Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
I absolutely love the look of those cars. They have the Aston Martin grill which looks fantastic. Ford has done so well on their branded vehicles. So well, in fact, I'm shocked they can't figure out Lincoln.

Agreed. As I mentioned in my post, my wife loves hers, and my only complaint is the massively unpowered 4cyl engine (that we chose). But then again, I don't drive it regularly, so the engine isn't my problem :cool:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Agreed. As I mentioned in my post, my wife loves hers, and my only complaint is the massively unpowered 4cyl engine (that we chose). But then again, I don't drive it regularly, so the engine isn't my problem :cool:

I came from a 2003 F-150 with a 260HP 5.4L V8 to this Fusion with a 2.5L I4 with 175 HP, 175 ft.lbs of torque. Yeah, it's not super powerful, but IMO, it still boogies. I have no issues merging with expressway traffic at 70 MPH +. These aren't the 4-bangers of the 80's and 90's; they have decent power for a small engine, naturally aspirated too.

It's really super fun in the curves with the sport mode tap shifting and awesome suspension and stability control. It can take some serious corners at high speed and not even come close to losing control.

Plus, I'm getting about 30 mpg with it. I'm really happy with this car.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I came from a 2003 F-150 with a 260HP 5.4L V8 to this Fusion with a 2.5L I4 with 175 HP, 175 ft.lbs of torque. Yeah, it's not super powerful, but IMO, it still boogies. I have no issues merging with expressway traffic at 70 MPH +. These aren't the 4-bangers of the 80's and 90's; they have decent power for a small engine, naturally aspirated too.

It's really super fun in the curves with the sport mode tap shifting and awesome suspension and stability control. It can take some serious corners at high speed and not even come close to losing control.

That's very much the same with my truck. People look down upon it and make fun of it and me to an extent for driving a truck with a little 2.3L four cylinder engine. I in turn laugh at their in ability to get anything over 20mpg, while I'm often pushing 30+mpg. I don't care how much it can haul or tow, I rarely do that. The only time I thought the 2.3L engine was underpowered was when driving my friend's that has an automatic transmission. That was not a pleasant experience. The manual transmission makes 2.3L Rangers so much better to drive.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That's very much the same with my truck. People look down upon it and make fun of it and me to an extent for driving a truck with a little 2.3L four cylinder engine. I in turn laugh at their in ability to get anything over 20mpg, while I'm often pushing 30+mpg. I don't care how much it can haul or tow, I rarely do that. The only time I thought the 2.3L engine was underpowered was when driving my friend's that has an automatic transmission. That was not a pleasant experience. The manual transmission makes 2.3L Rangers so much better to drive.

I really liked that F-150 a lot, plenty of power and 4x4 to get though anything. But it was expensive and with 12-14 mpg, it was terrible at the pump.

Now with the Fusion and 30 mpg, I don't miss the truck too much anymore. That sentiment will change come winter again when we get dumped on with snow - then I will want the 4x4 again. But I'll manage.

When I see giant, jacked up trucks, going down the road, I just look it as a money pit with dollars flying out the window everywhere, especially in fuel.

I do like trucks, but I don't actually need a truck. What I need is something more economical these days and the Fusion delivers, and does it in style.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
- 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe, Manual transmission
-
bmw-3-series-2008-aluminium-silver-coupe-320i-m-sport-e92-e41e0e6b47bca6c2c412c5c25567d293-m2.jpg

- Reliability 9/10: Never broken down, just had one recall.
- Satisfaction from 9/10: Would be higher, but I changed jobs and coasts, thus don't need all wheel drive and could have had an M3 or the Cayman I was looking at. Plus it took awhile to find a manual XI and it doesn't have navigation. Just want the nicer view for music. Things I would change: bluetooth for music, eliminate the run flats.
-Favorite features: heated steering wheel, reliability, manual transmission, fold down seats can turn the back into a pickup, was less than a new Honda/Toyota even with it being a CPO with 4 more years of warranty when I bought it.
- Next car: 2009 or newer 911 S, possibly Targa 4S. Only thing not compromising on is manual transmission, S model, heated seats, Nav, bluetooth and iPod hook up. Leaning towards the Targa as I imagine it being beautiful when it is raining out here in the PNW, but still get to enjoy the summer with large sunroof. Unfortunately I walk to work everyday, usually drive my car just to experience some mountain fun up to Snoqualmie Pass.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

Reliability
10/10 (mechanical)
My car only has 4,000 miles on it and have not experienced any mechanical problems.
5/10 (everything else)
The steering wheel is made out of a cheap plasticy leatherette and is already peeling. The bluetooth has problems hanging up calls and the navigation system resets and does not play any audio every so often. The bumper is a very cheap plastic. The CVT transmission is very loud when you start from a stop, once you get to highway speeds it is quiet.

Satisfaction
7.5/10
Overall the car has many great features (back up camera, heated seats, fold down rear seats, large trunk, auto start, keyless intelligent entry, plenty of leg room, sunroof, navigation, bluetooth audio). I wish it was built with slightly better materials but i guess you get what you pay for.

I came from a 2011 BMW 328 x drive and you cannot even compare the cars. My next car I think might be a Mini Cooper.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

And it looks gorgeous. Seriously.

ford-fusion-mondeo-accused-of-looking-too-much-like-an-aston-martin_1.jpg

----------

2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

Reliability
10/10 (mechanical)
My car only has 4,000 miles on it and have not experienced any mechanical problems.
5/10 (everything else)
The steering wheel is made out of a cheap plasticy leatherette and is already peeling. The bluetooth has problems hanging up calls and the navigation system resets and does not play any audio every so often. The bumper is a very cheap plastic. The CVT transmission is very loud when you start from a stop, once you get to highway speeds it is quiet.

Satisfaction
7.5/10
Overall the car has many great features (back up camera, heated seats, fold down rear seats, large trunk, auto start, keyless intelligent entry, plenty of leg room, sunroof, navigation, bluetooth audio). I wish it was built with slightly better materials but i guess you get what you pay for.

I came from a 2011 BMW 328 x drive and you cannot even compare the cars. My next car I think might be a Mini Cooper.

This is the usual knock on Nissan products. Interiors are just so far behind, but otherwise they are extremely well built. Thanks for sharing!

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
2007 Honda Civic EX Automatic

Reliability: (10/10) - I got to say I got this car back when I was using it for my post-graduate studies and wanted something good on gas and it has delivered. Apart from usual maintenance it hasn't given me any other problems. Let's hope it stays the same

Satisfaction: (7.5/10) - I think for 2007 it's a great interior. Digital Speedometer, very ahead of it's time and it's still ahead of lots of cars nowadays but it's lacking a few things I would like which are: bluetooth, a screen (not necessarily nav but just for info), tire pressure monitoring system, and perhaps heated seats/XM radio or USB ports.

Next car: 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe or 2015 Audi A4

5VSSg8t.jpg
hB32dHU.jpg

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
tire pressure monitoring system

Not to derail the subject of the thread but I loath TPMS system, especially when they decide not to work correctly. Had a rental care once that insisted the tire pressure was always low, I even reset the damn thing and about 15 minutes later it started all over again.

Is it so damn hard to check the tire pressure in your care once a week? It takes all of 5 minutes...

I understand that I had one bad experience and I should not judge it on that but seriously, it seems like a "feature" looking for a problem.

rant over

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Not to derail the subject of the thread but I loath TPMS system, especially when they decide not to work correctly. Had a rental care once that insisted the tire pressure was always low, I even reset the damn thing and about 15 minutes later it started all over again.

Is it so damn hard to check the tire pressure in your care once a week? It takes all of 5 minutes...

I understand that I had one bad experience and I should not judge it on that but seriously, it seems like a "feature" looking for a problem.

rant over

I think it's useful. I mean there are times I'm busy that I forget to check and I realize a week or 2 later just by looking at them. I do agree with you however, if it works then great. If not then I'm fine the way my car is now. I've never had it so right now it would be a 'luxury' for me.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Both me and wife have Mazda 3's hatchbacks. Love them both. They are both 2013's and have had zero issues with them (I would hope they wouldn't have any issues).

They are fun to drive to too!

Zoom Zoom...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

rant over

Agreed 100%
Unfortunately I have this problem on my car. I know that I can take it in to be fixed but I don't really feel like spending money on this. At least, not right now. Periodically I will get a warning message about my TPMS not working properly or that I will have low air, but I don't care. It's probably a nice feature to have when it works properly, but it's nothing something I'd go out of my way to have.

Visually inspecting your tires and checking the pressure every week or so is good enough.

Last iOS 5 user

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Vancouver, BC
I have 2 cars

Car 1: 2005 BMW E65
Reliability: OK (needs attention or else problems occur)
Satisfaction: 7/10
Next car: Undecided

This is my main car and daily. 4.4L V8 very poor MPG but since it's a BMW it's all about the driving experience and being a 7 series it's also about luxury. Second owner of it, very cheap when i got it.

Car 2: 1991 Grand Voyager 3.3L
Reliability: Make sure cooling system is fully working and it'll be super reliable
Satisfaction: 9/10
Next car: If i continue to have a need for a van, Honda Odyssey

I use this when I have to transport lots of people, objects, or to tow (it has tow hitch.) 3rd owner, USA import. No daytime running lights (which is actually good because unlike the BMW which defaults to having them on and I have to turn them off because I don't want them), very underpowered but is reliable unless some part of cooling system fails and the van overheats (this is a common problem of these vans). Bought it because it was cheap, but if i continue to need a van and want to change it i'll get a Honda which has more power and a better cooling.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
The most current vehicle is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

Reliability: ok, it's only four months old.
Satisfaction: 9/10, the gas mileage sucks.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Car #1
- Year/Make/Model
2013 Audi S7 Prestige

- Reliability
Zero issues in the ~2 years I've had it. 10/10

- Satisfaction from 1-10
9.5/10. I would have gotten the TDI model, if it were out when I got my car. The power is fantastic, but the MPG is just :eek:

- Next car
Have another year on the lease. Replacement will be a Panamera.

Car #2
- Year/Make/Model
2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35d

- Reliability
9/10. One CEL in the 3 years I've had it. Few recalls, but that's about it. Never got me stranded. No other issues to report.

- Satisfaction from 1-10
10/10. My BMW dealer is fantastic. I've never had any problems with them. They come to my house, pick up my car, drop off a loaner, and then get it serviced. Not to mention, all of this is free for the period of the warranty. I LOVE the twin-turbo diesel engine in this car. And it gets respectable gas mileage. Low 20s combined and ~26mpg on the highway.

- Next car
I never keep cars longer than ~2 years, but this was the first car I've kept for the entire warranty period. The warranty on the X5 ends May 2015, so I will be trading it in soon. The replacement will be a 2015 Porsche Macan or Cayenne. Haven't decided on which, but it will be one of them.

Dream car? I'm a Porsche nut, so 911 Turbo. I'll own one someday :)

I'm pretty partial to German brands, but if I really had to choose another country, it would be Toyota/Lexus.

Last edited:

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
- 09 Honda Civic Si

-

- Reliability: 10/10
It's cheap to maintain and can take a lot of abuse...close to 100k miles and I still redline it mercilessly and without worry.

- Satisfaction: 8
Almost the perfect daily driver (would be had I not ruined the ride w/ Eibach springs and Koni shocks...good fun in the canyons though!). Recently put a trailer hitch on so now I can carry my bike, along w/ all my other junk. In fact, I moved almost all my furniture to my new place with this thing! (I should also mention that most of my stuff is from Ikea :eek: ).

- Next car: Mostly likely the upcoming BMW M2, with the civic remaining as a daily.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Year/Make/Model - 2003 Toyota Matrix - five speed, about 110K miles.

Reliability - Great

Satisfaction - 10. With four snow tires on, my Matrix has never met snow conditions (or ice) it couldn't handle.

Next car - no idea, other than it has to have five doors and a roof rack so I can haul my kayak on top, rather than inside. And a manual tranny.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Year/Make/Model - 2005 Mazda 3i
Pictures (optional) - In the post your car thread
Reliability - 8/10. For most of it's life it has been an amazingly reliable car. Recently it has been having issues with idling and randomly dying at a stop. I'm going to take it in soon and see what they can do.
Satisfaction from 1-10 10/10. It's such a fun little car. With the car being the base model, with the lowest engine option (2.0L 4 cylinder) it's still a blast to drive. Mazda didn't stray away from their zoom-zoom nature with this car.
Next car Depending on AWD and a sedan model (i'm really hoping) I'm planning on getting a third generation Mazdaspeed 3. 2016 can't come soon enough.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Year/Make/Model - 2013 Honda Ridgeline
Pictures (optional) - Below
Reliability - close to a 9
Satisfaction from 1-10 The truck scores a 9. Its a great truck, very useful, fun to drive, I marked it down one point because of the gas mileage which is pretty bad. In this day and age, I'm still surprised that Honda could not produce a truck with better gas mileage. Overall though I have no other complaints.
Next car I'm not even thinking about that yet
Here's an old picture, i.e., last winter
Ridgeline.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Satisfaction from 1-10 The truck scores a 9. Its a great truck, very useful, fun to drive, I marked it down one point because of the gas mileage which is pretty bad. In this day and age, I'm still surprised that Honda could not produce a truck with better gas mileage. Overall though I have no other complaints.
View attachment 482722

Very nice! I didn't know you got a two-tone paint job! :p

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
My current ride is a 2011 VW GTI. It's my 3rd turbo 4 VW that I've owned and I'm on the fence about it. My previous two were a 2004 Jetta GL 1.8t and a 2006 Jetta GLI. The interiors in the VWs have always been top quality as far as materials have been concerned and fortunately, I've never had any big issues that require repairs outside of failures that have occured due to modifications I've done, such as diverter valves needing upgraded from running higher than stock boost and causing a failure with the cheap stock valves.

I have the APR stage 1 upgrade done to it that, according to various dynos, should give it about 230whp and 250ft/lbs of tourque. It's very quick. It's quiet on the hiway and doing 90-100mph feels like 60-70 in other cars. It's squat, handle great, is stable, and can get over 30mpg if you're not flooring it.

The one thing that I don't like about it, and it's a big issue, is cabin noise. These are rattles, squeaks, creak, etc... My past two VWs have been extremely quiet, but this one sounds like a $10,000 Geo Metro and not a $25,000 Volkswagen.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
View attachment 482722

Almost all trucks are like that... unless you get a 4 cylinder truck which is not really much of a truck.

Producing the horsepower, tourque, and pulling power required for a truck means less gas mileage... always. Manufacturers are getting better at this but they still have to contend with the weight of the vehicle and the like. Things like cylinder deactivation help somewhat but there needs to be a way to put a truck in that mode, kind of like putting some of the newer cars into "sport mode."

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Almost all trucks are like that... unless you get a 4 cylinder truck which is not really much of a truck.

Producing the horsepower, tourque, and pulling power required for a truck means less gas mileage... always. Manufacturers are getting better at this but they still have to contend with the weight of the vehicle and the like. Things like cylinder deactivation help somewhat but there needs to be a way to put a truck in that mode, kind of like putting some of the newer cars into "sport mode."

Hey now, my little Ranger begs to differ. There isn't much it can't do, that I don't ask it or want it to do. I can haul 1 1/2 ton of rocks, tow a 3,000 boat on the hilly highway, and romp through snow/mud without a problem. And when I'm not pushing it, I still get the wonderful ~29 miles per gallon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.