Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
wallpaper.png

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 yesterday. Now I'm trying out Windows 8.1, seems pretty cool, however some of the stock apps don't work, Photos and Skydrive so far that I've found. Either way, I'm liking it over Windows 7 so far.

ZipZapRap

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
the ability to use a custom background in the metro environment is much appreciated. It's not so much of a jarring experience between that and the desktop now (in fact, the transition has gone the other way.. now its actually excellent). Looking forward to installing the update on my Surface.

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Bleh. I have to say it: Windows 8 looks just abysmal. Sorry, it's just true.

Steve Jobs' famous quote has never been so relevant: "The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste..."

And no, I'm no Windows hater. I think 7 is a great OS and has a lot of great design elements. 8 has to be from the same tasteless hacks that gave us ME and Vista.

ZipZapRap

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)

Just like mine is I think MacOSX should be consigned to the bin because it's boring as bat turd, and Steve Jobs was an overrated hack :)

Opinions hey. Everyone's got them.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 yesterday. Now I'm trying out Windows 8.1, seems pretty cool, however some of the stock apps don't work, Photos and Skydrive so far that I've found. Either way, I'm liking it over Windows 7 so far.

My wife just bought laptop with Windows 8 on it. It's not all that bad, I was even thinking about upgrading my desktop to it. Is there a Microsoft website that will be able to tell you if your desktop can run it? I have a Dell Inspiron desktop that's about 2 years old now.

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
My wife just bought laptop with Windows 8 on it. It's not all that bad, I was even thinking about upgrading my desktop to it. Is there a Microsoft website that will be able to tell you if your desktop can run it? I have a Dell Inspiron desktop that's about 2 years old now.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

If you want to run Windows 8 on your PC, here's what it takes:

•Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

•RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

•Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

•Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Just like mine is I think MacOSX should be consigned to the bin because it's boring as bat turd

Well your opinion is wrong there. Maybe if you were talking about iOS ;)

and Steve Jobs was an overrated hack :)

Well let's see under Steve's leadership we got OS X, the iPad, iPhone, the iMac, etc. Yea other's were involved but to say he was overrated makes you sound silly. ;)

And I don't even like iOS/iPad/iPhone, but I'm not going to deny that they revolutionized the industry.

:)

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA

I love the "Apple Software Update" icon in the lower right corner. :D

Hey, I still have iOS devices, and a Mac. I'm an equal opportunity techie, lol.

Speaking of Windows, I recently bought a new PC, so I should update this thread. Even though now I'm back to Windows 8.0, and it being a new PC and missing a lot of previously owned programs, it's not a snazzy. But still, I like this new computer. So much faster than my 5 year old relic that just died.

Windows 8.1 is nice though, minus the bugs that still need to be worked out. Can't wait for the official release. I'm not putting that pre-release version on this PC. I had so many problems with it on my old PC, and I can't entirely rule out that it may have caused my old PC to die.

ZipZapRap

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
Speaking of Windows, I recently bought a new PC, so I should update this thread. Even though now I'm back to Windows 8.0, and it being a new PC and missing a lot of previously owned programs, it's not a snazzy. But still, I like this new computer. So much faster than my 5 year old relic that just died.

Windows 8.1 is nice though, minus the bugs that still need to be worked out. Can't wait for the official release. I'm not putting that pre-release version on this PC. I had so many problems with it on my old PC, and I can't entirely rule out that it may have caused my old PC to die.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Stratuner04/ScreenshotWin8.jpg]Image[/URL]

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Stratuner04/ScreenshotWin8b.jpg]Image[/URL]

Oooooo can you share that second wallpaper? It's awesome!
Yeah Windows 8.1 is a big improvement over, and this is from someone who thinks 8 is very good anyway.
Microsoft's biggest problem right now, are their first party apps under the Xbox umbrella. They're crap. Long live Zune!!! :D

Well let's see under Steve's leadership we got OS X, the iPad, iPhone, the iMac, etc. Yea other's were involved but to say he was overrated makes you sound silly. ;)

Not if I think those products you mentioned are awful, lol (and I do)

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I know this thread is a bit dead, but figured i'd submit my desktop anyways. I've had Windows 8 for awhile via bootcamp, but never really found the time to mess with it much. I recently built a Windows PC for gaming only and also finally got around to messing with Windows 8.1. I quickly discovered that software installed outside the "Store" resulted in tiles that looked hideous. A quick bit of googling led me to the "OblyTile" program and I created some tiles for the games I have installed.

Kcvcr4v.png

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I know this thread is dead, but since I just downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7 (hated it with a passion), I feel like I should contribute. Plus I like the setups on here.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 210

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

I hated Win 8, but Win 8.1 isn't bad at all. Way better than Windows 8 if you ask me.

----------

here's my main screen. I have three.
http://i.imgur.com/wCcMG80.png

How did you get your system info to get on your desktop?

Anyway, here's mine. Just downloaded Win 8.1 Pro on my Bootcamp partition yesterday, upgraded from Win 7 Pro. Nothing special.

o2T2nez.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.