Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I picked up the ProClip iPhone 4 dashboard mount, works well if anyone is looking for a similar mounting solution. They use a two part system, a clip specific to your vehicle + a device mount. They have a few iPhone 4 specific mounts, I went with the Adjustable Mount w/ pass Through connection. It was a bit pricy ($110) for both the clip and the mount, but it's a very custom result. I'm pleased, handy for using the Tom Tom app.

Pictures below (installed in my Audi A3). The charger's not included, I had that already.

SNV32127.jpg

SNV32126.jpg

SNV32123.jpg

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I really like their products, but they completely ruin it by plastering stickers of their company all over the product.

CapitalTee

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
How does the phone fit in landscape mode?
does it feel safe or could it possibly fall out since theres no horizontal support?

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
This looks like one of the better solutions until TomTom updates their Car Kit for the iPhone 4 (which I'm waiting for).

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I really like their products, but they completely ruin it by plastering stickers of their company all over the product.

You would figure for that advertising on the product, they wouldn't gouge the customer with their prices that are four times the cost of the competition with no noticeable advancement.

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
But 20x the quality of anything else out there. You get what you pay for.

And the car-specific clip, it was curved perfectly to match the where it contacted in the dash and the radio. I've used these in previous cars, always great quality but really expensive. I never saw the need with my 3G, but using the GPS on the 4 makes it worthwhile..

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
does it feel safe or could it possibly fall out since theres no horizontal support?

They have different mounts, I went with the adjustable one that you could use with a skin / case attached. They say you can't use that model with the Bumper case, I suspect this is an issue with the dock connector opening being so small on the bumper rather than a lack of adjustment. I think they sell a bumper-specific model.

You have to play with it a bit so it's adjusted to hold securely but not limit insertion / removal. Seems to be very secure, and it's docked so there's some resistance from the dock connection as well.

Sharkzilla

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
And what about your charger? Brodit? Do you like it? Do you notice any buzz/interference when playing music with it?

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
You would figure for that advertising on the product, they wouldn't gouge the customer with their prices that are four times the cost of the competition with no noticeable advancement.

Really? I haven't honestly seen any competition for this company. If you know of some, dude... let us know! :D

Yeah I have to peel those off.. Should have done that before I installed it.

Is it the same material underneath the sticker? Does it look the same?

Aye it's nice, but kinda spendy.

Yup. Way too much.

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
And what about your charger? Brodit? Do you like it? Do you notice any buzz/interference when playing music with it?

I was using a Kensington Liquid Aux.. but the charger wouldn't keep a good connection in the lighter, i'd have to futz with it all the time. I switched to one of those low-profile USB chargers. I mostly listen to the sat radio in the car anyway..

Also my 12v's and the line in are under the armrest so everything has to route there.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I have a different part, the passthru holder for naked iPhone 4. It is tight enough that I don't worry in the slightest about it slipping out.

20 times the quality? In what way?
It is simply rock solid. The way it attaches to the car is totally custom, based on the design of your interior and optimized for the most secure and visible position. And their holders are very secure, well designed and they fit perfectly. It's a flawless product. Can't say that about too many things.

oh I see now Brodit is the passthrough connection part?

I believe Brodit is the manufacturer and Proclip is the brand name we're familiar with.

Attachments

• DSC00318.JPG
    DSC00318.JPG
    397.3 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC00319.JPG
    DSC00319.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 319

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I have a different part, the passthru holder for naked iPhone 4. It is tight enough that I don't worry in the slightest about it slipping out.

That decal is crazy..

Agree 100%, great quality and clips are a custom fit that you can't get elsewhere. Wait, I could have gotten the sh#tty $600 audi iPod connection, which would lock it up in the glovebox.

I would have preferred to mount it like that, up on the vent but my vents are pretty small on this car.. That's a jetta, right?

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008

Like who? These are custom fit solutions for your car. Not a one size fits all mount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.