Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Looks great, OP. Unfortunately, Proclip doesn't seem to like those of us that try to drive cars that are eco-friendly and thus doesn't make a custom mount for my particular car (Toyota Echo). Therefore, I'm gonna have to go with the Arkon universal mount that uses the floorboard bolt on the passenger seat.

It's not a big deal, but I'd love to be able to use the Proclip system. It's just so clean and solid.

Thanks for posting the pictures, though!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
How does the audio output work? I see your simply using a standard Apple dock connector to USB cable? My car has a line input connector and was wondering how audio will work...

Btw, nice pics and thanks for the update.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Based on another thread I read here I went ahead and ordered a proclip for my car and couldn't be happier. The quality is really good and IMHO worth the price premium.

Proclip's service seems pretty good to -- I accidentally dropped a thumb screw down a storm drain while installing it (note to self: don't install things in 110 degree heat with sweaty hands) and they overnighted me a new one for free.

I went with the adjustable holder for the 3gs with the dock pass through. The side panels can be adjusted to fit different size cases. I don't have a 4g but I borrowed my sister's and it fit just fine. My 3gs without a case fits fine to and doesn't move at all while I'm driving.

How sturdy are those clip-on mounts? I have been looking for a good solid car mount. I've got a couple apps that give 0-60 times and lap times and stuff like that and the phone needs to be secure.

Seems plenty stable to me. The clip on mine went between two dash plates and had adhesive on both sides. I haven't tried dynolicious with it yet but I've been pleasantly surprised at how stable it is.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
How does the audio output work? I see your simply using a standard Apple dock connector to USB cable? My car has a line input connector and was wondering how audio will work...

That's another challenge entirely. What you probably need is "Audio and Sync Cable for iPhone / iPod (Apple Dock Connector to USB / 3.5mm Audio)" which splits the dock connector to a usb cable for charging and a line out for your stereo--it used to be available at Monoprice for all of $4. All their iPhone stuff has mysteriously disappeared for now. Separate thread.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
That's another challenge entirely. What you probably need is "Audio and Sync Cable for iPhone / iPod (Apple Dock Connector to USB / 3.5mm Audio)" which splits the dock connector to a usb cable for charging and a line out for your stereo--it used to be available at Monoprice for all of $4. All their iPhone stuff has mysteriously disappeared for now. Separate thread.

Thank you very much for that link! Yea I'm aware of monoprice's Apple product downtime actually. I was trying to get a mini display port adapter yesterday and all the products are just gone. I read your thread and also got the same response from a chat rep. But i just clicked the link and the product seems available and ready to buy.

Do you have this cable yourself and do you know how well the quality is?

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

lorenwade said:
I really like their products, but they completely ruin it by plastering stickers of their company all over the product.

Really? It's really not that hard to take stickers off. Use goo off or something similar to remove the residue.

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I may get this one for my A4.

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-ve...002-2008/proclip-left-mount-802916-14917.aspx

How sturdy are those clip-on mounts? I have been looking for a good solid car mount. I've got a couple apps that give 0-60 times and lap times and stuff like that and the phone needs to be secure.

I guess it depends on the mount. I had a ProClip sat radio mount in my last car (vw tuareg) that connected in two places, in the gap between the HU and the dash and a seam above the glove box. That was incredibly solid, those two points were perpendicular and so no movement at all. So solid I had to break it to get it out when I sold the car.

The particular mount I picked for the A3 just clips behind the faceplate on the HU, and has some adhesive on the points touching the dash and radio.. Not as solid but fine for my purposes. I drive the A3 fairly quick, etc. and it's been fine.

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010

Btw, nice pics and thanks for the update.

I have the line in but wasn't using it at the moment.. I like that USB cable someone posted, will be getting that certainly.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
As soon as I get the spare cash, I'm shelling out the $80 or so I'll be spending for the mount and holder for my car from ProClip. I'm slightly worried that the mount won't fit as well as intended, as it's meant to attach to the radio and dash gaps, but I have an aftermarket radio/CD player installed (wanted the AUX port mostly, FM transmitters are crap) so it may not be as tight of a fit. I was going to post a review of it here but it seems like everyone has a review of theirs so I'll most likely be redundant.

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
RE the questions on the stickers, they come off no issue (first pic). I was able to get the LiquidAux charger to stay in the socket with a bit a electrical tape on the sides of the plug, that + the proclip makes this a pretty clean setup in this car. (second pic)

Attachments

• SNV32136.jpg
    SNV32136.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 121
  • SNV32139.jpg
    SNV32139.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 110

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I have the line in but wasn't using it at the moment.. I like that USB cable someone posted, will be getting that certainly.

Yea, it is nice, though spblat was correct though. The cable is out of stock with no sign of restock in sight at monoprice. So I searched on Amazon and there are a couple of nice, but unfortunately pricier alternatives. So far I found these two:

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Cable-...UTF8&coliid=I3U1L5WTLHMU96&colid=DF7V5TWPO2A9

http://www.amazon.com/RadTech-ProCa...UTF8&coliid=I168S7CHWFV4XK&colid=DF7V5TWPO2A9

The first one is cheaper so I'll probably be going for that one.

Also, I have one last question. I was looking between the phone holder you had and the $10 cheaper version which is not "adjustable". Just curious as to what part of the holder is meant to be adjustable? Is it the vertical positioning of the dock connector that can be moved?

Edit: Just read from their cumbersomely tiny font and lengthy description that it does adjust horizontally, but judging from the pictures, it's really difficult to tell. This makes me curious as to why this mount is stated as not meant to support a bumper, since obviously it supports your case? Hmm...

Edit 2: Oh, I forgot. It doesn't support the bumper because the dock connector won't fit through the bumper's smaller port, right?

Also, your dock looks MUCH better now without all those stickers. :D

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Also, I have one last question. I was looking between the phone holder you had and the $10 cheaper version which is not "adjustable". Just curious as to what part of the holder is meant to be adjustable? Is it the vertical positioning of the dock connector that can be moved?

The adjustable part refers to the two side plates that grip the phone. They can slide at an angle so as you scoot them out to allow for wider cases they also move down. It's pretty ingenious actually -- by moving the side supports down it effectively makes the dock connector taller, so the dock connector is positioned correctly whether you have case installed or not. If you're still confused these pictures might help:

It supports my iphone just fine with and without a case and my sister's 4g (without bumper) fit fine too. Note that there's normally four screws. I dropped one while installing it and keep forgetting the replacement at work. I took the stickers off mine too but haven't gotten around to goo-gone-ing it yet. Mine only came with one sticker though.

On a somewhat related note, does anybody else have trouble reading the text on the iphone screen when it's mounted in the car? I really like using the ipod and pandora apps but the light gray text they use for the artist and song title is way too small to read at a glance. Any solutions?

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I am VERY close to ordering a ProClip. The only thing stopping me if any type of coupon code that someone may have or know of or "ac number" that they ask for at checkout.

Anyone know of any? I Google'd for some but no luck :(

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
i ordered the standard clip for the iphone 4 + bumper

OP

could you do me a favor, could you see if the holder you have will work with an iphone 4 with an apple brand BUmper

if that's possible ( i wanted to buy a pass through dock, but they didn't have one that was made specifically for the iphone 4 + bumper

a3silver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
OP

could you do me a favor, could you see if the holder you have will work with an iphone 4 with an apple brand BUmper

Don't have a bumper (returned the one I had), but as mentioned by others the dock connector opening is likely a show stopper

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Don't have a bumper (returned the one I had), but as mentioned by others the dock connector opening is likely a show stopper

thanks bro

so far I have

Proclip car mount
proclip standard dock ( iphone 4 + bumper )

Ram mount car diamond mount
Ram mount AMPS mount ( device)
Ram mount Iphone 4 holder
Ram mount iPhone 3G holder

I plan on testing everything when I have some free time and see what works best :D

I drive quite a distance every day so its a worthy investment for me

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I've been using ProClip myself for a few years. The same mount has worked for all iPhones, generations 1-4. I also have a USA Spec interface, which is awesome. It provides a direct connection to my audio system and also charges the iPhone very quickly.

20100815-kciqexhq6kseqds86e8f1digjc.jpg

20100815-t9pdu64jqicyu6dg5siaeq1mry.jpg

20100815-pike4i2r3d5u7cmdjrmpcticfw.jpg

It's expensive initially, but you get what you pay for. I've had mine for three years now.

Scidd0w

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
I would like to have one passive holder for the 3GS of my girlfriend and the iPhone4 of myself. Does someone have experience with this?

I see adjustable versions for the 3GS and the 4 but I don't know which one to get?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.