Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tehpsyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
I decided to type this up because I finally got this working to my liking. I personally do not enjoy the Gmail iOS app and would much prefer the stock Mail app, especially now that iOS 7 has launched. I did some reading and couldn't find a straightforward answer to see if there was any hope to bringing back push Gmail now that Google has killed off Exchange support. So, using a roundabout approach with some of Outlook.com's newest features, I was able to get a setup working very much to my liking.

You'll need:
  1. Gmail account
  2. Outlook.com account
  3. 10 minutes max

Here we go:
  • Optional Step 0
    From within your Outlook.com account, and merge your gmail account with both send and receive. This will sync all your backlogged email from the gmail account into Outlook.com. If you don't care about your backlogged Gmail contents, skip this. You will still need an outlook.com account though.
    http://imgur.com/MyAEuW0
  • Step 1
    Within Gmail, go to your settings, then Forwarding POP/IMAP, then select the first option and forward your Gmail to your new alias. By doing it this way instead of having outlook.com treat the account as send and receive (which is just a standard POP access that checks at intervals, not push), the emails are forwarded as they are received with only a few seconds of delay compared to push email. Go through all the confirmation steps. Gmail will also mark forwarded emails as 'read' if you desire. Because of the way Gmail handles forwarding, your emails will still report as being sent to the gmail, and be from the original sender, not sent to your outlook and from your gmail, like you'd expect with a normal email forward.
    http://imgur.com/4rEs1tn
  • Step 2
    Within outlook, go to Options > Rules for Sorting New Messages
    Add a new rule for sorting that says:
    To or CC line | Contains | YourGmail@gmail.com > Destination
    It should look something like this:
    http://imgur.com/pKiF1Bf
    This step is only necessary if you want to sort your incoming gmail into another folder besides inbox. I prefer this because I have multiple gmail accounts this single outlook.com account will be handling.
  • Step 3
    Add your Gmail account as a send only to Outlook.com
    http://imgur.com/qG4fAZy
  • Step 4
    Setup your Outlook.com account on your iOS device
    http://imgur.com/SH4Xlgt
    Make sure to enable push notifications for the newly created folders (Inbox is the only one enabled by default). Your final result should look something like this.
    http://imgur.com/Y0zFxxt

So there's your strange way of making a Google service work on an Apple product using a Microsoft service. (Though to be fair emulating exchange support, the old solution, was not really any different). The shortcomings are that you can't change the send from address within the mail app, it uses whichever you set on Outlook.com. But its a good way to get push email without having to use the Gmail app!

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve upon this, let me know. Or if anything is particularly unclear I'll be happy to fix it.

UPDATE: This should work just fine with iCloud too, but iCloud doesn't have the send-as feature/simplicity that outlook.com has. You'll have to manually configure your smtp settings to use gmail's servers instead, but it should work.

Last edited:

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
I decided to type this up because I finally got this working to my liking. I personally do not enjoy the Gmail iOS app and would much prefer the stock Mail app, especially now that iOS 7 has launched. I did some reading and couldn't find a straightforward answer to see if there was any hope to bringing back push Gmail now that Google has killed off Exchange support. So, using a roundabout approach with some of Outlook.com's newest features, I was able to get a setup working very much to my liking.

You'll need:
  1. Gmail account
  2. Outlook.com account
  3. 10 minutes max

Here we go:
  • Optional Step 0
    From within your Outlook.com account, and merge your gmail account with both send and receive. This will sync all your backlogged email from the gmail account into Outlook.com. If you don't care about your backlogged Gmail contents, skip this. You will still need an outlook.com account though.
    http://imgur.com/MyAEuW0
  • Step 1
    Within Gmail, go to your settings, then Forwarding POP/IMAP, then select the first option and forward your Gmail to your new alias. By doing it this way instead of having outlook.com treat the account as send and receive (which is just a standard POP access that checks at intervals, not push), the emails are forwarded as they are received with only a few seconds of delay compared to push email. Go through all the confirmation steps. Gmail will also mark forwarded emails as 'read' if you desire. Because of the way Gmail handles forwarding, your emails will still report as being sent to the gmail, and be from the original sender, not sent to your outlook and from your gmail, like you'd expect with a normal email forward.
    http://imgur.com/4rEs1tn
  • Step 2
    Within outlook, go to Options > Rules for Sorting New Messages
    Add a new rule for sorting that says:
    To or CC line | Contains | YourGmail@gmail.com > Destination
    It should look something like this:
    http://imgur.com/pKiF1Bf
    This step is only necessary if you want to sort your incoming gmail into another folder besides inbox. I prefer this because I have multiple gmail accounts this single outlook.com account will be handling.
  • Step 3
    Add your Gmail account as a send only to Outlook.com
    http://imgur.com/qG4fAZy
  • Step 4
    Setup your Outlook.com account on your iOS device, making sure to enable push notifications for the newly created folders (Inbox is the only one enabled by default). Your final result should look something like this.

So there's your strange way of making a Google service work on an Apple product using a Microsoft service. (Though to be fair emulating exchange support, the old solution, was not really any different). The shortcomings are that you can't change the send from address within the mail app, it uses whichever you set on Outlook.com. But its a good way to get push email without having to use the Gmail app!

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve upon this, let me know. Or if anything is particularly unclear I'll be happy to fix it.

Wow. I don't have any suggestions on how to improve upon this but just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this. VERY helpful.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
[*]Step 4
Setup your Outlook.com account on your iOS device, making sure to enable push notifications for the newly created folders (Inbox is the only one enabled by default). Your final result should look something like this.
[/LIST]

How do you add an outlook.com account to an iPhone as an exchange account? Are there instructions somewhere?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do you add an outlook.com account to an iPhone as an exchange account? Are there instructions somewhere?
When you select Outlook as the account it's added as an Exchange account.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Nice write up. I tried to do this last week and after spending hours, could not get gmail to forward to outlook.com. It would forward to other addresses but not outlook.com. In the end, I just subscribed to google business apps and did what amounts to the same thing. Except I am paying $5/month whereas outlook.com is free.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
I tried that when I had ios6. It would forward from gmail to my outlook, but the time it took to register that I got new mail took anywhere from 2-14minutes. And when I replied to one of those emails, it sent it from outlook email address.

Tehpsyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
I tried that when I had ios6. It would forward from gmail to my outlook, but the time it took to register that I got new mail took anywhere from 2-14minutes. And when I replied to one of those emails, it sent it from outlook email address.

2-14 minutes sound like it was set up with POP fetch in outlook, not push. And if you set it up as per the instructions you'll get, at least in my testing, near instant email arrival. And mail sent from the iOS mail app comes from my gmail account, not outlook. Maybe this is an iOS 7 fix, but I suspect it has more to do with setting up Outlook in a specific way since most of this takes place on Microsoft's servers.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
1. Create outlook.com account
2. Auto forward your gmail to outlook.com. This way you don't need to wait outlook.com to use POP protocol to fetch your email from gmail every 3 minutes. Auto forward is instant
3. In outlook.com, create send only account linked to your gmail
4. In outlook.com settings set default send from as your gmail email address
5. Setup your iphone as outlook.com

Doing this since gmail drop their support for EAS for free customer.

Tehpsyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
1. Create outlook.com account
2. Auto forward your gmail to outlook.com. This way you don't need to wait outlook.com to use POP protocol to fetch your email from gmail every 3 minutes. Auto forward is instant
5. Setup your iphone as outlook.com

Doing this since gmail drop their support for EAS for free customer.

Good tl;dr summary

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
Ok. I think I redid it all over again. I can send a test email to my gmail, and pretty much forwards to my outlook.com account. on my phone, it dings right away (yay!) as a email in my outlook.com inbox.
BUT
when I click reply, it has in the FROM: name@outlook.com
Not my name@gmail.com
What step did I miss?

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Ok. I think I redid it all over again. I can send a test email to my gmail, and pretty much forwards to my outlook.com account. on my phone, it dings right away (yay!) as a email in my outlook.com inbox.
BUT
when I click reply, it has in the FROM: name@outlook.com
Not my name@gmail.com
What step did I miss?
Did you add your Gmail as a send only account in Outlook? Also, make sure you set it as your default from address.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
I believe so. In gmail settings, under "Forwarding and POP/IMAP", I enabled forwarding to name@gmail.com.
Next line I have no "dots" for pop-download.
Next line I have Enable IMAP

in outlook.com settings, under "Your email accounts" I have my Microsoft account "name@outlook.com send/recieve"
And I have Accounts you've added, account "name@gmail.com" send only.
if I click on edit. name is my name, email address is name@gmail.com. outgoing server information: server address: smtp.gmail.com port: 465, checked is requires secure connection. Username is my "name" in name@gmail.com, and passwords is all dotted.
Default "from" address says :name@gmail.com

So I get the email in outlook.com right away, and my iphone bings to tell me I got new mail. But if I click reply, it replies using name@outlook.com as that is what my iphone outlook.com is setup with. Even if I tried to change it, it only shows my @me.com, @icloud.com and @outlook.com email addresses. There is none for @gmail.com.

On a side note, if I use outlook to move my gmail to a gmail folder, my iphone will bing, show me the preview of the email. but my mail icon won't have the "1" in the corner to say I got 1 new message.
If I don't move my gmail mail and just let it go to my outlook.com inbox, I will get the icon notification number.

Did you add your Gmail as a send only account in Outlook? Also, make sure you set it as your default from address.

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Why not just take your business to outlook.com instead? Just set a default reply on gmail saying something like "Because gmail does not deliver the functionality I need anymore, I have decided to change my primary email address to <name>@outlook.com. Please update your address list accordingly."

Using this workaround, you're more or less 'rewarding' Google for taking away a core functionality.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
Meh. Too many people have my gmail.

Why not just take your business to outlook.com instead? Just set a default reply on gmail saying something like "Because gmail does not deliver the functionality I need anymore, I have decided to change my primary email address to <name>@outlook.com. Please update your address list accordingly."

Using this workaround, you're more or less 'rewarding' Google for taking away a core functionality.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
Oh sweet I got it to work!

I did everything above BUT move my name@gmail.com to it's own subfolder in outlook.com.
AND
I created a alias in outlook.com under "Aliases: manage or choose a primary" and I made one called name@gmail.com with my OUTLOOK password.
So now, under "Your email accounts" I have my accounts you've added, just like before. Under Outlook aliases, theres one called: name (on behalf of name@gmail.com and <blank> for send and receive.
In my iphone, I created a outlook.com account this time using my alias name@gmail.com with my OUTLOOK password (not gmail), iphone checked it off as being valid.

Now from the time I get a email in gmail, in under 15secs I get the email notification on my iphone and I can reply to it and it uses my name@gmail.com.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012

I did everything above BUT move my name@gmail.com to it's own subfolder in outlook.com.
AND
I created a alias in outlook.com under "Aliases: manage or choose a primary" and I made one called name@gmail.com with my OUTLOOK password.
So now, under "Your email accounts" I have my accounts you've added, just like before. Under Outlook aliases, theres one called: name (on behalf of name@gmail.com and <blank> for send and receive.
In my iphone, I created a outlook.com account this time using my alias name@gmail.com with my OUTLOOK password (not gmail), iphone checked it off as being valid.

Now from the time I get a email in gmail, in under 15secs I get the email notification on my iphone and I can reply to it and it uses my name@gmail.com.

Did you setup smtp as well for send only account? If not your email will have something like 'on behalf'

Make sure these steps applied to your setup

Tehpsyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011

AND

This step isn't actually needed, and probably serves no functional purpose. I suspect your email was actually working like it was supposed to already. If you can send an email from outlook.com to someone and they see it as coming from gmail, then you should be good to go (no iPhone involved in that test). I think the confusion comes from the fact that even though your 'from' field on the iPHone when sending an email indicates its from your outlook.com email, its actually going to appear to be sent from your gmail account (assuming you've setup outlook.com to use your gmail as the default send-from address).

The way this works is that your newly composed mail made on the iPhone is sent to outlook.com's servers, then its passed to gmails smtp servers, where it ultimately is sent to its destination. While you could manually reconfigure your smtp servers on the iPhone directly, it seemed like a less clean solution than simply letting outlook handle it.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
I understand how this works to push the new mail through instantly, but how does it work when you delete or read a mail message? Does that change go through instantly as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.