Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
MS gives me what i want. An OS that works on whatever hardware i feel like buying that day. Apple wouldnt have a problem if their hardware were competitive with the rest of the market. I know the fanboys practically worship apple's exorbitantly prices laptops, but the truth is that pretty much every other hardware manufacturer has lower prices and better performance. Therefore we have osx86, so we arent stuck using overpriced computers.

Apple gives me what I want. Funny how that works.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Then you can be happy buying overpriced hardware while those who dont can use osx86. I guess after you spend so much time on a mac you get used to Apple making all the choices for you.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
MS gives me what i want. An OS that works on whatever hardware i feel like buying that day. Apple wouldnt have a problem if their hardware were competitive with the rest of the market. I know the fanboys practically worship apple's exorbitantly prices laptops,

If Microsoft gives you what you want, why use OS X at all?

but the truth is that pretty much every other hardware manufacturer has lower prices and better performance.

But they don't have OS X, which you obviously value.

Therefore we have osx86, so we arent stuck using overpriced computers.

What a wonderful justification to take what does not belong to you. :rolleyes: What gives you the right to use an unlicensed version of OS X, just because you think it is too expensive to obtain it legally? We're not talking about food here!

TechHistorian

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2002
Ivory Tower
Then you can be happy buying overpriced hardware while those who dont can use osx86. I guess after you spend so much time on a mac you get used to Apple making all the choices for you.

And why should that be different from any other mass consumer market? Ford doesn't offer a wide variety of choices for its cars (most models offer a choice between, at most, two engines). Nor does Honda. Yes, there are enthusiasts who want to tinker with what comes stock and get more HP out of their ride. Same with computers. But most consumers are content to simply buy and then use what they bought. There's not a large aftermarket for refrigerator accessories, after all. This was Jobs' vision of the Mac twenty-five years ago, and it has not changed all that much since then. And Apple really seems to have captured the "appliance" market what with its visual style and its ease of use. There's a reason Linux is used mostly by enthusiasts and Windows and OS X are used by the masses ... most people just want to use their machine, not tinker with it.

ogbuke

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
MS gives me what i want. An OS that works on whatever hardware i feel like buying that day. Apple wouldnt have a problem if their hardware were competitive with the rest of the market. I know the fanboys practically worship apple's exorbitantly prices laptops, but the truth is that pretty much every other hardware manufacturer has lower prices and better performance. Therefore we have osx86, so we arent stuck using overpriced computers.
If Microsoft gives you what you want, what are you doing on a board about Apple and OSX? :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Only in your opinion. If a company sells a product you like at a price you are willing to pay, it is not overpriced, by definition. If you dislike either the product or the price, or both, your option it to not buy it.

If Microsoft gives you what you want, what are you doing on a board about Apple and OSX? :rolleyes:

Now, isn't that the real question?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
If Microsoft gives you what you want, why use OS X at all?

But they don't have OS X, which you obviously value.

What a wonderful justification to take what does not belong to you. :rolleyes: What gives you the right to use an unlicensed version of OS X, just because you think it is too expensive to obtain it legally? We're not talking about food here!
Who says i didnt pay for a license of osx? Thats a bit presumptuous of you now isnt it?

You guys are funny. Well, all fanboys are, but im bored so ill entertain your questions.

There are several reasons i use osx (or more specifically osx86):
• It is always a good idea to familiarize oneself with various operating systems. I am by no means a guru, but i can confidently operate in windows, os x, and various popular linux distros.
• Im kind of a nerd, so when i heard that i could get osx running on a pc i joined the party.
• Im a musician and nothing is as easy as Garageband at arranging pieces. Honestly, GB is the only mac-specific program i use. Everything else has a windows version.
• Theres a certain 'cool-factor' about running osx on a pc. Granted, its equally a 'nerd-factor' but its better than the stigma of arrogance mac users get stamped on their forehead due to idiot college kids who buy a mac because it looks cool or all their friends have one or 'it leik has no virusezzzz!!!!11337"

On another note, im glad to see how kind the 'apple community' is when someone criticizes their precious gifts from the god that is Steve Jobs. I guess you have to defend spending 2x as much on a mac as you would on a pc somehow, right?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
One thing I've learned from forums like this, is when someone uses the term "fanboy" it means they really haven't got any argument at all.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Im a musician and nothing is as easy as Garageband at arranging pieces. Honestly, GB is the only mac-specific program i use. Everything else has a windows version.

Does everything else have a Windows version that comes with the computer? That 2x price advantage evaporates quickly when you account for the"everything else" costs.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
To join in on this page of mostly useless comments, I'd like to add and say that I think it's a fair bit easier to get the best written apps for free on the windows platform.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well, the leave to amend the complaint has been granted yesterday, with what looks like an extension for Psystar to respond.

The judge signed Apple's Proposed Order Granting Apple the leave to make the changes and vacated the Jan 8th court date for the hearing about Apple's proposal.

---

Should be interesting to see what Psystar's response will be to the changed complaint.
attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.