Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
My own thoughts is that we need not make it complicated. The more we do that, the more intimidating it becomes and that will probably influence participation. Anecdotally, when I was starting out, I was very hesitant to contribute anything, and a strict set of highly enforced rules would have given me serious pause. Just because many of us have been around awhile, we don’t own the place, but we can be welcoming and set the tone.

There’s the law, and then there is the spirit of the law. If the spirit is to encourage people to participate and maybe learn and grow, then what we’ve mostly been doing for years should work just fine—a gentle nudge when someone runs afowl of the “law.” A founding father once said that good governance requires virtuous people. I think the biggest turnoff is when we bicker about technicalities. One upload, your own work, and probably also safe for work (which may be a MR TOS rule anyway). In my years of being here, I can’t say I’ve seen a lot of malice when it comes to contributions. Usually it’s just an innocent “I didn’t know,” and a simple heads-up straightens things out. I think we are well into the weeds when we scrutinize a single contribution out of several hundred that get posted in a month.
You got me at: "we need not make it complicated." Totally.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Diptychs are fine by me as well. I don't think your occasional diptychs are the issue (one just happen to occur close to another issue discussed in this month's POTD)...

Unless I am wrong, I think the historical photo (not taken by the poster) was the actual reason for this thread. Please continue to share your work, whatever technique it may be.

My take, for what it is worth:
  • One post per day
  • Your own work (unless an exception is agreed upon)
  • SFW
I think there were a number of reasons for the this thread. One reason (and primary to me as OP, though my language was not very good) is to ensure we have a place to chat that isn't the POTD thread about what should be in the POTD thread :). The OP will amend the OP. The POTD thread is really a fantastic space. Most people simply present a good old fashioned photo - a bit of light through some optics to some sort of image capture mechanism processed in some way each of us finds reasonable. We can all (and I really, really include me in this) get a bit too focused on what we each think is "the right definition of photography" when in reality, it's all over the map and has been since the 1800s. We need bounds, sure. I just hope to have the largest tent possible, simply because it can be eye-opening and interesting.

* Some sort of interesting optically captured thing you do that's interesting and that you think is good.
* Once per day.
* Don't pass off someone else's work as yours.
* Attribute where you should.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I think there were a number of reasons for the this thread. One reason (and primary to me as OP, though my language was not very good) is to ensure we have a place to chat that isn't the POTD thread about what should be in the POTD thread :). The OP will amend the OP. The POTD thread is really a fantastic space. Most people simply present a good old fashioned photo - a bit of light through some optics to some sort of image capture mechanism processed in some way each of us finds reasonable. We can all (and I really, really include me in this) get a bit too focused on what we each think is "the right definition of photography" when in reality, it's all over the map and has been since the 1800s. We need bounds, sure. I just hope to have the largest tent possible, simply because it can be eye-opening and interesting.

* Some sort of interesting optically captured thing you do that's interesting and that you think is good.
* Once per day.
* Don't pass off someone else's work as yours.
* Attribute where you should.

You are correct, I made an assumption based off me following the POTD daily and applied my own perspective to the matter. Well, the saying is right, at least for me :rolleyes:. Sorry.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
So, leave things as they are, accept that a diptych is a single composite photo, but be wary of breaking copyright when including historical content, which should be properly attributed and in the public domain?
There's probably a Macrumors rule concerning copyright breaking which we should already be adhering to ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
So, leave things as they are, accept that a diptych is a single composite photo, but be wary of breaking copyright when including historical content, which should be properly attributed and in the public domain?
There's probably a Macrumors rule concerning copyright breaking which we should already be adhering to ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh
I think that sums it up @Hughmac !

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I think there are some other rules we should consider.
  1. No pictures of nice looking food. It makes me hungry.
  2. @kenoh can only submit one photo for each camera he has bought.
  3. If you submit a spider image you must @ anyone who has a phobia of spiders.
  4. Fire hydrant shots are to be encouraged.
?
To clarify, I can post another image each time I get another camera yes? can I buy the same one more than once? or is it unique configs only?

Also, fire hydrants. As the UK equivalent is more subtle than they are in the US, does that mean we can post traffic cones as a substitute? or are we restricted to the little yellow squares and the 'H'?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
To clarify, I can post another image each time I get another camera yes? can I buy the same one more than once? or is it unique configs only?

Also, fire hydrants. As the UK equivalent is more subtle than they are in the US, does that mean we can post traffic cones as a substitute? or are we restricted to the little yellow squares and the 'H'?
You have to switch brand each time. You know it makes sense!
Traffic cones are only acceptable if they have been placed on top of a statue.
?

• Haha
Reactions: kenoh and r.harris1

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Please, can we cool it on the cat and dog, personal pet photos for a while? This is beginning to feel like "Pet of the Day" rather than "Photo of the Day!"

There IS another area on MR for photos of this sort, where people can post all the images they want of stuff like snapshots of their cars, their food, their pets.... Check out the MacRumors Community section, where there is a specific subforum called "Picture Gallery" and there is a thread called "Post Pics of Your Pet!"

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Please, can we cool it on the cat and dog, personal pet photos for a while? This is beginning to feel like "Pet of the Day" rather than "Photo of the Day!"

There IS another area on MR for photos of this sort, where people can post all the images they want of stuff like snapshots of their cars, their food, their pets.... Check out the MacRumors Community section, where there is a specific subforum called "Picture Gallery" and there is a thread called "Post Pics of Your Pet!"

The initial post in this thread should then be updated regarding subject matter.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA

For many their pets are a source of happiness and fulfillment, if the subject is not to your liking just scroll on by. If we put rules on pets what is next no flowers or birds. I welcome all photos of all subjects.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I agree that it's time for a revamping of the guidelines and rules for the POTD thread and the Digital Photography subforum as a whole. I suspect that some confusion comes in because there are two areas for photography, one being the Digital Photography subforum and the other being the Picture Gallery subforum in the MR Community section.

Back at the time that the POTD thread was started, there were no iPhones, and the Digital Photography subforum was inhabited by those who shot with dedicated cameras (film was still pretty much the norm but digital cameras were just coming into their own as well. I'm not sure when "The Picture Gallery" was started -- I should take a look -- but at any rate that is the more "social" area of MR in general, and it makes sense to have an area for members to post (usually iPhone or other cell phone) shots of their meals, cars, pets, family members, selfies, casual social activities, etc.

The Digital Photography forum was intended for those who were serious about photography and who wanted to share images and discuss the art and science of photography. We didn't yet have iPhones. We were all just really getting into the new world of digital imaging, which was a heady experience back in those days. Each new digital camera release brought new and exciting features and functionality. Many of us were learning from each other as we transitioned from film to digital. It was during that time frame, back in 2005, that the POTD thread was started with the idea of participants sharing their best images. Since many were traveling with their new gear, too, that was one reason for the request that the person posting an image tell where it was shot. Photographers also like to share EXIF, and at that time it wasn't possible to see that on MR itself. Now we can with MR's Media gallery section and info, so it isn't really necessary any longer to provide the EXIF info within the post with the image itself.

The POTD thread was meant for members to share their best, most interesting and varied images.... Why not try to keep it that way?

• Sad
Reactions: bondr006 and katbel

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I agree that it's time for a revamping of the guidelines and rules for the POTD thread and the Digital Photography subforum as a whole. I suspect that some confusion comes in because there are two areas for photography, one being the Digital Photography subforum and the other being the Picture Gallery subforum in the MR Community section.

Back at the time that the POTD thread was started, there were no iPhones, and the Digital Photography subforum was inhabited by those who shot with dedicated cameras (film was still pretty much the norm but digital cameras were just coming into their own as well. I'm not sure when "The Picture Gallery" was started -- I should take a look -- but at any rate that is the more "social" area of MR in general, and it makes sense to have an area for members to post (usually iPhone or other cell phone) shots of their meals, cars, pets, family members, selfies, casual social activities, etc.

The Digital Photography forum was intended for those who were serious about photography and who wanted to share images and discuss the art and science of photography. We didn't yet have iPhones. We were all just really getting into the new world of digital imaging, which was a heady experience back in those days. Each new digital camera release brought new and exciting features and functionality. Many of us were learning from each other as we transitioned from film to digital. It was during that time frame, back in 2005, that the POTD thread was started with the idea of participants sharing their best images. Since many were traveling with their new gear, too, that was one reason for the request that the person posting an image tell where it was shot. Photographers also like to share EXIF, and at that time it wasn't possible to see that on MR itself. Now we can with MR's Media gallery section and info, so it isn't really necessary any longer to provide the EXIF info within the post with the image itself.

The POTD thread was meant for members to share their best, most interesting and varied images.... Why not try to keep it that way?
Then come up with a clear statement of purpose and specific guidelines and make them part of the opening post. "best, most interesting and varied images" is vague and entirely subjective. The notion of interesting will vary wildly across the spectrum of readers.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond

I would like to point out that by and large, the photo's posted here are our best. I realize now that there are other threads where I can share photo's also, but those are not this community. Over time, we have come to know each other, and some of us feel compelled to socialize and share things about ourselves along with the pictures that tell the story. I do not see the need to be so stringent here that we can't treat this as a community of people we know and have grown fond of. I do not see it as detracting from the main theme of sharing our best photos, but as a way to get to know the people and who they are that are sharing the art that they are proud of and feel good enough about to share it with this community. To me, this is more than just a sterile place to drop a photo and move on. This is a place I look forward to visiting every day, sometimes if for nothing more than to just to see how the community is doing, and what they have shared about themselves. The world out there is not always such a nice place, and this is just part of the peaceful oasis I have happily included in my life. Just my personal feelings. :)

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I would like to point out that by and large, the photo's posted here are our best. I realize now that there are other threads where I can share photo's also, but those are not this community. Over time, we have come to know each other, and some of us feel compelled to socialize and share things about ourselves along with the pictures that tell the story. I do not see the need to be so stringent here that we can't treat this as a community of people we know and have grown fond of. I do not see it as detracting from the main theme of sharing our best photos, but as a way to get to know the people and who they are that are sharing the art that they are proud of and feel good enough about to share it with this community. To me, this is more than just a sterile place to drop a photo and move on. This is a place I look forward to visiting every day, sometimes if for nothing more than to just to see how the community is doing, and what they have shared about themselves. The world out there is not always such a nice place, and this is just part of the peaceful oasis I have happily included in my life. Just my personal feelings. :)
Very well said

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Then come up with a clear statement of purpose and specific guidelines and make them part of the opening post. "best, most interesting and varied images" is vague and entirely subjective. The notion of interesting will vary wildly across the spectrum of readers.

It's not up to me. Any changing/adjusting of the guidelines, policies and rules of the Digital Photography forum, the POTD or for that matter any area on MR must be handled in collaboration with the admins and mods team, as they are the ones who develop and/or support whatever guidelines and rules are implemented, not one or two individual members/participants. The last time they made changes has been quite a while ago and one of the members who was key in working with them on developing the guidelines is no longer participating in the Digital Photography forum. The originator of the POTD, iGary, has long since been gone from MR.

• Sad
Reactions: bondr006

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I’d like people to post the images they like of the subjects that they enjoy or love. As far as pets, people love their animal companions and for me, people posting helps me know another person and helps build community, especially when people feel empowered and welcome to post here. I’ve gotten hung up on what constitutes a subject in the past and it has chased away some very interesting people. I regret that immensely. Community is so important (to me). All comers, all cameras, all skill levels, all subjects - one post per day :).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It's not up to me. Any changing/adjusting of the guidelines, policies and rules of the Digital Photography forum, the POTD or for that matter any area on MR must be handled in collaboration with the admins and mods team, as they are the ones who develop and/or support whatever guidelines and rules are implemented, not one or two individual members/participants. The last time they made changes has been quite a while ago and one of the members who was key in working with them on developing the guidelines is no longer participating in the Digital Photography forum. The originator of the POTD, iGary, has long since been gone from MR.

Have you tried reaching out to them on this, then?

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
OMG -

I saw the anti- posting statement of specific images (SFW of course) because there is another forum or someone got tired of seeing them.

Will there be a forum consensus on this, or will it be dictated?

Happy 2023 BTW.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and bevsb2

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Shout it @bondr006

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.