Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Anyone receive their Nano texture glass Pro Display? Would love to see some shots of it in the wild. I ordered the standard glass and it got delivered; definitely a sight of beauty but am wondering if I should have gone with the nano texture. Unfortunately local Apple store only has the standard glass on display.

Any pictures/thoughts would help!

gerrard0804

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
I saw today on x’mas eve in Apple store in Hong Kong. The standard glass one is definitely a better choice if you place it in the room where lighting is fixed and controlled. It just looks more vivid and sharper on the standard glass one. The image on nano texture looks a bit darker and scattered because of the matte texture. Matte is still matte. The Apple advisor told the matte will be good in studio where you have so many lightings from different directions, nano will be your choice.

I add a pic here which the left one is standard glass and the right is nano texture. The picture can’t really tell which better. It looks like even the right(nano) look brighter. However, this is not the case when you see yourself in person.

go for standard glass one if you will use it in your own room
175B1390-00FC-4B22-BEB6-5F5A63CA46A2.jpeg

Last edited:

wilsonjchan

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
I saw today on x’mas eve in Apple store in Hong Kong. The standard glass one is definitely a better choice if you place it in the room where lighting is fixed and controlled. It just looks more vivid and sharper on the standard glass one. The image on nano texture looks a bit darker and scattered because of the matte texture. Matte is still matte. The Apple advisor told the matte will be good in studio where you have so many lightings from different directions, nano will be your choice.

I add a pic here which the left one is standard glass and the right is nano texture. The picture can’t really tell which better. It looks like even the right(nano) look brighter. However, this is not the case when you see yourself in person.

go for standard glass one if you will use it in your own room
View attachment 884466

Thanks for your post. Based on your observation and Marques Brownlee's comment about brightness dropoff, I have switched my order from Nano to Standard.

Reactions: cdcastillo

wilsonjchan

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
What did Marques comment on nano and standard glass?。he picked the nano which he thinks prevail over standard.

By the way, it’d be better if you can walk in the apple store and see in person to judge

Marques remarked that, despite the 189-degree viewing angle in the specs, there's noticeable light dropoff at small angle. That's reasonable given the textured glass. I'm keeping my Nano order for now and picking up the Standard at the Apple Store today. Hopefully they have both on display.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
Marques remarked that, despite the 189-degree viewing angle in the specs, there's noticeable light dropoff at small angle. That's reasonable given the textured glass. I'm keeping my Nano order for now and picking up the Standard at the Apple Store today. Hopefully they have both on display.

I have the Pro Display XDR next to my iMac Pro and although the display is amazing and I have no complaints, the backlight is not as perfectly uniform and the viewing angle is not quite as good either. I love the display anyway, and I am sure you will too.

gerrard0804

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
it's overall light dropoff for nano-texture, you can see it clearly at your front, not as bright as stand glass as I think there is still matte material inside the glass texture which scatters the light no matter how new is that nano technology. I firstly thought to order nano and now changed the idea to standard glass which is cheaper as well for the fund of that stand which costs the equivalent saving.
[automerge]1577206291[/automerge]
I have the Pro Display XDR next to my iMac Pro and although the display is amazing and I have no complaints, the backlight is not as perfectly uniform and the viewing angle is not quite as good either. I love the display anyway, and I am sure you will too.
you mean the backlight is not as even as imac pro's 5k display?

wilsonjchan

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
After seeing both versions in person at the Apple Park Visitor Center store, I am sticking with my Nano order. There’s a tiny bit of light drop off when I moved my head, but the matte beats out the very glossy finish of the other version. Nano is on the left in the photo.

Attachments

• E1F49E9E-5B9A-4839-AB84-975454CDD11F.jpeg
    E1F49E9E-5B9A-4839-AB84-975454CDD11F.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 6,012

Cancelled
Oct 30, 2019
Do both come With a cleaning cloth though? It will be months before we can buy those separately...

Reactions: Fuchal

gerrard0804

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
After seeing both versions in person at the Apple Park Visitor Center store, I am sticking with my Nano order. There’s a tiny bit of light drop off when I moved my head, but the matte beats out the very glossy finish of the other version. Nano is on the left in the photo.
Don’t you think nano one is less vivid and sharper than the standard class?

wilsonjchan

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
They had the Standard brought out to me at the store but after seeing the two side-by-side, I exercised extreme self-control and cancelled the pickup. Hopefully the Nano will arrive soon.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
you mean the backlight is not as even as imac pro's 5k display?

I was a bit surprised too, but no -- its not quite as bright. Its very good, and if you weren't looking at them both side by side you probably wouldn't have any qualms with the backlight. Side by side, the iMac Pro display is slightly brighter at its top backlight level.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I will wait to see both in person but my experience with standard glass displays are really not great. The glare all over the screen is so annoying. Unless if you work on a very dark environment, I would definitely go nano. I still have my two 30” ACDs and I love them. I work on a bright environment with windows and the matte is a must.
There is a YT video that Jonathan Morison show both standard/nano side by side and he raves about the nano.

Last edited:

gerrard0804

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
I was a bit surprised too, but no -- its not quite as bright. Its very good, and if you weren't looking at them both side by side you probably wouldn't have any qualms with the backlight. Side by side, the iMac Pro display is slightly brighter at its top backlight level.
The one you have is nano or standard glass?
[automerge]1577247513[/automerge]
They had the Standard brought out to me at the store but after seeing the two side-by-side, I exercised extreme self-control and cancelled the pickup. Hopefully the Nano will arrive soon.
You compared the nano and standard glass side by side? I mean the image or fonts looks not as clear as the standard glass. In Apple store , they got strong spot lights on the top. The reflection may be strong too. I don’t think this happens in my room.

Last edited:

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
This is interesting to see. I ordered the nano and was hoping to compare the two at the NYC 5th Avenue flagship when I was in NYC this past weekend, but they don't have any XDR's or any Mac Pros...although they said they are expecting to get both "soon." Seems like supply constraints of some kind are in play on the displays?

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
The one you have is nano or standard glass?
[automerge]1577247513[/automerge]

You compared the nano and standard glass side by side? I mean the image or fonts looks not as clear as the standard glass. In Apple store , they got strong spot lights on the top. The reflection may be strong too. I don’t think this happens in my room.

I have the standard glass. If the nano dulls the brightness/sharpness at all, I think you’ll be happier with the standard glass. I also have normal lighting conditions (couple of windows) and don’t mind the glossy finish of my iMac. The standard glass looks to be about the same level of reflectivity as that.

gerrard0804

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
you compare the imac pro and xdr nano or standard glass? How come the xdr is less brighter than imac pro? Apple accents the xdr display at 1,600 nits of brightness while the iMac Pro only at 500nits?
[automerge]1577268807[/automerge]
So, changed idea again to nano finally ?

wilsonjchan

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
So, changed idea again to nano finally ?

Yes, I prefer the Nano after seeing both versions side-by-side. I didn't spend a lot of time comparing though so I might end up regretting it. I deal with a lot of textual content and that might be a weak point of the Nano. I'll find out next week.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Does the screen on the nano version have a glass texture or is it the plasticky surface like on the old Cinema Display?

JoeMaj

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2015
PA

It isn't surprising that your iMac Pro display appears brighter than the XDR. The iMac Pro and other LCD displays light the entire back panel. The XDR uses 576 blue LED's to light the screen only where brightness is needed. That is why contrast is much higher and blacks should look noticeably better.

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 2.49.44 PM.png

Reactions: Te0SX

kid2010

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
@OCDMacGeek have you tried switching display preset to Apple Display P3-500 nits? Mine in that mode kinda matches what iMac Pro does. I think the preset for Pro Display XDR has a lower default, and will only go higher with HDR content.

wilsonjchan

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Just received my Nano today and so far I really like it. White uniformity is very good even though I can see some "dirty window effect" when dragging around a white window. The anti-glare effect makes video content much more immersive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.