Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello guys,

for some reason this change in iOS 10 is driving me crazy. In the past I would get a message and the screen would lit up and if i noticed it i would put my finger to unlock it and it would open the iphone.
NOW, there is an extra step which seems very unintuitive and I don't understand why Apple implemented it. Why do you then have to PRESS the home button to get where I used to get before without pressing the button? What is Apple thinking here?

If I do unlock the phone but then I'm still on the 'lock' screen then what advantage do I really get? The reason I wanna unlock the phone is because i wanna use it and therefore I wanna go straight to my HOME.

Why is there the extra step of pressing it now? Anyone knows or thinks of anything please? It just irritates the hell out of me :D

Another thing that bothers me is that when I open an app from a folder and later I press home to actually go 'home' the thing goes straight back to the folder rather than home so I have to pres home again to actually get home.

How many people find these things annoying?

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
To stop people missing notifications on lock screen.
[doublepost=1468164872][/doublepost]Also it's hardly any effort to press home button twice when closing to a folder...

Reactions: cmeisenzahl

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hello guys,

for some reason this change in iOS 10 is driving me crazy. In the past I would get a message and the screen would lit up and if i noticed it i would put my finger to unlock it and it would open the iphone.
NOW, there is an extra step which seems very unintuitive and I don't understand why Apple implemented it. Why do you then have to PRESS the home button to get where I used to get before without pressing the button? What is Apple thinking here?

If I do unlock the phone but then I'm still on the 'lock' screen then what advantage do I really get? The reason I wanna unlock the phone is because i wanna use it and therefore I wanna go straight to my HOME.

Why is there the extra step of pressing it now? Anyone knows or thinks of anything please? It just irritates the hell out of me :D

Another thing that bothers me is that when I open an app from a folder and later I press home to actually go 'home' the thing goes straight back to the folder rather than home so I have to pres home again to actually get home.

How many people find these things annoying?

Many users push the home button to wake up the phone to see if there are any notifications on the lock screen. TouchID is so fast on the iPhone 6S that by the time you push the home button it takes you straight to the home page and you don't even see the lock screen. This is why Apple added this feature.

Pressing the home button from an app that was launched from a folder will take you to the folder. It's always been like this.

iOS 10 features more advanced lock screen interactions. Go look it up on Apple.com

Reactions: marvz and Bladery

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
But what is the point? If you see notification you still probably need to address them (most of the time) so putting extra press for just this? Seems unintuitive

Pressing the home button from an app that was launched from a folder will take you to the folder. It's always been like this.
Hmm, maybe its the animation that made me think its new. :)

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
But what is the point? If you see notification you still probably need to address them (most of the time) so putting extra press for just this? Seems unintuitive

No... there's many notifications I glance at but I don't need to respond to. Or I can not be bothered to reply...

My fingers on the button anyway so applying a tiny bit of pressure isn't hard, people are just getting lazy.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

yeah, the animation is definitely different.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I've submitted feedback to Apple as I really don't like this new change. Its counter intuitive and it has nothing to do with being lazy.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I don't like this feature too. I never used the notification center and when I wanted to see the time I pushed the power button or used a different finger that was not connected to Touch ID.

Now with "Raise to Wake" it's even easier to prevent missing the lock screen and I think that's enough if the finger print reader is too fast in the 6s (Plus).

All older phones don't have "Raise to Wake" and I never missed the look screen that easy by resting my finger on the home button with my iPhone 6.

In "Accessibility -> Home Button" there is now a "Rest Finger to Unlock" toggle. It seems not to work yet, but I think it will bring back the old way to unlock directly with Touch ID.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
In "Accessibility -> Home Button" there is now a "Rest Finger to Unlock" toggle. It seems not to work yet, but I think it will bring back the old way to unlock directly with Touch ID.

Interesting. I don't mind the new functionality because pressing the home button a second time takes almost no effort, and I have actually found that Touch ID on my 6+ is fast enough that I occasionally miss notifications.

That being said, I just enabled "Rest Finger to Unlock" and it seems to have returned the old functionality to my 6+.

Reactions: marvz

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
[doublepost=1468164872][/doublepost]Also it's hardly any effort to press home button twice when closing to a folder...
Couple of scenarios:
If the screen is off and you wake with a press of the home button it still takes you to the home screen and bypasses the notifications.

If you use raise to wake you don't need to press the home button to wake the screen so the press of the home button seems superfluous.

Reactions: doctorwhofan98

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
If the screen is off and you wake with a press of the home button it still takes you to the home screen and bypasses the notifications.

Which is what it does in iOS 10

If you use raise to wake you don't need to press the home button to wake the screen so the press of the home button seems superfluous.

It's not superfluous because when you raise to wake there are now two things you can do. Unlock in order to respond to secure notifications (by resting on touch id) or go to home screen by pressing home and leaving your finger on touchid id. How is this confusing people? A toddler could wrap their head around this.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010

Didn't know about this feature and so wanted to find out until I've learnt that its not available on iPhone 6 :(

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Which is what it does in iOS 10

It's not superfluous because when you raise to wake there are now two things you can do. Unlock in order to respond to secure notifications (by resting on touch id) or go to home screen by pressing home and leaving your finger on touchid id. How is this confusing people? A toddler could wrap their head around this.

Chill out. It's just going to take some time for us lesser mortals to adjust to the fact that when the screen is on, you can't just rest your finger to take you to the home screen.

Reactions: mpavilion and azing

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Been using iOS 10 on my iPad Mini 2 since Beta 1. I thought I might get use to "Press 'home button' to open," by now, but nope. Still quite annoying and feels like a downgrade.

The cynic is me says it's a way to get people to upgrade to Touch ID models w/o totally obsoleting "older" iPads. The realist in me says Tim Cook just wanted to show the world who's in charge of Apple so had this quintessential Jobs feature removed. Of course Tim Cook is a legend in his own mind and he doesn't realize that the "Swipe to Open" was the one iOS feature that didn't need an overhaul.

I have not had the opportunity to try out iOS 10 on "Touch ID" iPads as I don't install betas on "work" devices, but I assume it has a better feel with those. Apple should have left Swipe to Touch on on the non-Touch ID models, or at least given users an option, kind of like how they "compromised" on the Rotation hard switch following the protests when Apple changed it to a Mute switch.

Reactions: Costee

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I've submitted feedback to Apple as I really don't like this new change. Its counter intuitive and it has nothing to do with being lazy.
No, this is how is always should have been. The fact that you don't "get it" doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. This is a welcome improvement.
[doublepost=1468242768][/doublepost]
. I thought I might get use to "Press 'home button' to open," by now, but nope. Still quite annoying and feels like a downgrade.
Nope, it isn't, and quit honestly any opinion to this effect is really dumb.

Reactions: bbfc and lagwagon

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
I don't have a problem with it being there as an option as long as there is a way to revert to the previous method of unlocking.

Reactions: Appleaker

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I find the double-press that's necessary to start using the phone irritating. A typical sequence goes like this: I pick up the phone, the screen comes on (nice). I press the home button with my thumb, keeping the thumb on it. In iOS 9 this would have rendered the phone ready to use. With the 10beta I find myself looking at the pin pad instead, as if my fingerprint didn't register properly. So I lift my thumb and rest it on the sensor again – nothing happens. Then of course I realise that the padlock icon on the status bar is gone and the phone is already unlocked. I just have to press again to start using it.

I'm sure my confusion will subside with use, but the fact remains that I now have to press twice before I can use the phone. This rankles me, I cannot view this as an improvement. FWIW, I don't care for messages displayed on the lock screen that might get "lost", since I would have already seen those on my watch ;)

Reactions: Borin

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I find the double-press that's necessary to start using the phone irritating. A typical sequence goes like this: I pick up the phone, the screen comes on (nice). I press the home button with my thumb, keeping the thumb on it. In iOS 9 this would have rendered the phone ready to use. With the 10beta I find myself looking at the pin pad instead, as if my fingerprint didn't register properly. So I lift my thumb and rest it on the sensor again – nothing happens. Then of course I realise that the padlock icon on the status bar is gone and the phone is already unlocked. I just have to press again to start using it.

I'm sure my confusion will subside with use, but the fact remains that I now have to press twice before I can use the phone. This rankles me, I cannot view this as an improvement. FWIW, I don't care for messages displayed on the lock screen that might get "lost", since I would have already seen those on my watch ;)

If the pin pad is displayed then your finger never registered properly. You should never see the pin pad and one press and hold for touch id is all that should be necessary after raise to wake.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
If the pin pad is displayed then your finger never registered properly.

You'd think so, but no, the fingerprint actually worked. The phone is unlocked but still shows me the pin pad. I can press the home button with an unregistered finger (or a pen) at this stage to get into the phone.

You should never see the pin pad and one press and hold for touch id is all that should be necessary after raise to wake.

Press and hold gets me into that state, as described above. I just found out that if I lift the phone to wake it and hold, then press, it unlocks with a single press. However, I have to pay attention, gotta hold until the unlock message appears, then press. If I try to get into the phone while the screen is off (like when it's lying on the table), I always have to press twice, no matter what.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You'd think so, but no, the fingerprint actually worked. The phone is unlocked but still shows me the pin pad. I can press the home button with an unregistered finger (or a pen) at this stage to get into the phone.

Press and hold gets me into that state, as described above. I just found out that if I lift the phone to wake it and hold, then press, it unlocks with a single press. However, I have to pay attention, gotta hold until the unlock message appears, then press. If I try to get into the phone while the screen is off (like when it's lying on the table), I always have to press twice, no matter what.

Seems like you have a problem on your end. I can press and hold at any point during a raise to wake sequence and it goes straight to springboard. You absolutely, 100% should not be seeing a pin pad using touch id so there's definitely an issue.

Reactions: skinned66
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.