Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I have my Gmail forwarding to my iCloud. Because my replies are from iCloud now, and for some people it's confusing, so they send me emails to both iCloud and Gmail. This means I get two emails in iCloud. Here's a workaround for this issue, if it happens to affect you too. Obviously it can work for Outlook forwarding too.

1. Go to Gmail > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP
2. Disable forwarding.
3. Go to Settings > Filters
4. Add a new filter
5. Put "-youraccount@icloud.com" in the To field, without the quotes but including the minus sign. This means any emails you receive in Gmail that aren't also being sent to your iCloud account.
6. Click Continue and select 'Forward it to': youraccount@icloud.com
7. Tick anything else you might like, such as 'Mark as read'
8. Save
9. Test it out!

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Google is annoying with their stupid push to Android. I'm not moving to android just to use push gmail.

People, go over nuevasync.com and get exchange push email for Gmail. It costs 20 bucks a year (approx, I don't really remember now).

eazych

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Zurich
Not only email - calender, contacts as well. Using it for 2 months now and still enjoying seamless integration.

However, if one does not want to spend money there is the chance to get push via another workaround:

Jailbreak your device, download the gmail app (free) and install "push for gmail" on the Cydia repo.

You might want to read this:
http://cydia.nopperssoftware.com/pushforgmail/

However, from now on you depend on jailbreaks...

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Google is annoying with their stupid push to Android. I'm not moving to android just to use push gmail.

People, go over nuevasync.com and get exchange push email for Gmail. It costs 20 bucks a year (approx, I don't really remember now).

The other options are too hackish for me. I'm going to give this service a go. It's $30/yr.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Question for people using nuevasync. Does it work exactly like gmail on exchange used to work? No weird problems or consequences of using it? Any extra battery drain?

Or just pure push goodness exactly the way it's supposed to be?

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Question for people using nuevasync. Does it work exactly like gmail on exchange used to work? No weird problems or consequences of using it? Any extra battery drain?

Or just pure push goodness exactly the way it's supposed to be?

So far so good. I can't comment on battery life because I just got my 5S yesterday so I have no baseline.

But as far as receiving and sending email as well as deleting everything works just as it used to. Seems worth $2.50 a month or whatever it works out to. The other free options just weren't doing it for me.

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
So far so good. I can't comment on battery life because I just got my 5S yesterday so I have no baseline.

But as far as receiving and sending email as well as deleting everything works just as it used to. Seems worth $2.50 a month or whatever it works out to. The other free options just weren't doing it for me.

Just got the trail for nuevasync too. I'm just wondering if you guys know how safe it is. I mean do they have access to your email content? It uses oauth while hooking up to your gmail but im not sure what kind of access they have to the content of your email. If you or anyone one else knows how it works please enlighten me! thanks

tacrita0

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
FROM field

I migrated from gmail to outlook.com and I set to send and receive new email from my gmail address. I set outlook.com account in my iPhone as default account, but when I send a new message from my iPhone (not from web page), the recipient seen in the "From" field, my email address instead of my full name.
I want that "From" field to show my name, not my email address.
Can someone help me, please.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.