Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Boy, people can sure get worked up about nothing these days. The woman's been dead for EIGHT YEARS and the guy still can't get some peace if he wants to get married to somebody who, in all likelihood, he has had an interest in both long before and during his tradition-induced marriage. Aren't there people dying somewhere that we could be paying more attention to.

I wish the couple all the best--they've certainly stayed interested in each other a lot longer than most people.

brap said:
I hope she's past menopausal. Their children would make John Merrick look like Brad Pitt.
They're certainly not an attractive pair, but I've always found that interesting in the face of all the anti-Charles ranting during the 90s; the guy is married to somebody who, at least to hear people talk about it, was the finest catch on the British Isles, and yet he's still standing by Camilla. Either Camilla has some serious charms that aren't outwardly evident (in which case, give the girl some credit), or Diana had some unapparent flaws that Charles would be in a better position to know about than some tabloid reader.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Makosuke said:
They're certainly not an attractive pair, but I've always found that interesting in the face of all the anti-Charles ranting during the 90s; the guy is married to somebody who, at least to hear people talk about it, was the finest catch on the British Isles, and yet he's still standing by Camilla. Either Camilla has some serious charms that aren't outwardly evident (in which case, give the girl some credit), or Diana had some unapparent flaws that Charles would be in a better position to know about than some tabloid reader.
I'm sure it has something to do with acceptable families and "proper grooming". Its not like Charles is logging onto eharmony.com to find someone.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Not only has Diana been dead for 8 years, but they were divorced before her death. Even if she were alive, he would be free to marry whomever he wished. Good luck to him. His mother should be ashamed of herself for trying to control every aspect of his life. He is a grown man and should be treated as such. Here is a man who has prepared his whole life to be King, and his mother could give that gift to him, but will probably never do that and when she dies, which could be 20 years from now, he may not want the thrown. Sad.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
All that realy matters is that Prince Charles WILL be happier married to her (i.e. he wont have to conduct cloak and dagger dates. Widdower & divorcee style from earlier post) adn I realy think Princes William and harry put it best when they said that theyre happy for their dad because theyd rather have a happier dad than a miserable one.

Be nice if we got a day off for it.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
brap said:
I hope she's past menopausal. Their children would make John Merrick look like Brad Pitt.

Hahaha - thanks for the laugh :)

I don't know about wishing them happiness though, especially seeing as Camilla did wreck two marriages :(

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
FoxyKaye said:
*yawn*

But seriously, "King Charles!?" :eek:
Sadly for Charles, he's born into a family where the women (including his mother and grandmother) live a LONG time. The Queen Mother lived to 100 or more, and there's no reason to expect that Queen Elizabeth won't do the same... which means Charles will be about *80* when he ascends to the throne. In his case, at least, it ain't so good to be the king... he won't get to enjoy it long.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Ahhhhh, the adulterer and his mistress are getting married. Awww, ain't that sweet.
DJY said:
Not that I care really... and not that I'm a Royalist...
but if I ever needed convincing that we should be a republic... well this is it... Queen Camilla - wife of our future head of state...
I've been hoping for a republic as well but you're probably going to get your wish before me.

VincentVega

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
UK
FoxyKaye said:
*yawn*

But seriously, "King Charles!?" :eek:

There was talk a while back that Charles might use one of his other names, instead of "Charles", on becoming King. His full name is Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor. I think the name that was mentioned was George, but I'm not 100% sure on that. One thing about the Royals is that they have a very select pool of first names: Charles, William, Henry, Edward, etc, etc. Not that imaginative, really. There are a few exceptions like Andrew, but not many. It's like all the Georges in the Bush family - George H. W. (Daddy), George W. (current president), George P. (cousin of W.).

Apparently Charles and his bride-to-be are keeping a careful eye on public reaction. I think most people think "who cares?", to be honest. Let them get married and live happily ever after. The monarchy isn't as important as it was during the time of Henry VIII or Edward VIII; the scandals and divorces of the 1990s have shown that they really aren't that different to the rest of us.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
gwuMACaddict said:
camilla looks like such a hag :eek:

She's 57.

Please come back here and post a picture of yourself when you're almost 60 and we'll check it out to see how much of a stud you are... you chick magnet you...

:p

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Blue Velvet said:
She's 57.

Please come back here and post a picture of yourself when you're almost 60 and we'll check it out to see how much of a stud you are... you chick magnet you...

Compare her with Joanna Lumley (who's about the same age) and you may see his point.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
caveman_uk said:
Compare her with Joanna Lumley (who's about the same age) and you may see his point.

Joanna Lumley is the exception, not the rule...

Besides, I've seen Joanna Lumley in the flesh without her makeup on the Fulham Rd... you'd be surprised.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
caveman_uk said:
Ahhhhh, the adulterer and his mistress are getting married. Awww, ain't that sweet.

Ha! Finally someone calling it the exact same way as I see it.

I feel sorry for the kids, especially as they are well aware that their future step-mom wrecked their own mother's marriage - of course Charles himself didn't protest too loudly and willingly helped contribute to the marriage's demise :(

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
caveman_uk said:

I'd have used Jane Seymour (a smidgen younger) myself ;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
gwuMACaddict said:
camilla looks like such a hag :eek:

she's actually done a lot better than some 57 years olds i have seen...especially english 57 year olds...as we know from the movie "serendipity" that english chicks don't age well ;)

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
jefhatfield said:
...as we know from the movie "serendipity" that english chicks don't age well ;)

Well we know that it can't be from too much sun, because they don't get too much of that over there :rolleyes:

IMHO ruling out too much sun, alcohol or other environmental factors, the main thing that determines whether one ages well or not is genetics.

Here in California, whenever I ordered beer or wine with my meal, I was always asked for my ID up until the age of about 35. It never bothered me because I knew that down the line it would pay dividends. So while I don't look 18 anymore, I am fortunate enough to be blessed with good genetics so I look a few decades younger than my peers ;)

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I really dislike Charles and I think he's severely flawed. But I don't wish bad things to anyone and so I really do wish him all the best with the marriage. I think the Duchess of Cornwall vs Princes of Wales is a sensible and good move. I think the Princess Consort vs Queen has to do with the Church and not Diana.

Personally - bring on the republic FAST! (Australia)

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
VincentVega said:
There was talk a while back that Charles might use one of his other names, instead of "Charles", on becoming King. His full name is Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor. I think the name that was mentioned was George, but I'm not 100% sure on that. One thing about the Royals is that they have a very select pool of first names: Charles, William, Henry, Edward, etc, etc. Not that imaginative, really. There are a few exceptions like Andrew, but not many. It's like all the Georges in the Bush family - George H. W. (Daddy), George W. (current president), George P. (cousin of W.).

Apparently Charles and his bride-to-be are keeping a careful eye on public reaction. I think most people think "who cares?", to be honest. Let them get married and live happily ever after. The monarchy isn't as important as it was during the time of Henry VIII or Edward VIII; the scandals and divorces of the 1990s have shown that they really aren't that different to the rest of us.

Why is it when I hear about so many Georges' I think of griling?? :D

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Blue Velvet said:
She's 57.

a deal's a deal, sweetheart :D

*kisses*

KooBrewoP

macrumors regular
May 19, 2004
behind you!
i think people pay a disproportionate amount of interest in the royals, i mean front page on every newspaper, there are more important things going on in the world.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
absolut_mac said:
Well we know that it can't be from too much sun, because they don't get too much of that over there :rolleyes:

IMHO ruling out too much sun, alcohol or other environmental factors, the main thing that determines whether one ages well or not is genetics.

Here in California, whenever I ordered beer or wine with my meal, I was always asked for my ID up until the age of about 35. It never bothered me because I knew that down the line it would pay dividends. So while I don't look 18 anymore, I am fortunate enough to be blessed with good genetics so I look a few decades younger than my peers ;)

i am asian american, so predictably when i was 35, i looked to be in my early 20s and most people would card me...another asian american promised me i would look more or less young until the magic age of 60, and at that age is when all asians turn into handbags and look their age...he he

but somewhere around 39 or 40, i started looking much older and now at 41, i look 41 and i guess i wasn't one of the lucky ones who can fool people until age 60

for some strange reason, my facial hair is gray so if i shave really closely, i can pull off a frumpy "35" year old on good days ;)

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
diana said there was three in her marriage.
the tampon and the rotweiller will be living with the ghost of diana in their marriage. what goes around comes around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.