Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
The "rest finger to unlock" doesn't work for me so lets hope next beta will tweak it and I will have the option to revert back to what it was before as this new system is very irritating regardless of how others might see it. For notifications I have swipe down menu so don't need my main screen locked for the before i press it one more time. Usually the reason I pick up my phone is to actually use it and not glance at the notifications hence the extra step doesn't work for me. Maybe those with iPhone 6S have different needs as the touchID is meant to be mega fast but on iPhone 6 this is very frustrating change.
So I'm all for options. If we can have both then we will all be happy, right? :)

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
The "rest finger to unlock" doesn't work for me so lets hope next beta will tweak it and I will have the option to revert back to what it was before as this new system is very irritating regardless of how others might see it. For notifications I have swipe down menu so don't need my main screen locked for the before i press it one more time. Usually the reason I pick up my phone is to actually use it and not glance at the notifications hence the extra step doesn't work for me. Maybe those with iPhone 6S have different needs as the touchID is meant to be mega fast but on iPhone 6 this is very frustrating change.
So I'm all for options. If we can have both then we will all be happy, right? :)

If all you want to do is unlock your phone and not look at notifications then you do it the same way as always. Press home and wait for touchid to be registered. I must have typed this over 20 times now.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
If all you want to do is unlock your phone and not look at notifications then you do it the same way as always.

I wouldn't have bothered to post anything if that was the case.

I think it's a timing issue. If I delay the pressing a little bit after putting my finger on the button I can get straight in – but only on a woken up (screen on) phone. If the screen is off the old single-press method is definitely gone, no matter the timing.

Press home and wait for touchid to be registered.

It's actually the other way around now. Wait for TouchID to be registered, then press home.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I wouldn't have bothered to post anything if that was the case.

I think it's a timing issue. If I delay the pressing a little bit after putting my finger on the button I can get straight in – but only on a woken up (screen on) phone. If the screen is off the old single-press method is definitely gone, no matter the timing.

Then you definitely have a local issue. It works as intended ed for many. Some troubleshooting is in order.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
I'm using the public beta BTW (version 14A5297c), maybe it's different from the developer betas?

I'm using the public beta and mine does the same as Freenician's. Sounds like you have something wonky in your phone or OS.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'm using the public beta BTW (version 14A5297c), maybe it's different from the developer betas?

It's the same build number so it should act the same. If I were you I'd try registering fingers and resetting the phone.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Yes, I will have to explore.

But just to be sure: on a locked, screen off phone, lying on the table, when I press and hold home the screen comes on, a message "Unlocked" briefly appears on the status bar and "Press home to open" with two dots and a tiny camera icon is displayed at the bottom. This is not what you're getting?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, I will have to explore.

But just to be sure: on a locked, screen off phone, lying on the table, when I press and hold home the screen comes on, a message "Unlocked" briefly appears on the status bar and "Press home to open" with two dots and a tiny camera icon is displayed at the bottom. This is not what you're getting?

Firstly, when you say "hold" do you mean a short press of the button then rest the finger on the there? If you actually mean hold then Siri would activate. Short press and rest finger.

What happens when I do that is the lock screen very briefly appears, says "unlocked" at the top then the home screen appears. It's the same workflow (though the appearance of "unlocked" is new and appears to be confusing people) as any other version of iOS. Sometimes touch id operates fast enough that I barely see the lock screen at all.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Nope, it isn't, and quit honestly any opinion to this effect is really dumb.

Well maybe for you, but it's not natural on an non-Touch ID device, certainly not as flowing as the swipe. Jobs hated buttons for this reason.

And whether you think my opinion is dumb, is, well, your opinion, which, hey maybe I think is dumb. That is the thing about opinions. I'm not a tech noob who can't figure out Button A from Button B. But I have noticed that Tim Cook era products are more complicated than Steve Jobs era ones. The push home button to unlock is overly complicated just like the use of the two buttons on Watch OS 1 and 2 -- which is why Apple is finally modifying them in Watch 3.

My point here is that a lot of non-tech people who came to Apple because of its simplicity are not going to be happy with this change, especially when it doesn't make the use easier and seems to be a change for change sake. As I said, perhaps it's a different feel with Touch ID devices, but non-Touch ID it's terrible.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
. The push home button to unlock is overly complicated just like the use of the two buttons on Watch OS 1 and 2 -- which is why Apple is finally modifying them in Watch 3.

The use of both buttons is now more likely than ever. The fairly useless friends button now shows the dock, which is key to watchOS 3. Don't think you really thought that through

racersimage

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
If all you want to do is unlock your phone and not look at notifications then you do it the same way as always. Press home and wait for touchid to be registered. I must have typed this over 20 times now.

I think the problem is that some of us learned a new way to use the TouchID without using the home button to get to the springboard. So for us it's not the same way as always. On mine and my wife's iPhones, if we were to get a notification and the screen lit up, we could simply rest our finger on the TouchID to be taken straight to the springboard. This could very well save the home button. I'm one the the few that have had to have the front screen replaced due to a faulty home button. I know there's only like 3-4 people on this board that has had a home button break and had used this feature up until iOS 10, but for us 3 or 4, it's important.

I've also made the point, that I can raise my phone to wake it now and if I want to interact with my notification, I can do so with the self control to not rest my finger on the TouchID unless I want the phone to be unlocked and taken to the springboard, but Apple apparently thinks that many others need to have to press the home button I guess. This is backwards from the direction that many other OEM's are going in with adding a touch sensor to their phones to unlock it. I take solace in the fact that Apple wants to be special and different though and that we have the best phone available.

I also take solace to the fact that many people never knew or never actually had the feature that allowed you to simply rest your finger on the home button to be instantly unlocked and taken to the springboard upon receipt of a notification but if you did have the feature, and had gotten used to it since the iPhone 5S (oh, 2-3 years or so), then maybe you'd understand.

Isn't this a message board by the way? I manage a forum of my own so I understand that everyone's viewpoint may not be the same, but that doesn't mean that they're wrong.

Reactions: Richardgm

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I think the problem is that some of us learned a new way to use the TouchID without using the home button to get to the springboard. So for us it's not the same way as always. On mine and my wife's iPhones, if we were to get a notification and the screen lit up, we could simply rest our finger on the TouchID to be taken straight to the springboard. This could very well save the home button. I'm one the the few that have had to have the front screen replaced due to a faulty home button. I know there's only like 3-4 people on this board that has had a home button break and had used this feature up until iOS 10, but for us 3 or 4, it's important.

I've also made the point, that I can raise my phone to wake it now and if I want to interact with my notification, I can do so with the self control to not rest my finger on the TouchID unless I want the phone to be unlocked and taken to the springboard, but Apple apparently thinks that many others need to have to press the home button I guess. This is backwards from the direction that many other OEM's are going in with adding a touch sensor to their phones to unlock it. I take solace in the fact that Apple wants to be special and different though and that we have the best phone available.

I also take solace to the fact that many people never knew or never actually had the feature that allowed you to simply rest your finger on the home button to be instantly unlocked an taken to the springboard upon receipt of a notification but if you did have the feature, and had gotten used to it since the iPhone 5S (oh, 2-3 years or so), then maybe you'd understand.

OK, actually I missed that one use case, the part where your phone had already lit up with a notification. My bad. Now in that one specific use case you must trouble yourself to exert a gram of pressure for a fraction of a second, over a millimetre, in order to make a distinction between the new secure lock screen actions and wanting to go to the home screen. Angry emails to Tim Cook all round

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Firstly, when you say "hold" do you mean a short press of the button then rest the finger on the there? If you actually mean hold then Siri would activate. Short press and rest finger.

What happens when I do that is the lock screen very briefly appears, says "unlocked" at the top then the home screen appears. It's the same workflow (though the appearance of "unlocked" is new and appears to be confusing people) as any other version of iOS. Sometimes touch id operates fast enough that I barely see the lock screen at all.

Yes, I mean rest, not keep pressed.

If you don't get the "Press home to open" message at the bottom, and you don't have to press home again in order to get to the home screen then my phone does behave differently from yours.

In that case I wonder, in which way is your iOS 10beta phone different from iOS 9, with regard to unlocking?

racersimage

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
OK, actually I missed that one use case, the part where your phone had already lit up with a notification. My bad. Now in that one specific use case you must trouble yourself to exert a gram of pressure for a fraction of a second, over a millimetre. Angry emails to Tim Cook all round

I haven't written an angry email at all. Why would I? If I want to have a phone that doesn't force you to press a button to unlock it, I can just buy one. Like I said, many other OEM's are going in that direction. I suppose that Apple saw this and wanted to set a new trend for everyone to copy. It would be nice to have the option after getting used to it in the last 2-3 years. Plus, the iOS 9 way was just so fast and convenient! Why would we want that though when we could have widgets like Android instead?!

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, I mean rest, not keep pressed.

If you don't get the "Press home to open" message at the bottom, and you don't have press home again in order to get to the home screen then my phone does behave differently from yours.

In that case I wonder, in which way is your iOS 10beta phone different from iOS 9, with regard to unlocking?

If I wake the phone by using raise to wake, the power button, or the home button without resting my finger on it immediately then I am in a mode in which I'm interacting with the lock screen. Resting my finger on touch at that point just unlocks secure functionality on the lock screen. To go home from there I would press. And rest again.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
On mine and my wife's iPhones, if we were to get a notification and the screen lit up, we could simply rest our finger on the TouchID to be taken straight to the springboard.

Yes, I remember that, too. If the screen was lit simply touching the home button would unlock it.

racersimage

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
If I wake the phone by using raise to wake, the power button, or the home button without resting my finger on it immediately then I am in a mode in which I'm interacting with the lock screen. Resting my finger on touch at that point just unlocks secure functionality on the lock screen. To go home from there I would press. And rest again.

I don't know how secure it is though, I can reply directly to messages without unlocking the phone at all. Something still isn't right.
[doublepost=1468249917][/doublepost]
Yes, I remember that, too. If the screen was lit simply touching the home button would unlock it.

And it was so fast too wasn't it? But some people want slow, and to be able to play with their widgets.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I haven't written an angry email at all. Why would I? If I want to have a phone that doesn't force you to press a button to unlock it, I can just buy one. Like I said, many other OEM's are going in that direction. I suppose that Apple saw this and wanted to set a new trend for everyone to copy. It would be nice to have the option after getting used to it in the last 2-3 years. Plus, the iOS 9 way was just so fast and convenient! Why would we want that though when we could have widgets like Android instead?!

Under the circumstances you describe resting your finger now does something else (authenticate secure actions on the lock screen). Since the phone has no ability to discern what you want to do the action can only mean one thing.
[doublepost=1468250017][/doublepost]
I don't know how secure it is though, I can reply directly to messages without unlocking the phone at all. Something still isn't right.
[doublepost=1468249917][/doublepost]

And it was so fast too wasn't it? But some people want slow, and to be able to play with their widgets.

Indeed. You were able to reply to messages on the lock screen in previous versions too. I'd like to see that (perhaps optionally) secured by the new functionality too.

Reactions: racersimage

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia

I don't have to "rest again", my phone is already unlocked after the initial touch. From here I can press the home button with any implement I like.

But apart from that, what you're saying now sounds like you do have to do the double press as I described. One press to wake the phone, TouchID to unlock it, a second home button press to get to the home screen. Earlier you said that if you press (once) and rest the finger on the sensor your devices go straight to the home screen (like in iOS 9).

Somebody needs to make a video ;)

Oh, and can we please get the thread title fixed?
[doublepost=1468250717][/doublepost]

You can turn this off in Settings, the "Reply with Message" toggle under Allow Access When Locked.
EDIT: come to think of it, this may instead refer to the way of rejecting phone calls with a message...

Last edited:

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I don't have to "rest again", my phone is already unlocked after the initial touch. From here I can press the home button with any implement I like.

But apart from that, what you're saying now sounds like you do have to do the double press as I described. One press to wake the phone, TouchID to unlock it, a second home button press to get to the home screen. Earlier you said that if you press (once) and rest the finger on the sensor your devices go straight to the home screen (like in iOS 9).

Somebody needs to make a video ;)

Oh, and can we please get the thread title fixed?

No! What the hell is wrong with you? From a blank screen if you just press and rest it unlocks to the home screen. IF you wake it up in one of the three ways I described, indicating you are using the lock screen, then you must press and wait long enough for touch id to operate - how long that takes will depend on what implementation of touch id you have so it may be indistinguishable from the button press or you may have to wait a little longer. It's simply not possible to explain this any more clearly. If you can't wrap your head around this there is nothing I can do about it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The use of both buttons is now more likely than ever. The fairly useless friends button now shows the dock, which is key to watchOS 3. Don't think you really thought that through

Not sure I understand what you are saying vis a vis my quote you pulled out and commented on. My point was that the use of the buttons in Watch OS 1 and 2 was confusing, something Apple seems to have fixed in Watch OS 3. Sounds like you agree with that premise but I'm not 100% sure.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
No! What the hell is wrong with you? From a blank screen if you just press and rest it unlocks to the home screen. IF you wake it up in one of the three ways I described, indicating you are using the lock screen, then you must press and wait long enough for touch id to operate - how long that takes will depend on what implementation of touch id you have so it may be indistinguishable from the button press or you may have to wait a little longer. It's simply not possible to explain this any more clearly. If you can't wrap your head around this there is nothing I can do about it.

Calm down, no need to get worked up over this. I'm just trying to consolidate your conflicting descriptions of what you see happening, before I assume that there is something wrong with my phone and go on a wild goose chase.

On one hand you say a single home button press and rest gets you from a locked, blank screen device straight to the home screen. This is contrary to my own experience with iOS 10beta (but exactly how it was in iOS 9).

On the other hand you say that if you unlock the device using one of three methods (of which pressing the home button is one) it wakes up the device in a locked state from which it transitions to unlocked of you rest your finger on the sensor for a little while. From this unlocked state (from where you could do secure interactions with widgets) you get to the home screen by pressing the home button again. This is in line with my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.