Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Who cares?! I'm talking about phones here.

Again, relevance? :rolleyes:

I didn't say they were struggling. I said they make almost nothing (comparatively speaking) versus Apple when it comes to pure profit on each handset sold. Which leads Apple to invest more in R&D and development and have more incentive to produce a better user experience. Which they have and continue to do.

Who gives a damn about TVs? You are all over the place.

OK, read it and weep

http://www.breakingviews.com/samsung-moves-on-from-japan-to-nibble-at-apple/21014294.article

Samsung, which made its name in televisions, is more of a smartphone company. Phones account for most of its sales, and earnings growth. It sells more of its Galaxy product than Apple does iPhones. Yet Samsung is still turning a profit on everything it makes.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405902,00.asp

Samsung, Apple Nab 90 Percent of Smartphone Profits

Devices from Samsung and Apple captured 50 percent of the global smartphone market in the first quarter - and 90 percent of its profits, according to Friday data from ABI Research.

The real question, ABI said, is whether or not anyone can truly break away and become a strong third contender.

It was more bad news for Nokia and Windows Phone, meanwhile. "At this point in the year, Nokia will have to grow its Windows Phone business 5000 percent in 2012 just to offset its declines in Symbian shipments," Michael Morgan, senior analyst for devices, applications & content at ABI, said in a statement.

For more on that, see Nokia's Deadline Is Now December 2012.

Breaking down the numbers, Samsung shipped 43 million smartphones in the first quarter, followed by Apple at 35 million.

My point is Samsung makes many products and they arent going to make crappy Phones and sacrifice sales their other lines in doing so. Thats bad business so theres your relevance.

Your lame bro...sure they make nothing of relevance...they only make parts for your beloved Apple :rolleyes: Yeah sure looks like Samsung isnt investing into R&D :rolleyes: The GS3 is going to be a big seller here.

Your claims have no merit. Now go away Fanboy!

Last edited:

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Your claims have no merit. Now go away Fanboy!

LOL. The article you presented does neither A) break down the 90% profit figure between Apple / Samsung (Hint: it's about 80-10 in favor of Apple) and B) does not delineate handset sales, only total numbers. We both know that if the numbers were broken down, my claim would be substantiated. That being the vast majority of Android handsets sold are entry level to low-end units.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
LOL. The article you presented does neither A) break down the 90% profit figure between Apple / Samsung (Hint: it's about 80-10 in favor of Apple) and B) does not delineate handset sales, only total numbers. We both know that if the numbers were broken down, my claim would be substantiated. That being the vast majority of Android handsets sold are entry level to low-end units.

:rolleyes: Well lets see your breakdown. Your non article is worse. Refuting with nothing to show isnt doing a thing. I showed you some numbers that took me 30 seconds.

You really have a hard time with a company doing well against Apple dont you? I dont know why. Thats usually the kids that care about that because they arent smart enough to know compitition is good.

I dont have a problem with how many phones Apple sells. I couldnt care less. They are always going to sell even when the phone didnt get much of an upgrade like the 4S and that one was its least best seller because of it but still sold well.

The next one is going to sell very well because of the 4" screen alone but they have big compitition and theres nothing wrong with that. If not for that, you wouldnt be getting a 4" screen.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That being the vast majority of Android handsets sold are entry level to low-end units.

No one can deny that the bulk of android sales are junk phones, which feeds into why android ranks lower in ad impressions, web traffic, and app sales and profits.

They aren't using their phones because their phones are unusable.

Apple users use their devices more often, buy more apps and use more smart phone like features, while android puffs up it's sales numbers with outdated, poorly made fecal phones.

Last edited:

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
:rolleyes: Well lets see your breakdown. Your non article is worse. Refuting with nothing to show isnt doing a thing. I showed you some numbers that took me 30 seconds.

There is no "breakdown" because it seems Android handset vendors aren't too keen releasing figures by handset, with the exception of the high end models. February 2012 the Galaxy S2 hit 20 million sales but that was over a 10-month period. It is difficult to put any concrete figures on it. If the claim of 900,000 new activations (Android) daily is to be believed that would be 27 million per month, 81 million per quarter. Taking out an estimate for the high-end it is pretty easy to figure out -- as I said before -- the majority of sales on Android are entry-level to low-end models. Is it 50%? 60%? 70%? Doesn't really matter does it. It's the majority.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
We both know that if the numbers were broken down, my claim would be substantiated. That being the vast majority of Android handsets sold are entry level to low-end units.

LOL, wrong as usual. Look at the top selling Android devices and they are ALL high end. Galaxy S3, S2, Note, Droid Razr/Maxx, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X/S, Evo 4G, 3D, LTE, HTC Rezound etc...So actually, the vast majority of Android handsets sold are NOT entry level. If you grouped all those low end Android phones together, I doubt they make up even 10% of Androids sold. Nice try though :rolleyes:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
There is no "breakdown" because it seems Android handset vendors aren't too keen releasing figures by handset, with the exception of the high end models. February 2012 the Galaxy S2 hit 20 million sales but that was over a 10-month period. It is difficult to put any concrete figures on it. If the claim of 900,000 new activations (Android) daily is to be believed that would be 27 million per month, 81 million per quarter. Taking out an estimate for the high-end it is pretty easy to figure out -- as I said before -- the majority of sales on Android are entry-level to low-end models. Is it 50%? 60%? 70%? Doesn't really matter does it. It's the majority.

That article said "smartphones". So what you include in that low end, i dont know but doubt they are low end phones and since you arent providing any facts and just going off as usual..............You can keep guessing all day and posting frivolous numbers.

I dont really see why this is an issue for you. Some of you just like to see Apple win and be #1. Well nobody stays #1 forever. Nobody! And Apple is an American company so i like to see them do well (though they have their things made in China).
I have worked at the Apple campus in Cupertino and had conversations with those that worked there. So i dont have any ill will towards Apple at all but this fanboyism is ridiculous.

Samsung and HTC and Motorola make good phones and Android has really taken off. If its not for you , its not for you. There are other choices. I used to use an iPhone and now i dont but i use other Apple products.
I just like Android now for my phone and its many more features but would rather have an iPad if i ever get a Tablet. The screen on the iPad 3 is awesome but no way id spend the $2,200 for the retina display Macbook.

So who is #1 for me is irrelevant and who has the most profit dont matter to me either. HTC, Samsung and Apple are all doing well and making good products. Windows may catch up with some better phones/software so there are choices and that makes everything else better imo.

Last edited:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
LOL, wrong as usual. Look at the top selling Android devices and they are ALL high end. Galaxy S3, S2, Note, Droid Razr/Maxx, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X/S, Evo 4G, 3D, LTE, HTC Rezound etc...So actually, the vast majority of Android handsets sold are NOT entry level. If you grouped all those low end Android phones together, I doubt they make up even 10% of Androids sold. Nice try though :rolleyes:

Depends on the carrier. MetroPCS and MVNOs are selling the low-end stuff like crazy. The contract carriers steer you towards the high end stuff, as the price difference is tiny compared to the rest of the contract and data costs.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Depends on the carrier. MetroPCS and MVNOs are selling the low-end stuff like crazy.

You know this how? You have sales numbers for Metro PCS? Please share them if you do. Ok, well have a look at the Metro PCS lineup of Android phones. Do you see any $30 phones in there? I sure don't. Cheapest is $70 and most are well over $100. As I said in another post, for the last 9 months you can get a 3GS for FREE or an iPhone 4 for $99. So the argument that Android's numbers are rising so fast is because of all the cheap phones is garbage. If people REALLY wanted an iPhone, I am sure they would go for the 3GS or the 4 over an unknown Android phone. Doesn't seem they are though does it?

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/Phones/Android/cat190028

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
You know this how? You have sales numbers for Metro PCS? Please share them if you do. Ok, well have a look at the Metro PCS lineup of Android phones. Do you see any $30 phones in there? I sure don't. Cheapest is $70 and most are well over $100. As I said in another post, for the last 9 months you can get a 3GS for FREE or an iPhone 4 for $99. So the argument that Android's numbers are rising so fast is because of all the cheap phones is garbage. If people REALLY wanted an iPhone, I am sure they would go for the 3GS or the 4 over an unknown Android phone. Doesn't seem they are though does it?

http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/Phones/Android/cat190028

mbell1975, this is another illogical post :(

What's cheaper?

1. A free phone, with a two year contract and $90 monthly fee (cheapest phone plan + cheapest text plan + cheapest data plan, not counting 300MB).

2. A $68 phone, with no contract (cancel anytime) and a $30 monthly fee with unlimited text and data?

kdarling

macrumors P6
MetroPCS is not a good choice for backing claims that most Android sales are low-priced phones.

MetroPCS only has about 3 million smartphone users, of whom only about 1 million upgrade smartphones each year.

Compare that to the 100 million smartphone users on the big carriers, who tend to buy more expensive subsidized models under contract.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
MetroPCS is not a good choice for backing claims that most Android sales are low-priced phones.

MetroPCS only has about 3 million smartphone users, of whom only about 1 million upgrade smartphones each year.

Compare that to the 100 million smartphone users on the big carriers, who tend to buy more expensive subsidized models under contract.

If those numbers are true for the US then I agree. I'm not sure how many people are on the other prepaid carriers either. It's possible that the big numbers might not be US prepaid customers, but international. Prepaid users consist of 95% of all mobile phones in India for example.

I don't think there are any hard numbers saying the majority of Android users are prepaid cheap units, but there are no hard numbers saying they aren't.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's possible that the big numbers might not be US prepaid customers, but international. Prepaid users consist of 95% of all mobile phones in India for example.

Yes, economically challenged countries are a much better example. There, over half the smartphones sold recently are often under $150 Androids.

For that matter, in many countries without subsidies, people tend to buy Android phones instead of paying up to five times as much for an iPhone.

I don't think there are any hard numbers saying the majority of Android users are prepaid cheap units, but there are no hard numbers saying they aren't.

I don't think cheap is the majority (yet), because analytics of Android apps show that almost 2/3 are being used on 4" or larger screens with 800x480 or greater resolution. Those are not the cheapest models.

The really cheap models with 480x320 or 320x240 screens account for about 20% of apps used, although I suspect the actual percentage is slightly higher.

Of course, "cheap" doesn't necessarily mean "poorly equipped". Even the cheapest can usually take up to 32GB of addon storage, has 3G and GPS, and a 600+MHz CPU. Heck, MetroPCS has a 4G LTE Android phone on sale for $150 without contract.

"Cheaper" can also simply mean "less expensive". A lot of the price difference is also due to Apple insisting on a 40+% profit margin, whereas other smartphone makers are okay with as low as 15% or even less.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes, economically challenged countries are a much better example. There, over half the smartphones sold recently are often under $150 Androids.

For that matter, in many countries without subsidies, people tend to buy Android phones instead of paying up to five times as much for an iPhone.

I don't think cheap is the majority (yet), because analytics of Android apps show that almost 2/3 are being used on 4" or larger screens with 800x480 or greater resolution. Those are not the cheapest models.

The really cheap models with 480x320 or 320x240 screens account for about 20% of apps used, although I suspect the actual percentage is slightly higher.

Of course, "cheap" doesn't necessarily mean "poorly equipped". Even the cheapest can usually take up to 32GB of addon storage, has 3G and GPS, and a 600+MHz CPU. Heck, MetroPCS has a 4G LTE Android phone on sale for $150 without contract.

"Cheaper" can also simply mean "less expensive". A lot of the price difference is also due to Apple insisting on a 40+% profit margin, whereas other smartphone makers are okay with as low as 15% or even less.

Is that profit margin accurate? I do sales from time to time in my business and people paying 40% are usually what I'd refer to as "suckers". Simply saying "can you do better then that?" is more then enough to lower the price.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012

"Cheaper" can also simply mean "less expensive".

Exactly. Friend of mine just recently went to at&t to get an iPhone but ended up getting a "cheap" Android phone instead. He was all excited about an iPhone too but he said that the Android had 4G, a bigger screen and SD storage. That was more important to him. There are Android phones out there for $50 with more features, 4G and larger screens than the iPhone. That's why so many people are picking them up over an iPhone.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
mbell1975, this is another illogical post :(

What's cheaper?

1. A free phone, with a two year contract and $90 monthly fee (cheapest phone plan + cheapest text plan + cheapest data plan, not counting 300MB).

2. A $68 phone, with no contract (cancel anytime) and a $30 monthly fee with unlimited text and data?

Thank you. Someone gets it.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Exactly. Friend of mine just recently went to at&t to get an iPhone but ended up getting a "cheap" Android phone instead. He was all excited about an iPhone too but he said that the Android had 4G, a bigger screen and SD storage. That was more important to him. There are Android phones out there for $50 with more features, 4G and larger screens than the iPhone. That's why so many people are picking them up over an iPhone.

Name one Android phone available for $50 with contract that even remotely comes close to iPhone 4, let alone the 4S. If you're talking 3GS that's a toss-up depending on the model (and the 3GS is like a penny)...

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Name one Android phone available for $50 with contract that even remotely comes close to iPhone 4, let alone the 4S. If you're talking 3GS that's a toss-up depending on the model (and the 3GS is like a penny)...

Does the 4 or even the 4s have a 4 inch screen, 4G or an SD card slot? Didn't think do. Those are a few things he decided he wanted more than he thought. To be honest, it's a joke that a supposed premium phone like the iPhone doesn't include things even the cheap Android phones do.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Does the 4 or even the 4s have a 4 inch screen, 4G or an SD card slot? Didn't think do. Those are a few things he decided he wanted more than he thought. To be honest, it's a joke that a supposed premium phone like the iPhone doesn't include things even the cheap Android phones do.

Name this mythical beast please.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
why do people keep bringing up how much profit a company makes when comparing things? are YOU getting any of that money? it's never influenced my purchase and even if there was a huge discrepancy between the companies I never felt it in the end product - what I, the consumer, got.. :confused:

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
why do people keep bringing up how much profit a company makes when comparing things?:

because when a company launches a new product that fails and they are losing money on it, they generally stop supporting it. If that device is a TV or something like that, no big deal. However, whenever it's a product that relies on updates to stay current, you have a problem.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Galaxy s2 is 9.99 on at&t

----------

why do people keep bringing up how much profit a company makes when comparing things? are YOU getting any of that money? it's never influenced my purchase and even if there was a huge discrepancy between the companies I never felt it in the end product - what I, the consumer, got.. :confused:

Exactly. If the company is making 40% profit that means I am getting ripped off. They only sell well in the united states because the carriers subsidize them. They are getting fed up and I have a feeling they are gonna start kicking back at apple.

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010
does the 4 or even the 4s have a 4 inch screen, 4g or an sd card slot? Didn't think do. Those are a few things he decided he wanted more than he thought. To be honest, it's a joke that a supposed premium phone like the iphone doesn't include things even the cheap android phones do.

s t f u

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.