Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Last year I pre-ordered at Target of all places.
No line -- just walked into the electronics dept and talked to the AT&T rep.
Then on release day they called me at my house to tell me it was there and I just walked in and bought it.
Again, no line.
Easiest iPhone purchase I ever had.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Ha, I did that last year (new products coming out are fun to watch even if you aren't getting them just for all the drama :) ). But that's not me breaking any chain cause I only buy when my contract is out.

But, this time around I may wait and see what reviews say, especially if nothing really grabs my attention (and they don't address how this phone will have the same battery life while not having an appreciably bigger battery but having LTE and a bigger screen. I mean if they come up iwth a good explanation why it won't need as much battery or won't need more battery than a 4 I might take the plunge and get it when it comes out, but we'll see. I want to see the announcement first and see what it officially has and their official expected battery life).
After years of pre-ordering the latest PowerBooks, then MacBook Pro's and _never_ having really big issues (the little ones are to be expected of a new product) I had a huge amount of trust in Apple.

So when the iPhone was first announced, I didn't hesitate. I pre-ordered one, was very happy and then began to follow my same tradition of upgrading to the latest model each year.

Then the bottom fell out...
I pre-ordered an iPhone 4, upon setting it up I was experiencing a lot of dropped calls and other reception related problems with the phone. The uninitiated AT&T haters, immediately blamed the network, but after twelve years and many other smartphones, BlackBerry's and feature phones (I'm a serious mobile communications and computing enthusiast) I had never had such problems. So I knew in no uncertain terms it was not the network.

Not only that, at the time I was carrying a work issued BlackBerry that would make and hold crystal clear calls in the same spot my iPhone 4 would barely connect.

Fast forward to Antennagate, a problem that many of the hard core "Apple can do no wrong" people denied ever happened.

Yet in the Apple store by my house, the AT&T signal is very strong. When I brought in my iPhone 4, and the iPhone 3GS I still had on my other line, and gave them a demonstration, that revealed the truth. Antennagate was real and I proved it.

My 3GS would connect and make a call that was crystal clear. Then when attempting the same thing with the 4, the call barely connected, the person on the other end got static, and it was impossible to hold a conversation.

So in typical Apple fashion (they've got great customer service) they gave me a new iPhone 4. It was only marginally better, but after trying a 3rd, (which I believe they only did because I spend so much money with them and know most of the managers) that 3rd phone was the same. What a rough year that was, until the iPhone 4S came out with a greatly improved antenna, which to this day is very good.

Most of this past year while I have enjoyed the iPhone 4S, the biggest drawback was the fact it only has a 3.5" display. If that's all you have, you simply don't know any better.

Being the phone enthusiast I am, I've had the distinct pleasure of having several Galaxy S, S2, and now S3 models with full size 4.65, to 4.8" displays that I was using on my other line, concurrently along with my iPhone 4S. The difference is very dramatic. It's also a true relief to have more room to type and work in a large window when composing or responding to emails while holding the phone in the landscape view. A position I do a lot of work in.

So needless to say, without an increase in this dimension on the new upcoming iPhone, it's of little use to me. Also having lost trust in Apple when it comes to new products and whether they put in enough testing. I've taken a different view of the company.

So I will pass, save a few hundred bucks which I will spend on other new Androids as they are released throughout the year, and hope that Apple can bring themselves to see the light, that it's time they catch up.

Lick

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
Right idea, wrong execution: Virgin uses Sprint's network, which is CDMA and has no SIM cards. I would look into Straight Talk instead, which uses AT&T's network: http://www.straighttalk.com

Yea I just figured out that unlike GSM I can't just take an unlocked iPhone that's configured for CDMA and stick any CDMA sim card in it. Also wasn't aware Straight Talk was GSM until an hour ago. So I guess Straight Talk is the only move for someone who hates commitment and outrageous monthly fees but wants a iPhone 5. (Unless they surprise us and Virgin / Cricket get it at launch.)

It does sound kind of stupid paying $750 for an unlocked LTE phone to go stick it on an MVNO with nothing buy 3G. But i don't think there's a lick of 4G coverage where I am anyhow, PLUS I'll have the last laugh when I pay $45 a month and my battery lasts forever with 4G turned off.

But if the iPhone were to launch on Virgin...would it still be better to get the Unlocked version and use it on ST since it will be more versatile and valuable then one stuck on Virgin?

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Unfortunately if you have AT&T you WILL get throttled after 5gb of use of LTE and 3GB of use for 3G. I found this out this week and I've had the unlimited plan since the first iPhone.:(

I have Verizon, but that is good to know for a few friends of mine, thanks.

matthewdlyons

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Am I the only one that is a little underwhelmed by the supposedly leaked images? If the design holds up, count me disappointed. I was/am hoping that Apple would pick up on the design cues from the iPad and new MacBook Pros with the new iPhone -- tapered body, curved or smooth edges. I was/am hoping for something a little sleeker. Don't get me wrong the iPhone 4/4S body is a great piece of hardware, but it's just getting a little long in the tooth visually. I guess we'll see if all of these spy photos are good ole' misdirection, and the new iPhone will be something more elegant than an elongated 4/4S. (crossing fingers)

Last edited:

strik

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
Canada
Ok. Any particular store locations you recommend? I should be in Toronto, Ottawa or Waterloo. I have never lined up at the stores for a launch. Over the years I have seen pics of ridiculously long lines for iPhone launches. Do I have a reasonable chance of getting through by lining up on launch day?

I've always had way better success getting one at an actual Rogers Wireless Store. iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s I all got at Rogers Wireless in Waterloo... lined up 3 hours early, and got one a couple minutes after opening. I'm always doing a hardware upgrade with them pretty much, so that makes it easier too.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
I've always had way better success getting one at an actual Rogers Wireless Store. iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s I all got at Rogers Wireless in Waterloo... lined up 3 hours early, and got one a couple minutes after opening. I'm always doing a hardware upgrade with them pretty much, so that makes it easier too.

Hi,
I need one that is unlocked. I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to get an unlocked one via Rogers Wireless Store?

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Got a few questions for anyone from the UK.

I usually buy the phone outright and go PAYG, which is usually the only option in preordering from Apples website. How do people go about preordering when they are going on contract (ie subsidised phone with 24 month contract)??

Is it best to go straight to the operator's high street store on the day, or do they usually have some sort of preorder system?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.