Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
iphone bloat sheaths reality. i don't care about traffic, the fact of the matter is is that RIM still owns twice the market share the iphone does, and android is geared up to release some pretty stellar devices, other studies i've read note that in spite of incredible sales, people fall out of love with the iphone after 1-2 years with the device (much like i did) and move on to more adult focused hardware. bottom line, apple needs to change their workings if they want to continue this trend.

Funny, I find a lot more people fall "out of love" with their Blackberry devices than their iPhones. I know about a dozen people with iPhones, ranging from just-got-it to bought-it-first-month. I don't hear any of them griping about their phones, ever. They gripe about AT&T, but not their phones. Except for one, they all owned Blackberries before the iPhone.

Contrast this with the several dozen people who have Blackberries (including me). We all complain about the devices, ranging from Pearls and Storms through my Tour and a few Curves. They all have fatal flaws, in the hardware and in the software. I have yet (in my admittedly short time on Blackberry, just a few months) to see any of the significant software flaws addressed by Blackberry.

everytime one of my blackberry friends asks me what is sacrificed if they change to iphone, the idea ends there. iphone should be featuring push email for all email accounts and background processing, i'd also like a better display if i were designing it, my bold has a better screen than the iphone, as does the droid.

Personally, I find the BB's "you must have notification for every email ever sent to your accounts ... and, no, I don't do junk mail filtering; why would you want that?" attitude highly annoying. Not BB's fault directly, but my wife composes an email in Google Mail and gets dozens of "new" messages on her BB, which are the drafts of that email Mail saves on the server; the "don't include sent mail" option on Google Mail doesn't work, so you can always tell if she's composing a long email by the constant dinging and buzzing of her phone and the under-her-breath cursing. How about apps being able to keep the BB from charging when they are on and it is plugged in (which absolutely shocked me)? You think BB will address that issue?

On the other hand, the Tour's scroll ball actually works, which is a distinct improvement over the Pearl, so I suppose BB is getting their hardware issues figured out. Now if only we didn't need to force resets on the damned things every couple of weeks...

ANYWAY, my point is i switched because i felt it getting stagnant, and i think other people do too. RIM is about to launch a webkit browser and they have open development support for and incredible amount of new api's and opengl. at that point, i don't see how the iphone will be better in any aspect other than possible the 'look i got an iphone' crowd.

Wow, BB is going to catch up to the rest of the industry? I hadn't heard that. Will I get a WebKit browser in my Tour? That would be awesome. Except, of course, BB's funky control scheme makes browsing painful (browsing on a phone without a touch screen is just a losing proposition), but at least being able to visit sites I visit regularly while I'm out and about would be a huge step forward. You think they'll fix their crappy bookmarking system with something that actually works, too? How about making typing URLs easier by not treating the address field like every other text field on the phone (two awkward button presses to get the '.' of 'www.' or '.com' ...)?

The Storm guys hate their browser too. I suspect that's the only place BB will roll out a Webkit browser, although I might be wrong.

RIM just posted INCREDIBLE quarter numbers, and still own x2 the marketshare apple does, while i do indeed HATE the iphone, i'm thankful for it's existence as it makes my blackberry experience get better every year.

Good for you. I hope the BB experience does improve, because being on Verizon (I like my phone service to be available where I go, silly me) I'm stuck right there with you for the next ~2 years. If the iPhone isn't available when I have phone trade-in cash again, I'll be ditching this BB train for an Android train.

On the other hand, while BB has seen growth, and they are just under twice Apple's numbers, Apple is gaining on them pretty fast. They had well over 2x advantage Q2, and have slightly under 2x advantage at the end of Q3, and this with no major iPhone advances to spur growth in that time and despite several major BB rollouts (Storm 2, Tour, etc) I don't think BB's future is quite as bright as you think it is. They are losing dominance in the smartphone market as fast as they gained it when their only competition was Windows Mobile and Palm OS.

IMHO, you'll see BB dominance shrivel to a core nugget of hardcore "business" users - the guy in IT who needs to have his notifications the instant the server goes down - but lose completely in the consumer space (they've tried there, but failed several times) and in the executive space (BB's just aren't cool anymore, and their annoyances don't make up for it). That is, if Android doesn't swoop in and eat their lunch there.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Hmm, I don't know about the veracity of the story, but the idiocy of Ballmer is impossible to exaggerate...
You're quite right, it would ring true no matter how much over the top one goes - but the mannerisms seem spot on.

And what's really hilarious - I totally made up my new sig before I saw yours. No lie. LOL!

I've got to admit, I like yours even better - much more to the point.

katiepea

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Funny, I find a lot more people fall "out of love" with their Blackberry devices than their iPhones. I know about a dozen people with iPhones, ranging from just-got-it to bought-it-first-month. I don't hear any of them griping about their phones, ever. They gripe about AT&T, but not their phones. Except for one, they all owned Blackberries before the iPhone.

Contrast this with the several dozen people who have Blackberries (including me). We all complain about the devices, ranging from Pearls and Storms through my Tour and a few Curves. They all have fatal flaws, in the hardware and in the software. I have yet (in my admittedly short time on Blackberry, just a few months) to see any of the significant software flaws addressed by Blackberry.

Personally, I find the BB's "you must have notification for every email ever sent to your accounts ... and, no, I don't do junk mail filtering; why would you want that?" attitude highly annoying. Not BB's fault directly, but my wife composes an email in Google Mail and gets dozens of "new" messages on her BB, which are the drafts of that email Mail saves on the server; the "don't include sent mail" option on Google Mail doesn't work, so you can always tell if she's composing a long email by the constant dinging and buzzing of her phone and the under-her-breath cursing. How about apps being able to keep the BB from charging when they are on and it is plugged in (which absolutely shocked me)? You think BB will address that issue?

On the other hand, the Tour's scroll ball actually works, which is a distinct improvement over the Pearl, so I suppose BB is getting their hardware issues figured out. Now if only we didn't need to force resets on the damned things every couple of weeks...

Wow, BB is going to catch up to the rest of the industry? I hadn't heard that. Will I get a WebKit browser in my Tour? That would be awesome. Except, of course, BB's funky control scheme makes browsing painful (browsing on a phone without a touch screen is just a losing proposition), but at least being able to visit sites I visit regularly while I'm out and about would be a huge step forward. You think they'll fix their crappy bookmarking system with something that actually works, too? How about making typing URLs easier by not treating the address field like every other text field on the phone (two awkward button presses to get the '.' of 'www.' or '.com' ...)?

The Storm guys hate their browser too. I suspect that's the only place BB will roll out a Webkit browser, although I might be wrong.

Good for you. I hope the BB experience does improve, because being on Verizon (I like my phone service to be available where I go, silly me) I'm stuck right there with you for the next ~2 years. If the iPhone isn't available when I have phone trade-in cash again, I'll be ditching this BB train for an Android train.

On the other hand, while BB has seen growth, and they are just under twice Apple's numbers, Apple is gaining on them pretty fast. They had well over 2x advantage Q2, and have slightly under 2x advantage at the end of Q3, and this with no major iPhone advances to spur growth in that time and despite several major BB rollouts (Storm 2, Tour, etc) I don't think BB's future is quite as bright as you think it is. They are losing dominance in the smartphone market as fast as they gained it when their only competition was Windows Mobile and Palm OS.

IMHO, you'll see BB dominance shrivel to a core nugget of hardcore "business" users - the guy in IT who needs to have his notifications the instant the server goes down - but lose completely in the consumer space (they've tried there, but failed several times) and in the executive space (BB's just aren't cool anymore, and their annoyances don't make up for it). That is, if Android doesn't swoop in and eat their lunch there.

this might just be the most retarded response i've ever received on a forum, and i'm sure you thought you really "GOT" me also. i could type responses to all of your extremely bogus remarks and what you consider as most likely 'witty' but i won't, i'll just say that apple is the king of 'wait until next year' sorry but you just get copy and paste and mms in year THREE? give me a break. the professional mobile industry doesn't consider the iphone worthwhile, just a consumer market. i should know, i bought 11 for my company, and after the first year and half with them, everyone wanted to go back to blackberry. why? because it's a toy. blackberry has grown more in the consumer market than anywhere else and i'll just leave it at that. this apple fanboyism stuff is extremely out of control. i've been a loyal apple fan for decades, and this phone they've made....well the only thing worse than it is the people that blindly are in love with it. grow up man. nearly everything you responded was grotesquely false.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.