Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Black Screen Crash #3 happened a few minutes ago. Soon as it came back up, I went into the logs again. NOTHING. The last log was at 8:40 PM, crash happened at 8:53 PM, next entry was 8:55 PM when the reboot started. Sigh.

And my two weeks are officially up as of tonight (for returning it). Guess it's time to start harassing Apple.

Rob

dogmusic

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Ontario
Is this what you are talking about? -

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: Mac mini
UID: 0x0001000D1961D3E0
Firmware Version: 14.1
Port:
Link Status: 0x101
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.11.9

If so, negative.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Much appreciated.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
Okay, since I don't post as much before, I'll post more of it this time:

Thunderbolt Bus:

UID: 0x0001000D196809A0
Port:
Link Status: 0x2
Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.18
Cable Serial Number: C4M131630LNDNWFAT

(I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display connected, and a Samsung 24" on the HDMI port)

Rob

dogmusic

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Ontario
Okay, since I don't post as much before, I'll post more of it this time:

Thunderbolt Bus:

UID: 0x0001000D196809A0
Port:
Link Status: 0x2
Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.18
Cable Serial Number: C4M131630LNDNWFAT

(I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display connected, and a Samsung 24" on the HDMI port)

Rob

So does that mean that the Mac Mini Thunderbolt Port only recognizes a device connected when it is to another Thunderbolt Port?

Is that why in my setup where the Thunderbolt Port is connected to a DVI-D input the Status shows "No device connected"?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Black Screen Crash #3 happened a few minutes ago. Soon as it came back up, I went into the logs again. NOTHING. The last log was at 8:40 PM, crash happened at 8:53 PM, next entry was 8:55 PM when the reboot started. Sigh.

And my two weeks are officially up as of tonight (for returning it). Guess it's time to start harassing Apple.

Rob

It's currently during Apple's holiday return policy so you actually have until January 7th 2013 to return it.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund#policy

Extended Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between October 27, 2012 and December 25, 2012, may be returned through January 7, 2013. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store are still applicable. This holiday return policy does not apply to iPhone or wireless service contracts. All purchases made after December 25, 2012 are subject to the standard Apple Online Store return policy , which requires returns to be made within 14 calendar days of the date of receipt. For more information, refer to the Apple Online Store.

eizen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012

Rob

Doesn't this apply to the mac mini:
http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund
Extended Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between October 27, 2012 and December 25, 2012, may be returned through January 7, 2013. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store are still applicable. This holiday return policy does not apply to iPhone or wireless service contracts. All purchases made after December 25, 2012 are subject to the standard Apple Online Store return policy , which requires returns to be made within 14 calendar days of the date of receipt. For more information, refer to the Apple Online Store.

Just another update on mine. I've been using a dual screen setup. One with Mini DP cable and the other with the supplied HDMI adapter. With the adapter there are random black screens and I just got a 3 second snow screen. Nothing happens on the Mini DP cable though.
Still debating if I should return it ~_~

simon.hibbs

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Quick update on my previous post below.

I went to the Apple Store and they can't do an on the spot firmware update, at least not that guy at that store. He just checked for a regular downloadable firmware update which I could have done at home. I'm not sure why the AppleCare guy on the phone sent me to the store. I have all my stuff double backed up so when they asked if they could keep the machine I agreed.

So that was annoying, but I suppose I knew there were report of this issue when I ordered the machine and took a chance. I just hope they roll out the firmware update soon.

Simon Hibbs

Until yesterday I had occasional (once every few days) black screen issues for a second or two, then it would come back and be fine.

Yesterday it black screened twice for extended periods. Once for about an hour and again for 20 minutes.

I called Applecare and went through a system power off and reset process, but it didn't fix the issue so they arranged an appointment for me at an Apple Store to have the firmware updated. The rep said they are working on a software fix, but they already have a firmware fix they can do in-store. The appointment is for Sunday morning, so fingers crossed.

Simon Hibbs

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Just a question: when in a double-screen set up (TB/MDP + HDMI), do the black screens only happen on the HDMI one while the MDP one stays steady?

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Quick update on my previous post below.

I went to the Apple Store and they can't do an on the spot firmware update, at least not that guy at that store. He just checked for a regular downloadable firmware update which I could have done at home. I'm not sure why the AppleCare guy on the phone sent me to the store. I have all my stuff double backed up so when they asked if they could keep the machine I agreed.

So that was annoying, but I suppose I knew there were report of this issue when I ordered the machine and took a chance. I just hope they roll out the firmware update soon.

Simon Hibbs

Thanks for the update, :rolleyes: at Apple!

dogmusic

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Ontario
Yes, everything shows in System Information as it should.

Thanks for checking. And I see that you have a Thunderbolt display.

So again it seems that System Information doesn't show a device connected when plugged in with MDP to DVI-D but only with T-Bolt to T-Bolt.

Last edited:

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Are you having the black screen problem or the "No device connected" problem?

Sorry, black screen / "white noise" screen problem.

Twice now, the Thunderbolt Display has just gone black. The first time it was resolved with a reboot, and the 2nd time I unplugged the Thunderbolt cable and plugged it back in.

Also, the LA2405wg seems to go black / sleep shortly after I start up the Mini. Then if I move the mouse onto that screen, it comes back to life and stays good. Other times, the LA2405wg has just gone to static / white-noise. Power-cycling it brought it back to life.

As an aside, when I connect remotely, the screens appear / display fine on the remote display.

eizen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Just a question: when in a double-screen set up (TB/MDP + HDMI), do the black screens only happen on the HDMI one while the MDP one stays steady?

Yeah I just posted that on this page. I have two 24" Dell displays and the one connected through the hdmi/dvi adapter does the black screens and a snow screen as well. When ever that happens nothing occurs on the Mini Display Port connected display.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
I've gotten the black screen on the Thunderbolt Display a couple times, and the snow screen on the HP Compaq LA2405wg a couple times.

Never both at the same time, but the monitors have been connected the same the entire time.
--

simon.hibbs

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Seriously though, I hope you are right because it's getting annoying and I think intel might produce a fix faster than Apple otherwise might

Intel have admitted it's their problem[1]. Reports vary though as to whether Intel has supplied a fixed firmware update to Apple, but even if they have it may take a while for Apple to wrap it in a downloadable installer (the easy part), test it (the hard part, they won't want to have to do this more than once and they'll want it to work for everyone) and roll it out via software update.

Simon Hibbs

[1] https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1498103/

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Some promising news. A user on the Apple site has confirmed that 10.8.3 will include a fix that addresses this issue. Hopefully the person they spoke to at Apple was correct :)

Jackieeng

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
I was told by Apple sales person that if you bought anything after oct 27, it considered holiday shopping, and extended the return period to Jan 7, 2013. Check with your local Apple store for detail.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I got my new mini last night, plugged it into a dual monitor setup with one on the TB mini displayport->displayport and one on a straight hdmi->hdmi with no flickering issues, the monitor hooked up to the hdmi did however have flat greys and horrible colour reproduction, it's took about 30 minutes of calibration to get it right, but after that it looked fine so it must be a driver issue.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Week and a half old Mac mini here. Here's my report:

I get the "1 second black screen" ONCE every session. Not more, it's always ONE, afterwards it doesn't happen again.

Never saw the "white noise"...until today. It happened a few minutes ago (about 5 minutes after switching it on) and took a while to go away.
After that, as with the black screen, I've been using it without problems.

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
Update-

So I talked to a guy at AppleCare (one with a title, don't remember what it was) and he said I can exchange it (vial mail since it was a CTO) or take it to my local Apple Store.

I called them up, made and appointment and took it down. They kept it over night and then called me to say it was a software issue, not a hardware issue and there is a fix in the works, but it's not ready as of yet.

I assume this is part of 10.8.3, or a Mini-specific firmware update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.