Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
What would be funny is to set up a shell company and start selling "open open computers", that are Pystar compatible.

How do you like them Apples?

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
You're going to tout MagSafe as a huge feature then? I had a 17" PB G4 1.33 without MagSafe, and it worked flawlessly. Now where does that leave us....

1280x800 is the screen resolution (and the goofy glossy display, but that's another matter entirely). Think it is a 9-cell battery... I get about 4 hours out of it during normal use.[/QUOTE

]I never said anything about the MagSafe adapter.

You must have got a great deal, because I cannot get a Dell laptop, with the price you quoted earlier, with a 1280x800 resolution and a 9-cell battery, without the order being customized and thus raising the price.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why are people criticizing them when they are still paying for a copy of Leopard?

Wow. They purchase the OSX copies legally.

I'm so glad that you guys will be happy when OS X shoots up to $400. Because the current price is based on the fact that Apple gets a hardware sale out of it, you know.

If this clone deal ends up being permenant, say goodbay to $129 copies of OS X. This idea bothers me, but I guess you two will be fine.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
People I have a Macpro and a monster desktop PC that I built. One computer I use for everyday task like work and email and internet surfing and the other is a bleeding edge, take and test everything you can throw at machine. I love my macpro and leopard. It always works and I never worry about it. I love my PC and it destroys my MAC at all high-end work but is breaking down all the time (I love to play with electronics). My point is you are not running the bleeding edge technology on any MAC computer, especially their laptops. You are paying for the apple experience and beauty. Anyone that argues the price difference between an apple laptop and a PC laptop is not that different has no clue about computer parts. Now if you argue that the extra money spent is worth it then that is a different story altogether.

Well, I do know computer parts, so you're wrong in that statement. Macintosh computers don't always just work either, otherwise we wouldn't have a forum full of people asking questions. ;)

I think your non-Mac system may be breaking down because of you're playing. Not sure though... :)

3NV7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
I don't care what anyone says or what the price is... I'd rather have a Rolex than a Romex or Rayban's and not Bayran's. Having the real thing is always better than a swamp meet/flea market quality cheap knock off.

So what if Rolex doesn't offer the particular model/features you want? What then?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I never said anything about the MagSafe adapter.

You must have got a great deal, because I cannot get a Dell laptop, with the price you quoted earlier, with a 1280x800 resolution and a 9-cell battery, without the order being customized and thus raising the price.

Honestly, I don't know. That's just the way it came and that's the price I paid. I guess they could have had a deal going on. I just needed a laptop for the wife, and ordered it.

Sorry about the MagSafe. I got so many replies that everyone is becoming a blur now...

virduk

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
They are not a competitor - a competitor actually has to do something!

Well...they are offering an affordable tower that can run OSX. And with new options like bluray and 9800GT to boot. None of which Apple can be bothered to offer.

ryanplusplus

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I did, if you care to read the thread.

I see now that you have your specs, model and price in different posts.

You seem to leave out in your analysis form-factor and build quality, the graphics card, the difference in processor/FSB/cache, memory type/speed, screen quality, multitouch trackpad, weight, OS/included software, etc.

As someone said before, the m1330 is a much more comparable machine. Also noted before, Macs may seem expensive, but that's largely due to the fact that they don't have a low-end SKU.

Now, I won't argue that you don't pay a premium for an Apple machine, but it's certainly not as bad as you tried to make it seem. Plus, to top it off, there are a lot of little things that you just won't be able to match in a competitor's laptop like the all-aluminum enclosure, glass screen, etc.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I'm so glad that you guys will be happy when OS X shoots up to $400. Because the current price is based on the fact that Apple gets a hardware sale out of it, you know.

If this clone deal ends up being permenant, say goodbay to $129 copies of OS X. This idea bothers me, but I guess you two will be fine.

Yup. Apple is still riding high off the money made on those old powerbooks running leopard, eh?

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
I see psystar is working on laptop clones.

apple sure needs some competition when it comes to laptop hardware.

Particularly their substandard displays. e.g.

-claiming to be 8 bit but really 6-bit (there is a class action lawsuit for this)

-pitiful 1440x990 lcd rez on macbook pro 15.4" when all the big name pc laptop makers offer 1680x1050 or more as an option (hell, even ibm had optional 15" 1600x1200 laptop lcds 5 or 6 years ago)

-No IPS panel option (just the mid-grade MVA panel)

ryanplusplus

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Well, the MB has more bus speed, more cache, and faster RAM. That ,and that Dell only has Windows Vista Home Premium.

My point was that it is a comparison that is favorable to Apple. I'm sure you can wait for a coupon that makes the m1330 cheaper than the MB, but you still have to deal with the fact that the MB is a better built, faster machine.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Why are you tempted? Get OSX86 and throw your own rig together.

Why are people criticizing them when they are still paying for a copy of Leopard? They may be violating EULA, but they aren't stealing the OS from Apple.

I've been saying that for a VERY long time.. I paid for my OS, I paid for my hardware. I'm doing absolutely nothing wrong :)

As an aside, my Hacintosh is more reliable and cost less than any Apple machine I've ever owned.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I see now that you have your specs, model and price in different posts.

You seem to leave out in your analysis form-factor and build quality, the graphics card, the difference in processor/FSB/cache, memory type/speed, screen quality, multitouch trackpad, weight, OS/included software, etc.

As someone said before, the m1330 is a much more comparable machine. Also noted before, Macs may seem expensive, but that's largely due to the fact that they don't have a low-end SKU.

Now, I won't argue that you don't pay a premium for an Apple machine, but it's certainly not as bad as you tried to make it seem. Plus, to top it off, there are a lot of little things that you just won't be able to match in a competitor's laptop like the all-aluminum enclosure, glass screen, etc.

Forget that aluminum enclosure, screen, or trackpad. I wasn't and am still not impressed by any of them. The aluminum seemed to show spots badly, and the glass reflects. Actually, I don't even use the trackpad on my 1525, and hate that glossy screen too.

I would have compared the CPU, but Apple kindly left out the model number for the CPU they use. Anyway, if you know that info, you can compare mine to theirs and come up with a summary.

I did mention the memory being different, however the screen has the same resolution, and is powered by an X3100. Low video card, yeah, but hey, it's powering a 15" screen.

Weight is 5.2 lbs. It's running Ubuntu 8.04, so I have all the software I need, and more, from editing our home videos to managing our music and photos.

I do have Firewire, that the new MB owners seem to like/want. :D

w0by

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Psystar....

Psystar is not stealing Apple's software in any way unlike most people think. When you purchase a computer from Psystar, they give you a legal, legit, paid for, still sealed in plastic Apple OSX install disk. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Apple fan, but a "Mac Pro" or "Open Pro" as they call it, which is an actual desktop computer not a computer inside of a monitor, is a great idea. Sure wish Apple would have a desktop computer other than a $2799!!! Mac Pro.

ryanplusplus

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Honestly, I don't know. That's just the way it came and that's the price I paid. I guess they could have had a deal going on. I just needed a laptop for the wife, and ordered it.

Sorry about the MagSafe. I got so many replies that everyone is becoming a blur now...

So if that's the laptop for the wife, what do you use?

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
That is what I'd like to know as well.

Simple: all the people who predicted that Psystar was a hoax, a credit card scam, would never ship products, would not be able to support them if they did ship, wouldn't be able to fix issues like a noisy fan, wouldn't be able to upgrade to new OS versions, or would have Apple squash them like a bug whenever it felt like it - were just plain wrong. W-r-o-n-g.

At this point it appears that Apple is unwilling to test its EULA in court, so Psystar's decision to challenge it may have considerable merit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.