! Hopefully with the next generation, Toyota will bring these features to the US (considering the main competition like the Kia Soul, Nissan Versa Note, Chevy Spark, and Honda Fit all have similar options available at this point).

The vehicle itself, while basic plastic and cloth, is actually quite comfortable, roomy, and handsome. You know you're sitting in a $15,000 car but it doesn't feel that way. Toyota did a great job of making a comfortable cabin on top of a very comfortable ride.

Pros:
Very smooth ride
Small turning radius makes it easy to maneuver
Offers a LOT of room for a car of its class
For 6 speakers, it sounds really nice

Cons:
Competitors offer more tech and options while remaining within the same price range
Automatic can be jumpy at times & 4-speed automatic
Small wiper blades are cute, but don't cover an optimal amount of area (rear wiper a little too small, front wiper does a good job clearing what's right in front of the driver, but not so much the left side. Two wipers would fix this)

Overall it's a great car, and even though I do find myself wishing for some of the finer things (LEDs/DRLs, better head unit, etc.) I'm still above and beyond impressed with the car and glad I chose to go with this model. If you need a car on a budget or you're looking for a good first car, go with a Yaris. I find it to be much more comfortable than the Versa/Note and better looking than a Spark/Soul.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
- Year/Make/Model - 2009 Honda Ridgeline RTS
- Reliability - Flawless (bought brand new)
- Satisfaction from 1-10 - 10. Hasn't disappointed me in any aspect
- Next car - Honda Pilot, Honda CRV, Lexus LS430, Inifiniti FX35

r i c h

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
California
2011 Ford F150 Raptor
10/10 for both reliability and satisfaction.
Next Car: Although I plan to keep my Raptor for many years to come it will most likely become a weekend vehicle/garage queen in the future. Daily driving duties will be handed over to a new GTR in the next year or so.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
2007 Volvo S60
Reliability: 9/10 (nothing major, just minor issues)
Satisfaction: 7/10. I actually like the car very much and hope to keep it for a long time, but for my kind of driving (mostly city) I am lucky to get 20 MPG. On the highway it is about 27 MPG. So it does take quite a bit of fuel. It's turbocharged and has quite a bit of power (208 HP, 236 ft lbs @ 1500 RPM) so that makes it pretty fun to drive. You can smoke most people at lights without aggressive acceleration. But also, my car doesn't have bluetooth or iPod connect so that is a little disappointing as well. The car is also really small on the inside. A Corolla is probably bigger than my car on the inside. I haven't had any major problems with it (touch wood) but if something were to arise it would probably be a bit more expensive to repair on my car. I'm not expecting to have any major problems with it though - it's not the first Volvo in the family and our other ones have been great.

Next car: Not sure. Still enjoying this car a lot so I haven't really thought about anything else.

2007-volvo-s60-2-5t.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

^small backseat

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
2011 BMW M3 sedan.

Reliability has been 10/10; I do most of my own work and stay up on maintenance.

Satisfaction is similarly 10/10 - it is a blast to drive and has been through some stuff I didn't think it would handle well.

2001 BMW 325xi.

Reliability has likewise been 10/10 - I never give it a chance to misbehave.

Satisfaction is probably 7-8/10 - it's underpowered, but is otherwise very well balanced. The non "x" version is noticeably better. It's also darn near bulletproof in bad weather - my wife's Subaru has very little on it.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
(I'll update this post with pics later when I can take them)

Car: 2012 Toyota Yaris LE 5D
Reliability: 9/10
Next Car: Whatever I'll be able to afford. Hopefully by next car time I'll be in the leagues of a Mercedes CLA or GLA. It'll be a long time before I buy a new car though, so we'll see.

So, I got the car in May, and let me tell you, I'm very impressed. Before I got it the only car I was really driving my my mom's Mercedes-Benz GLK350. I can definitely say I find the Yaris way more fun to drive than the GLK. You wouldn't think the Yaris would be much (and the 4-speed automatic is a little archaic), but it's actually quite a fun car. It's no Miata or Golf GTI, but I'd say it's not very far behind in terms of fun factor.

I was actually surprised to find out bluetooth was standard but power windows/locks were an option, but then I remembered everyone and their mother has a bluetooth enabled phone (even the most basic phones offer A2DP streaming at this point) so it's no surprise. Being the LE, I have almost every option except for DRLs, cruise control, intermittent rear wiper, fog lights, and a tachometer (only the 2012 SE models would be equipped with these options; I think now the 2014 models all come with DRLs and intermittent rear wipers, however the LE gives you the cruse control, and the SE keeps the tach and fog lights exclusively). Every other available option though (power windows/locks, upgraded sound system, etc.) is available.

As far as driving the thing, it's great. It's small car size gives it an INSANE turning radius combined with the fact it takes up almost NO space (When I pull up to a parking lot I still have loads of room available in the back and the sides!). The steering and acceleration are both light, and not much effort is needed to make a quick turn, go fast, or brake fast. It's very responsive, but also it can be easy to drive aggressively in. Add on the manual option and the whole vehicle is in your control. Other than the basic required driving assists, there's not much else (and you can even disable some of those). I don't have the manual, but the automatic, and pulling off from a complete stop isn't difficult at all. One thing I noticed in the previous generations is that you would DEFINITELY feel the car lurch forward with even the lightest push of the accelerator, but in the newest generation (2012 on), you only feel that when you slam the accelerator. I will say though that the car seems like it's never quite sure itself when to shift; it can be jumpy and noticeable at times.

As far as the cabin itself, you're not going to find anything fancy. There's bluetooth audio and calling, but that's pretty basic and pretty much the only high-tech option you're going to find. Even on the head unit there's no way to input numbers, only to access numbers stored on the devices. The radio itself supports AM, FM (with HD Radio), Sirius XM (installable at the dealers), USB and AUX, and Bluetooth. One of the STUPIDEST design decisions Toyota has ever made though lies with the AUX/USB input. Care to guess where it is? In the center console? On the face of the radio? Nope, it's tucked away far in the corner of the glovebox. Unless you plan on keeping a device plugged in there 24/7, stick with Bluetooth or buy an FM transmitter. The head unit itself is very aftermarket looking but is functional. One annoying thing is that the end/send buttons are ONLY on the radio, requiring you to lean forward to access them (the steering wheel has controls, but only for changing stations/tracks, volume, and source mode). It's Double DIN by default, so those wanting to install a touchscreen are in luck! less work!.

One thing I don't like isn't the Yaris itself, but rather Toyota's decisions. In the UK and other markets the Yaris actually offers so much more. In the US you get one engine, one automatic, and very basic features. In other markets you can get things like CVTs, power tailgates, OEM touchscreen with Entune, automatic climate control, backup cameras, LED lighting, even a hybrid option! Hopefully with the next generation, Toyota will bring these features to the US (considering the main competition like the Kia Soul, Nissan Versa Note, Chevy Spark, and Honda Fit all have similar options available at this point).

The vehicle itself, while basic plastic and cloth, is actually quite comfortable, roomy, and handsome. You know you're sitting in a $15,000 car but it doesn't feel that way. Toyota did a great job of making a comfortable cabin on top of a very comfortable ride.

Pros:
Very smooth ride
Small turning radius makes it easy to maneuver
Offers a LOT of room for a car of its class
For 6 speakers, it sounds really nice

Cons:
Competitors offer more tech and options while remaining within the same price range
Automatic can be jumpy at times & 4-speed automatic
Small wiper blades are cute, but don't cover an optimal amount of area (rear wiper a little too small, front wiper does a good job clearing what's right in front of the driver, but not so much the left side. Two wipers would fix this)

Overall it's a great car, and even though I do find myself wishing for some of the finer things (LEDs/DRLs, better head unit, etc.) I'm still above and beyond impressed with the car and glad I chose to go with this model. If you need a car on a budget or you're looking for a good first car, go with a Yaris. I find it to be much more comfortable than the Versa/Note and better looking than a Spark/Soul.

Nice write-up! Your enthusiasm for the Yaris definitely makes me more intrigued. I could probably resell the CTS I'm getting if I have issues with it and just buy a compact car like a Yaris or Mazda3 but I like the roomy feeling of a full-size sedan. I'm sure the Yaris is incredibly safe, but on compact cars like the Mazda3 and Scion Tc the glass shatters inwards in a crash whereas on larger cars it shatters outwards. Besides that compact cars are becoming nicer by the year and are catching up to the features of a higher-priced alternative.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
No love for Cadillac on these forums? I know mechanically they're not the most reliable to drive. As many owners as I know that have no issues I know quite a few that put thousands upon thousands into their relatively-recent Cadillacs (well, a car should last 7-10 years trouble-free). Yet, I'm a fan of the the styling, am getting a great deal, and will only own for a couple thousand miles so I should be ok. Will officially own my CTS tomorrow pending a clean inspection... then can start driving after we meet up for final exchange next week :cool:.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No love for Cadillac on these forums? I know mechanically they're not the most reliable to drive. As many owners as I know that have no issues I know quite a few that put thousands upon thousands into their relatively-recent Cadillacs (well, a car should last 7-10 years trouble-free). Yet, I'm a fan of the the styling, am getting a great deal, and will only own for a couple thousand miles so I should be ok. Will officially own my CTS tomorrow pending a clean inspection... then can start driving after we meet up for final exchange next week :cool:.

I +love+ the CTS-V Wagon. 556HP supercharged V8, easily tuned to 650-700, loads of torque, available as a 6-speed manual, tons of room and storage, terrific interior. Blowing people in the weeds with a _station_wagon_. Yes please :D

CTSV-wagon-Canepa.jpg

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I +love+ the CTS-V Wagon. 556HP supercharged V8, easily tuned to 650-700, loads of torque, available as a 6-speed manual, tons of room and storage, terrific interior. Blowing people in the weeds with a _station_wagon_. Yes please :D

It's pretty universally-praised as a super-car at a quarter of the price! It has more horsepower than the base Lamborghini Gallardo... My only gripe with the CTS-V is that most drivers don't know the difference between it and a CTS. I feel if I was to ever spend that much money I'd want a design that differentiates itself more so for the price tag.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's pretty universally-praised as a super-car at a quarter of the price! It has more horsepower than the base Lamborghini Gallardo... My only gripe with the CTS-V is that most drivers don't know the difference between it and a CTS. I feel if I was to ever spend that much money I'd want a design that differentiates itself more so for the price tag.

I kind of dig on special models that slightly differentiate aesthetically, but are a big difference where it counts: drivetrain, seating, suspension. CTS-V, M3, Z06, GT500, etc.

I’ve driven both the NA 1st gen cars (LS6/LS2) and the blown 2nd gen cars (LSA), in coupe and sedan flavors, but never a wagon. The concept of the wagon really makes me smile.

The V has come up on my radar a few times, if you need back seats and want a sedan in particular, it’s an interesting option vs. something like an M3 or Audi S4. I’ve heard great things about Caddy service centers as well.

:cool:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Acuras are very nice cars.

Hint tho:

Buy a deckted out Honda for 10,000 dollars less. its the same car

When you drive an Acura, you know where that extra money goes.

----------

2007 Acura TSX

The TLX with SH-AWD looks like a beast.

NocturnalJazz

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013

----------

The TLX with SH-AWD looks like a beast.

Agreed. I drove every year of accords from 2000-2013. Nothing drive like my acura. I really wanted a honda, but they don't drive the same.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003

Exactly correct.

I wish the TL hadn't been ruined. The prior generation is one of the best looking (and driving) cars on the road. IMO, obviously.

And there's no comparison with any Accord.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Exactly correct.

I wish the TL hadn't been ruined. The prior generation is one of the best looking (and driving) cars on the road. IMO, obviously.

The 3G TL type S was a special vehicle. It really was the last true exciting Acura. The RLX sport hybrid looks cool and the next gen NSX looks awesome, too. I've seen some awesome potential CLX (TLX two door concept) that looked cool, too. Hopefully the TLX is a success and they develop a hybrid similar to the Accord hybrid.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

Sure there is..... This Accord.

2008-2011_Honda_Accord_Euro_sedan_(2011-06-15)_01.jpg

Which I think G5 was going for. The fact Acura's are rebadged European Honda's. Though not sure how much the European Accord costs compared to the TSX.

EDIT: Now that I am on my computer, the European Accord is comparable in price to the TSX here.

Last edited:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
My last few vehicles have been Ford Rangers: an '88, a '98 and now an '08. The last two I had were wonderful (killed only by my own negligence :eek:), a quirk here and there of course but overall I loved them.

But geez, I've had this '08 for a year and half now and I'm starting to get worried: no reliability problems so far, but everything about it just feels poorly made. The tailgate handle has already broken off, the drivers door has rattled horribly since I got it, the AC kicks on and off. Not to mention almost every plastic panel has large gaps, and have way too much "squishy" give to them. (On the bright side, I solved the problem of my aerial antenna coming lose and falling off once a week by taking some pliers to it. :rolleyes:)

However, I must give credit where it is due. My Ranger isn't just used to carry groceries or the dog like most people seem to use them for, mine actually does a fair amount of "real truck" stuff. Light off-roading, hauling loads and towing trailers; I don't really abuse it per se, but it's definitely been in seriously rough terrain it had no right being in, and I've sailed past the manufacturer recommended maximum tow/haul capacity by, uh, quite a bit on a few occasions. (What can I say, it's Texas. ;)) It's tackled everything I've thrown at it without complaint, so I do have to look the other way a bit on the issues it does have.

Satisfaction: 7/10

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
6 months of owning this 2014 Ford Fusion SE and I'm liking it more everyday, and so are other folks. I was out at breakfast this morning and a waitress working a different section than I was in went out of her way to compliment me on the car and how nice it was. Then one of the other ladies walked over and joined in the chorus! They also said I look really good driving it! Must be the hat. :cool:

Almost not a week or two goes by where someone one is gushing on this car.

Attachments

• 2014-07-19 07.20.43.jpg
    2014-07-19 07.20.43.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sure there is..... This Accord.

2008-2011_Honda_Accord_Euro_sedan_(2011-06-15)_01.jpg

Which I think G5 was going for. The fact Acura's are rebadged European Honda's. Though not sure how much the European Accord costs compared to the TSX.

EDIT: Now that I am on my computer, the European Accord is comparable in price to the TSX here.

Obviously he was referring to the USDM Accord, not the EDM. And that car is certainly better than most of the USDM Accords on the market.

6 months of owning this 2014 Ford Fusion SE and I'm liking it more everyday, and so are other folks. I was out at breakfast this morning and a waitress working a different section than I was in went out of her way to compliment me on the car and how nice it was. Then one of the other ladies walked over and joined in the chorus! They also said I look really good driving it! Must be the hat. :cool:

Almost not a week or two goes by where someone one is gushing on this car.

I absolutely love the look of those cars. They have the Aston Martin grill which looks fantastic. Ford has done so well on their branded vehicles. So well, in fact, I'm shocked they can't figure out Lincoln.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.