Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greene1123

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2013
They didn't get any pricing for Mac Pros though, and we're all pretty sure something's going on with those.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
i assume wifi ac will only work if the router transmits 802.11.ac? prob be a while before everything gets upgraded

That is correct. See also my other posts in reply to other forum members on that subject.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16624770#post16624770

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16624939&posted=1#post16624939

As they are gradually introducing these newer 802.11.ac chips across their entire computer line-up, APPLE is also expected to replace their entire line-up of Airport devices with this newer tech anytime now. But there are already quite a few ac routers available from other manufacturers as well, such as NETGEAR, D-LINK, CISCO, BELKIN, ASUS, BUFFALO, EDIMAX to name a handful, so either way, we'll have to shell out. Sigh.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
There's already a 13" retina device that's essentially an Air.

It's the Pro. :|

I know that. And I want to buy the 13" rMBP with Haswell. However, if Apple doesn't release it during WWDC, and releases a retina MBA instead, I may well buy it. But I think it's unlikely to happen.

----------

Haswell provides a much better standby time, but not full-power-working time

If the new models come with IGZO display, battery life can be much longer'

I know that. But if Apple doesn't release the rMBP during WWDC, I cannot buy it for the prices Apple charges in the US. I'll only be able to buy it for double the price, as I'll be back in Brazil (the cheapest 13" rMBP costs US$ 3,000 here). Is it worth paying twice the price to get the Haswell processor and possibly an IGZO display?

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
For what it's worth I work for a pretty reputable UK retailer and our MBA stocks have dried up pretty much. We've only got the 11" base instock online, all others out of stock online and in stores and we're not ordering any more of the current Air. Not had any on order for weeks now.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
How about looking here and seeing all the "Sold out" signs?

http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/#Current_Generation

The standard models are all available everywhere. Only the BTO models are sold out in some stores. There are still plenty of rMBPs available.

I should guess it's not coming, then?

I hope there are additional part numbers leaks... otherwise I'll have to wait until Monday...

----------

For what it's worth I work for a pretty reputable UK retailer and our MBA stocks have dried up pretty much. We've only got the 11" base instock online, all others out of stock online and in stores and we're not ordering any more of the current Air. Not had any on order for weeks now.

What about the rMBP?

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
An 11" Retina Air would be perfect for me.

It might happen, but I doubt it now.

I too would love an 11 inch retina, but it's not going to happen this time around. There would have been more rumors suggesting it. What would be nice would be a 1080p full HD screen. A happy medium on the way to retina.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I too would love an 11 inch retina, but it's not going to happen this time around. There would have been more rumors suggesting it. What would be nice would be a 1080p full HD screen. A happy medium on the way to retina.

You're probably right. 1080p is OK, I actually prefer 16:10 ratio on my computers, but you're on the right track (I think the 11" air is 16:9 native, so they might keep that ratio).

I imagine they'll end up merging the MBA and MBP lines in the future, and go all retina. That may be a year or more off though. I can wait until then - a single macbook line, 11", 13" and 15", all retina.

:bliss:

:cool:

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
As soon as updated Retinas come out, the old ones will get cheaper.
Another tip would be to take a look on ebay: There are a lot of people who bought the Retina MacBook Pro but later realized they actually can not afford them and therefore need to sell them quickly.

On apple's site? Or just from other sellers? (Never bought a mac, so...)

They better bump the specs on the non-rMBP or I'm going to throw a temper tantrum.

I wish, but I doubt it.

Any other thoughts on:

If I want a Macbook Pro for college this fall, and would rather not buy a full price retina (would love to do refurbished) or can do a regular non retina, what is my best option?

Will the prices on the old retinas drop? Or the regular macbook pros? Don't know what to do.

EDIT: finally, what sort of back to school deals are going to go on?

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
What about the rMBP?

I'll check tomorrow for you and come back. Both 13 & 15?

Without saying where exactly I work, I'd like to think we have a pretty decent relationship with Apple. The area manager is always in talking to us about stuff in general.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
found buyers

Found buyers for all my notebooks.
Saving my cash.
Expecting Apple to thin out more than just thickness of notebooks but to shrink the display frame bezel way down down down - the thick black bezel of the so called retina MacBooks are a great eye sore, there are so many Windows notebooks out there with more appealing thin bezels on their ultrabooks.

Just give me a tremendous 2013 17" MacBook UltraPRO already - thanks.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I'll check tomorrow for you and come back. Both 13 & 15?

Without saying where exactly I work, I'd like to think we have a pretty decent relationship with Apple. The area manager is always in talking to us about stuff in general.

Yes, both the 13" and the 15". Mainly the 13". Thank you a lot!

Leehro

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
Retina on the Air will probably never happen.

I wouldn't say Never, but I certainly don't expect it this year due to costs/power issues. They couldn't keep the price point where it is and maintain their comfy margins, and they can't keep the form factor without adding a lot of batteries.

However, with the introduction of the "Retina" display on the iPhone 4, it seemed pretty clear that "Retina" displays were the goal for every device they make, not just Pro machines. You could argue that the original iPhone 4 was a "pro" machine, but the much cheaper iPod touch also got a "Retina" display in the following update. It wasn't the same quality panel, but it had the same resolution. It wasn't until last year that they started using the same panel in both the iPhone and the iPod touch - and that was ONLY on the more expensive iPod touch models.

Maybe when the MacBook Air does get a significant resolution upgrade, it gets a lesser (read: Non-IPS and not glass) panel.

But I'm still hoping the rMBPs get an update. My wife needs a new computer and I've been making her wait for WWDC.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
That is correct. See also my other posts in reply to other forum members on that subject.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16624770#post16624770

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16624939&posted=1#post16624939

As they are gradually introducing these newer 802.11.ac chips across their entire computer line-up, APPLE is also expected to replace their entire line-up of Airport devices with this newer tech anytime now. But there are already quite a few ac routers available from other manufacturers as well, such as NETGEAR, D-LINK, CISCO, BELKIN, ASUS, BUFFALO, EDIMAX to name a handful, so either way, we'll have to shell out. Sigh.

already spent 300 bucks on an apple time capsule a year ago so, ******* that lol

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I wouldn't say Never, but I certainly don't expect it this year due to costs/power issues. They couldn't keep the price point where it is and maintain their comfy margins, and they can't keep the form factor without adding a lot of batteries.

However, with the introduction of the "Retina" display on the iPhone 4, it seemed pretty clear that "Retina" displays were the goal for every device they make, not just Pro machines. You could argue that the original iPhone 4 was a "pro" machine, but the much cheaper iPod touch also got a "Retina" display in the following update. It wasn't the same quality panel, but it had the same resolution. It wasn't until last year that they started using the same panel in both the iPhone and the iPod touch - and that was ONLY on the more expensive iPod touch models.

Maybe when the MacBook Air does get a significant resolution upgrade, it gets a lesser (read: Non-IPS and not glass) panel.

But I'm still hoping the rMBPs get an update. My wife needs a new computer and I've been making her wait for WWDC.

The MBA will get an IPS retina display, sooner or later. Competitors are doing it, so will Apple.

I'm waiting for rMBP to be released during WWDC as well, but I guess it's unlikely at this point, given the latest rumors.

gizze

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Everyone keeps talking about a slimmer rMBP, but all the articles I have read this morning regarding updates, as I decided to replace my 2010 pro and Air yesterday and then realised news is expected Monday, have said the MBP is slimming down, not the retina.

I was presuming the standard Pro will loose the drive and slim down, and maybe get SSD but no retina display, if they could do that it would make a sleek entry model.

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
Yes, both the 13" and the 15". Mainly the 13". Thank you a lot!

Well we've got them in stock in store and at distribution and we even have orders placed for more stock of the current models, low quantities though. But I noted that those orders have now slipped into the overdue stage, not totally uncommon with Apple products.

But the Air is totally dried up. No orders, none in stock.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Well we've got them in stock in store and at distribution and we even have orders placed for more stock of the current models, low quantities though. But I noted that those orders have now slipped into the overdue stage, not totally uncommon with Apple products.

But the Air is totally dried up. No orders, none in stock.

Thanks!

So, that would mean, MBAs will be refreshed at WWDC 2013, and rMBPs will be refreshed later this year, within a few months. Is that correct?

----------

Everyone keeps talking about a slimmer rMBP, but all the articles I have read this morning regarding updates, as I decided to replace my 2010 pro and Air yesterday and then realised news is expected Monday, have said the MBP is slimming down, not the retina.

I was presuming the standard Pro will loose the drive and slim down, and maybe get SSD but no retina display, if they could do that it would make a sleek entry model.

Would Apple do that? A rMBP without the retina display, is that it? At times when everybody else is moving to high resolution displays, will Apple keep offering those low resolution options? I don't think so...

----------

Wait so what's happening with the MBPs now do we think?

The cMBPs will be discontinued. Apple may keep offering them for a while, but the plans are certainly to replace them for the other models. I don't think a Haswell version is on the cards.

The rMBPs will be updated to feature the latest Haswell processors. I don't know whether this upgrade will occur next week at WWDC or later this year, though.

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
Thanks!

So, that would mean, MBAs will be refreshed at WWDC 2013, and rMBPs will be refreshed later this year, within a few months. Is that correct?

----------

Would Apple do that? A rMBP without the retina display, is that it? At times when everybody else is moving to high resolution displays, will Apple keep offering those low resolution options? I don't think so...

----------

The cMBPs will be discontinued. Apple may keep offering them for a while, but the plans are certainly to replace them for the other models. I don't think a Haswell version is on the cards.

The rMBPs will be updated to feature the latest Haswell processors. I don't know whether this upgrade will occur next week at WWDC or later this year, though.

actually it seems plausible, offering a macbook without retina at current price point....and then upgrade to retina display as CTO for $300 bucks :D

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
actually it seems plausible, offering a macbook without retina at current price point....and then upgrade to retina display as CTO for $300 bucks :D

Yes, it seems plausible. It also seems plausible to offer a retina display for the current price point. There is much hype around the retina display, but it's not so expensive to build as people say. In 2012, before the launch of the rMBP, a retina display with a 2880x1800 resolution costed about US$ 50 more to build than a standard display, if I remember correctly. One year later, costs have probably come down. The main reason for the price point of the rMBP is probably the inclusion of the SSD drive and the costs associated with the development of the new design.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Retina MBP's need a price drop then more people would be interested in them.

Why not take the Base 13" and drop it to $1,000

Then move the MBPr into the Base 13 and Advanced 13 Price Points, they would sell a ton of each if they did that, and I am sure they would still make a lot of money.

I would consider the 13" MBPr if the darn thing was not so expensive with 8GB/256GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.