Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brewing

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
I just ordered the Ripjaw, 4x8g 1866 from Jet. See what it runs when I get the new rig next wed...
I got mine. Installed all 4x8g and can confirm it works and was running at 1866 without problems. Can't complain at $125 for 32GB of RAM.

Reactions: VZGuy

kaunosario

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
Considering that is EXACTLY what I have in my iMac now (ordered from Amazon when it was only $90, now jumped to 130), I think they are mistaken! They do have a memory that is similar with better timings. Not that it will make much difference. I've mixed it with my Apple RAM and all is fine.

I asked again and here's what Crucial wrote back: "Most Ballistix modules do not have typical memory latencies and voltages that Apple systems use and unfortunately Apple systems can be a bit picky. Its possible the Ballistix parts will work, but we cannot guarantee it."

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
I asked again and here's what Crucial wrote back: "Most Ballistix modules do not have typical memory latencies and voltages that Apple systems use and unfortunately Apple systems can be a bit picky. Its possible the Ballistix parts will work, but we cannot guarantee it."
Yes, but it works fine and I know others are using it as well. The main thing is that it has to be 1.35 volts (or often listed as DDR3L). The speed should be 1886 (or sometimes rounded to 1887) -- though different speeds, lower and higher will work. It must be an SODIMM (laptop sized). If you're worried, just make sure you order from a place with a solid return policy.

kaunosario

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
Yes, but it works fine and I know others are using it as well. The main thing is that it has to be 1.35 volts (or often listed as DDR3L). The speed should be 1886 (or sometimes rounded to 1887) -- though different speeds, lower and higher will work. It must be an SODIMM (laptop sized). If you're worried, just make sure you order from a place with a solid return policy.

That's precisely what I plan to do. Thanks for the advice.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Is OWC a reputable company for ram? Looks like private label stuff.

Never bought ram before, just curious if I should go with the 'name brand' crucial or OWC... Will it make any difference?

I've bought RAM from them for three different Macs, including for the 5K iMac (2014 edition). Solid performance. They are legit.

dud3tt3

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015
Melbourne
i just placed an order with PC Case Gear for Kingston HyperX Impact HX318LS11IBK2/16 (2x8GB) DDR3L SODIMM. I was going to get OWC RAM from Macfixit however it's too expensive (twice the price of the Kingston)! I plan to remove the current stock RAM from the iMac and just run with the 16gig for now. Is everyone finding the apple ram is installed in alternate slots, or consecutive ones?

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Mine were in alternate slots, so when I removed them, I put my new 2133 2x8Gb in the same slots. Don't know if it makes any difference though.

dljor

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
In reality, how much difference does it make if the frequency drops to 1600 MHz?

VZGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
My 4x8g ripjaws are scheduled to be delivered on thursday, just got my late 27" today. Ill post when i get them in.

dud3tt3

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2015
Melbourne
i just placed an order with PC Case Gear for Kingston HyperX Impact HX318LS11IBK2/16 (2x8GB) DDR3L SODIMM. I was going to get OWC RAM from Macfixit however it's too expensive (twice the price of the Kingston)! I plan to remove the current stock RAM from the iMac and just run with the 16gig for now. Is everyone finding the apple ram is installed in alternate slots, or consecutive ones?

well.. my RAM arrived this arvo and install all done (the ram was in alternate slots)....not sure whether i will bother selling the 2 x 4gig sticks..

nkarafo

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2015
When placing the RAM, do we have to consider something in the slots? For example we put the Apple's together in the first top and second and then the other two below or it doesn't matter ? Alternate or straight one after the other? Does it perform better ?

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
In reality, how much difference does it make if the frequency drops to 1600 MHz?
I did some tests and found that video encoding with ffmpeg was about 1.8% slower with 1600 MHz RAM compared to 1867 MHz. Like I said in that post, it's probably not the most memory-intensive test, but it is the longest running task I do on a regular basis, so it would give me the most noticeable benefit from any speed improvement.

A mere 1.8% wasn't enough for me to justify buying a second set of RAM (2x8GB) to match speeds at 1867 MHz. Though sometimes I do think about doing it anyway... :D

fredmant

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
Northcoast, any reason the Kingston Impact over any others?

Someone on the discussion comments after the ARStech review of the 4.0 imac said if you don't buy 1866 CL13 and use CL11, the mac will force it down to 1600. He was not clear if that was when combined with the 8 Gig that comes with the imac (for a total of 24 gig) or did he mean even if you pull the memory apple gives you and replace it with 2 or 4 sticks of CL11, the iMac will clock it down to 1600 unless it is CL13.

thanks

Excellent thread here. I am in the same position.... Which brand is best
Here is what I have found from Amazon.CA
Can someone tell me that both of these are absolutely compatible.

Crucial Ballistix Sport SODIMM 16GB Kit 8GBx2 DDR3 1866 MT/s PC3-14900 CL10 at 1.35V 204-Pin Memory BLS2K8G3N18AES4

And

Kingston Impact SODIMM - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR3L 1866MHz CL11 SODIMM - 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) - DDR3L SDRAM - 1866 MHz - 1.35 V - Unbuffered - SoDIMM

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

VZGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
My 4x8g ripjaws are scheduled to be delivered on thursday, just got my late 27" today. Ill post when i get them in.

Got the Ripjaw's in, all 32gb good to go at 1867MHz, Great Deal for $138

Hangs

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Midlands UK
Having followed this, and other related threads, closely, I decided to order 32GB of Kingston 2133MHz RAM. In the cold light of day, I am beginning to wonder whether I have done the right thing? Is there any conceivable way that this RAM could damage an I7 IMac - either in the short or longer term? Does use of this RAM pose any potential Applecare warranty issues? I may be worrying un-necessarily but I am somewhat out of my comfort zone. Thanks.

Boost3devo

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2015
When placing the RAM, do we have to consider something in the slots? For example we put the Apple's together in the first top and second and then the other two below or it doesn't matter ? Alternate or straight one after the other? Does it perform better ?

Does anyone have the answer for this? my hyper 16gb 1866 kit arrived today and I want to know how i should install it, alternate leaving 8gb apple ram were it is or 1-2 apple and 3-4 kingston.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Having followed this, and other related threads, closely, I decided to order 32GB of Kingston 2133MHz RAM. In the cold light of day, I am beginning to wonder whether I have done the right thing? Is there any conceivable way that this RAM could damage an I7 IMac - either in the short or longer term? Does use of this RAM pose any potential Applecare warranty issues? I may be worrying un-necessarily but I am somewhat out of my comfort zone. Thanks.
The only thing you should be worried about is spending money you didn't have to. Very, very few people will benefit from more than 16GB of RAM and fewer still from faster than stock speeds. As long as the RAM is 1.35v (also labeled as SDRAM 3L) and an SODIMM (laptop) form factor, there is no risk to your computer. Just make sure there is no static electricity around when you install it (shag carpet for example) and unplug the computer! If it is the wrong RAM, your computer simply won't boot.

Hangs

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Midlands UK
The only thing you should be worried about is spending money you didn't have to. Very, very few people will benefit from more than 16GB of RAM and fewer still from faster than stock speeds. As long as the RAM is 1.35v (also labeled as SDRAM 3L) and an SODIMM (laptop) form factor, there is no risk to your computer. Just make sure there is no static electricity around when you install it (shag carpet for example) and unplug the computer! If it is the wrong RAM, your computer simply won't boot.

Thanks for the reassurance.

montage88

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Hi everyone,
My iMac 27" just arrived today. I swapped out the original 8GB of ram with 32GB of HyperX 2133mhz (HX321LS11IB2K2/16). When i turned iMac on, it just kept booting up. If I took out 2 sticks of 8GB ram, it was running fine. Anyone can help me on this problem? Thanks!

Hangs

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
Midlands UK
Hi everyone,
My iMac 27" just arrived today. I swapped out the original 8GB of ram with 32GB of HyperX 2133mhz (HX321LS11IB2K2/16). When i turned iMac on, it just kept booting up. If I took out 2 sticks of 8GB ram, it was running fine. Anyone can help me on this problem? Thanks!

I took delivery of my iMac on Tuesday and I replaced the Apple RAM with 32GB of the Hyper kit that you have. No issues whatsoever. I assume that you have tried booting the Mac with the Apple RAM to rule out any Apple issues? If you chat to Kingston, they will also confirm that the RAM that you have is legitimate. I rang them just to be on the safe side and they checked the revision number for me etc.

montage88

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
I took delivery of my iMac on Tuesday and I replaced the Apple RAM with 32GB of the Hyper kit that you have. No issues whatsoever. I assume that you have tried booting the Mac with the Apple RAM to rule out any Apple issues? If you chat to Kingston, they will also confirm that the RAM that you have is legitimate. I rang them just to be on the safe side and they checked the revision number for me etc.
Thanks for your reply!
I did try booting with Apple Ram with no issues. Even mixed Apple Ram with Kingston Ram, no issue too. But as long as I put all 4 sticks of Kingston Ram, iMac won't boot up. Bad luck for me :(

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Thanks for your reply!
I did try booting with Apple Ram with no issues. Even mixed Apple Ram with Kingston Ram, no issue too. But as long as I put all 4 sticks of Kingston Ram, iMac won't boot up. Bad luck for me :(
Did you try booting with one of the two Kingston sets separately? It sounds like one of the four sticks may have a problem, and it's just a matter of trial and error to figure out which one it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.