Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Maybe the best time to get a bargain Powerbook....

Im just curious if the market is still there for the PowerBooks

They were arguably one of the best laptops ever made?

Am I the only one who is looking to buy one??

There is still a market for Powerbooks, especially the 12" version as Apple has not really created a suitable replacement (which would be either a 12" or 13" Macbook Pro). I know Apple wanted existing 12" PB users to upgrade to either the 13" Macbook or 15" Macbook Pro, but some of us simply have not. So the market still exists. I often read comments here on the forum that someone’s Powerbook has just died and they are on the lookout to buy another one, not a new intel machine. This reveals a lot in itself about how people feel about the Powerbook series.

Plus, the more recent Powerbooks run Tiger and the latest Leopard very well. Obviously, not as fast as the intel machines, but good enough for basic to semi-professional work.

Also, the 4-to-5-year-old Powerbook case designs are basically the same as the current Macbook Pro designs, so I think the value of Powerbooks have kept very well. The aluminium design is a classic and that is why Apple has been able to use this design for so many years. I still marvel at my Powerbook -- the detail and build-quality is amazing. The feel of typing on the wonderful keyboard (personally, I think it is better to use than the current Apple keyboard designs); the button on the battery that lights up to show how much charge you have left; the sleep mode where the light glows like it is breathing. And this was created over 4-years-ago!

The Powerbook Series will drastically lose their value once the Macbook Pro range gets a redesign. This could be in the next few weeks or even months.

Which, is a valuable point really. Maybe if you wait to see if the Macbook Pro series is released with a new redesign, then the value of the old Powerbook/Macbook Pro series will drop down in value and you will see a lot more put onto the market for sale. This could be the optimum time for you to get a bargain.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Ahh tony your speaking my language haha!

That was my logic and the reason I am looking for a laptop now. Hopefully apple will release the new update to their macbook pro soon so the resale of the powerbooks will go down some as well.

That should happen at least right?

Anyone want to make some predictions as far as when it will come out and/or guess how much my beloved powerbook will be when this other macbook pro comes out?

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
12"

I use my 12" PowerBook all the time, it's the only thing i've got and it's great. I don't find the non backlit keyboard a problem either, i put the light on!

If you want something to carry around the house with you, then the 12" is the one.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
ok thanks for your input...

I do like the 12" an awful lot but the backlit thing is just toooo sweet for me not to have :D

Anyone on the MBP's being updated in the coming weeks?

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Anyone on the MBP's being updated in the coming weeks?

My guess would be within the next 3 weeks. Now that Leopard has been updated, it would be ideal for them to release the new MBP soon.

There is apparently an event towards the end of this month that would most likely be iPhone/SDK related (since Steve Jobs promised SDK at the end of Feburary at MW2008), but could also potentially announce the updated Macbook Pros with new Penryn chips. Maybe even a redesigned MBP if released at an event.

If the new MBP is just released straight to the store, then most likely it will be a basic chip upgrade with other minor additions. Nothing too special to shout out about.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
What about mulit-touch? If/when that makes its way to other :apple: laptops, that is more of a major upgrade so that would make the older stuff go down in value...right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.