Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ZDNet reveals that Apple has amended its lawsuit against Psystar with charges of violations of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The DMCA is a controversial law that criminalizes the act of circumventing copy protection. Apple alleges that Psystar did just that in developing their Mac-compatible Open Computer:
Defendant has manufactured, imported, offered to the public, provided or otherwise trafficked a product, device, component, technology, software, or “code” (”the Circumvention Devices”) that are primarily designed or produced for the purpose of either circumventing Apple’s technological protection measures that effectively control access to Copyrighted Works, or allowing third parties to access Apple’s Copyrighted Works without authorization.
The court documents also confirm that Psystar was actively working on a Mac OS X laptop clone this past October:
On information and belief, in fall 2008, Psystar worked to develop a laptop product that runs Mac OS X and in October, 2008, Psystar announced that it is planning to sell in commerce additional computers, servers, laptops, and/or hard drives that are preinstalled with or which will run a modified, unauthorized, version of Mac OS X operating system, including but not limited to a product referred to on Psystar’s website as the “mobile Open Computer.”
Whether Psystar will release such a product will obviously depend on their ability to successfully defend against this lawsuit from Apple. The lawsuit hasn't prevented Psystar from continuing to sell their desktop Mac clone and release new features such as Blu-ray and additional graphics card support.

Article Link: Psystar Working on Mac Laptop Clone, Apple Files DMCA Charges

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
In the end, Psystar is pretty irrelevant compared to the osx86 project

Nonetheless, I really wish Apple would offer a lower cost desktop. I realize their business model is based on having ridiculously high margins that we all pay for, but I think Apple is really shooting themselves in the foot in terms of their potential market share

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
How on earth are they making enough money to manufacture/design a laptop? Its not like generic laptop parts are easily available...

midwich

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Said it before, but I'm a Mac user since the late '80's and as far as I'm concerned Jan 6th is High Noon for Apple hardware. If we get more of the same and no midrange tower or equivalent, it's a Psystar for me on Jan 7th. Actually, if there's no Mac mini update it'll be two Psystars. It genuinely pains me to say all this, but I'm not kidding. Still keeping my fingers crossed though - going down the Psystar route would not be a happy day for me.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This is what I believe Apple will do:

Drain every last cent from Psystar with legal fees
Get them shut down
Get as many people responsible personally fined
Then release their own xMac that would have killed Psystar's offerings anyway, had they not been sued into oblivion. :p

Said it before, but I'm a Mac user since the late '80's and as far as I'm concerned Jan 6th is High Noon for Apple hardware. If we get more of the same and no midrange tower or equivalent, it's a Psystar for me on Jan 7th. Actually, if there's no Mac mini update it'll be two Psystars. It genuinely pains me to say all this, but I'm not kidding.

I hate to see you go... but you will, if this is your ultimatum.

midwich

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
I'd really love to see the design they've come up with. Then laugh at it.

It seems to me there's at least two kinds of Mac user: one who appears attracted by the design factors, and another who's primarily motivated by OS X and perhaps internals value-for-money. I'm in the latter camp as it happens and so couldn't care less what the Psystars look like. I'm not alone in this attitude either I suspect. Laughing at a product simply on the basis of its looks seems a little silly then, but to each their own I guess.

midwich

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007

Get them shut down
Then release their own xMac that would have killed Psystar's offerings anyway, had they not been sued into oblivion. :p

Not really meant as an ultimatum actually (my bad if so), more an increasingly desperate plea. My current office G4 crashes perhaps three times a day, but I've been holding on until MacWorld SF rather than grab a Psystar. I guess the resulting frustration might be showing through a little too much.

Oh: the EULA thing is not legally binding, and so I don't think there'd ever be the slightest question of Psystar's customers being fined. The EULA could well be ILLEGAL actually in many countries in the world if challenged, including perhaps my own.

PS All Apple really has to do to destroy Psystar is to release hardware that people want. Problem solved, everyone happy (except Psystar). Not hard, one would have thought.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Said it before, but I'm a Mac user since the late '80's and as far as I'm concerned Jan 6th is High Noon for Apple hardware. If we get more of the same and no midrange tower or equivalent, it's a Psystar for me on Jan 7th. Actually, if there's no Mac mini update it'll be two Psystars. It genuinely pains me to say all this, but I'm not kidding. Still keeping my fingers crossed though - going down the Psystar route would not be a happy day for me.
So I'm not missing anything, the Psystar works fine, it's just cheaper, right? If that is the case then I agree; if apple doesn't release something with much value, why NOT get a Psystar? Who the hell cares if someone gets an "unauthorized" mac? Hate to see someone "go"? Where are we going? Seems like that 80's commercial where that woman smashed the screen of the talking head (i'm tired enough to not look it up)... I'm happy to go and use a mac on unauthorized hardware. Who gives a crap. Calm down people.

And for the people who act like AAPL is affected by them, get a grip on reality. Psystar is being made an example of, they aren't actually bringing the stock price down enough to cry about it.

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
I found it hilarious that Psystar was selling Hackintosh servers. Any sysadmin who buys one for his/her company should be shot. Great, a server that is hacked and has no real support options! Perfect!

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
So I'm not missing anything, the Psystar works fine, it's just cheaper, right? If that is the case then I agree; if apple doesn't release something with much value, why NOT get a Psystar? Who the hell cares if someone gets an "unauthorized" mac? Hate to see someone "go"? Where are we going? Seems like that 80's commercial where that woman smashed the screen of the talking head (i'm tired enough to not look it up)... I'm happy to go and use a mac on unauthorized hardware. Who gives a crap. Calm down people.

And for the people who act like AAPL is affected by them, get a grip on reality. Psystar is being made an example of, they aren't actually bringing the stock price down enough to cry about it.
Because a Psystar may be a dead end. What if Snow Leopard includes additional bits and pieces that mean your Psystar is stuck on Leopard for the forseeable future? What about real support, especially if Psystar will go byebye? You wont be getting OS support, that's for sure. There are far too many loose, dangling ends with Psystar for me to even think of getting one. If I want a Hackintosh, I'll build one myself as more of a hobby machine. I would NEVER use a Hackie as a production/main computer.

macnvrbck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
Because a Psystar may be a dead end. What if Snow Leopard includes additional bits and pieces that mean your Psystar is stuck on Leopard for the forseeable future? What about real support, especially if Psystar will go byebye? You wont be getting OS support, that's for sure. There are far too many loose, dangling ends with Psystar for me to even think of getting one. If I want a Hackintosh, I'll build one myself as more of a hobby machine. I would NEVER use a Hackie as a production/main computer.

I don't know much about these Hackintosh's but...

So the computer is stuck using Leopard... for $500, who cares?

jrrdnx

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2008
Indiana
It seems to me there's at least two kinds of Mac user: one who appears attracted by the design factors, and another who's primarily motivated by OS X and perhaps internals value-for-money. I'm in the latter camp as it happens and so couldn't care less what the Psystars look like. I'm not alone in this attitude either I suspect. Laughing at a product simply on the basis of its looks seems a little silly then, but to each their own I guess.

I guess I'm a little of both. I've used Windows since 3.1 up until last week when I bought the new MBP 'cause I just couldn't take the stress/headaches of dealing with Winblows anymore. In that sense OS X and its security and reliability drew me in. But the design factor is a big factor also, although it sounds stupid to say. I was disappointed when the 17" wasn't refreshed in October, and talked myself down to the low-end 15" to justify getting the new 24" led-backlit ACD. Beautiful system, and haven't had a single problem running it even though it hasn't had a break yet.

I'm surprised Psystar hasn't caved in: I can't see them winning anything here. But I guess they do have to sell as much as possible so they at least make some money to pay those legal fees. I'd at least stop the R&D on the laptops, though. I see bad things in Psystar's future.

icoffee

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008

Get them shut down

I completely agree. Psystar really didn't offer a performance benefit or substantial cost savings when compared to apple's current offerings. Citing the "need" for a mid-range tower really is a poor excuse for breaking the eulaand copy protection measures as many of the so named reasons for doing so can also be accomplished with upgrades to the hardware or peripherals. While video cards can't be upgraded in iMacs or macbooks, you do get what you pay for. If I pay for a ford, that doesn't give me the right to go steal a Ferrari engine no matter how overpriced I think the ford might have been.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I would NEVER use a Hackie as a production/main computer.

You wouldn't want to use it on a business machine, since the business is in the crosshairs of the BSA -- whereas an individual at home isn't.

Basically the business is required to abide by the software licensing agreements, or a single angry customer or employee can get the company audited.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I found it hilarious that Psystar was selling Hackintosh servers. Any sysadmin who buys one for his/her company should be shot. Great, a server that is hacked and has no real support options! Perfect!

Should be shot, that's a bit of an extream reaction isn't it. I mean in the country I live in you don't even get that for murder.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK

"Apple gets plenty of small things wrong, but one big thing it gets right: when you use a device every day, you cannot help, as a human being, but have an emotional relationship with it. It’s true of cars and cookers, and it’s true of computers. It’s true of office blocks and houses, and it’s true of mobiles and satnavs. A grey box is not good enough, clunky and ugly is not good enough. Sick building syndrome exists, and so does sick hand-held device syndrome. Fiddly buttons, blocky icons, sickeningly stupid nested menus - these are the enemy. They waste time, militate against function and lower the spirits. They make the user feel frustrated and (quite wrongly) dense. Mechanisms so devilishly, stunningly, jaw-dropping clever as the kind our world can now furnish us with are No Good Whatsoever if they don’t also bring a smile to our face, if they don’t make us want to stroke, touch, fondle, fiddle, gurgle, purr and coo. Interacting with a digital device should be like interacting with a baby."

Stephen Fry

efixusa

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
There's an alternative to Psystar and Apple.....

In less than two weeks. Cheaper hardware, not illegal, faster than a Mac Pro and half the price of one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.