Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Tried to watch a couple of those when it first started and couldn't make it ten minutes. It's just hard to believe people actually watch that crap.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here's my question, does anyone really believe that reality TV is truly reality? I would like to think that most people know that it's simply a genre of television entertainment.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Haven't had a TV since 2001.

OP is complaining about optional, free offerings.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's my question, does anyone really believe that reality TV is truly reality? I would like to think that most people know that it's simply a genre of television entertainment.
Agreed, and I generally don't watch much of that stuff. I think the closest thing is some of the video shows, those are generally harmless and safe for the family.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Not to sound like a lecture, but Reality TV is supposed to be based on some quality or quality of reality. No set amount, the % of real required is a personal preference. :)

For Pawn Stars, I don't mind if the things people bring in have been screened in advance as long as negotiations are real. I won't watch staged negotiations. Other shows have done the same thing. Storage Wars is staged. Paranormal Witness is renacted. There was a bounty hunter show (not Dog) that was staged with actors playing the peopl mbeing pursued . That is a violation of the Reality Show Code of Honor. ;) I've heard some negativity about Ghost Hunters. But if they are exploring properties and reporting what they observe, no problem. But if they are manufacturing "events" then...

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I was sick of reality TV after the first two episodes of the first Survivor. The one with the gay guy, Dave of Kevin or something, who didn't pay tax on his $1 million.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thread Revival

Caught my wife watching Hollywood Medium (Tyler Henry) on E Network. I've slid towards the sceptic side on these matters since Sylvia Brown and Pawn Stars... but not saying it's 100% impossible. I just don't have enough info to make a determination. Some people call psychics grief vampires. :)

hollywood-medium-tyler-henry.jpg

Interesting article on Doubtful News.

Reactions: kazmac

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I found this interesting article (2015), if you like American Pickers:
Let’s Pick at American Pickers: Real Or Scripted?

• Locations found by staff, prescreened, and preapproved by producers.
  • Danielle is a show personality as is Frank Fritz who was brought in as a counter personality to Mike.
  • Sometimes the values given for items is not accurate.
As with Pawn Stars, I think I could continue watching this if the negotiations were real. Although the discovery aspect is dimmed a bit. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I caught a new episode of Pawn Stars, and knowing all I know about this show, it was still entertaining to watch because of the historical items that appear. Hopefully they are not lieing about those too. ;)

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Do people really watch this crap? Tonight's fare...

Wipeout - An extreme obstacle course is faced by 24 contestants vying for a $50,000 prize.

I Survived a Japanese Game Show - Americans compete in a zany Japanese game show.

America's Got Talent - yeah, then why is David Hasselhoff on this show

Hell's Kitchen

After that, I turned off the TV Guide channel.

Please make it stop.

With so many people canceling the TV these days networks don't have money to spend on movies or TV shows and only way to stay in business is cheap reality TV shows.

Now TV is loaded with lots and lots of cheap reality TV shows.

It not going to get better but worse. Only demographics left are older people not comfortable with netflix and streaming and type of crowd that will watch Wife Swap, Storage Wars, Cupcake Wars, The Real Housewives, Cake Boss, Little People, Big World, Say Yes to the Dress so on.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
22Apr2020- caught an episode of Ghost Hunters on A&E. Grant from the original show is still there. Basically I was not impressed, a lot of “I’m uncomfortable“, “What’s that?!”, “It felt like someone is near us.” “It freaked me out”. One of the girls fell down the steps, and they made a big deal out of that, but she did not say she was pushed. Ok, whatever.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Do people really watch this crap? Tonight's fare...

Wipeout - An extreme obstacle course is faced by 24 contestants vying for a $50,000 prize.

I Survived a Japanese Game Show - Americans compete in a zany Japanese game show.

America's Got Talent - yeah, then why is David Hasselhoff on this show

Hell's Kitchen

After that, I turned off the TV Guide channel.

Please make it stop.
I don't mind them if they aren't trying to sabotage each other and other drama is low. Those Japanese shows can be hilarious.
[automerge]1587650565[/automerge]
Just other TV shows and reality TV shows gotten worse.

May be I'm getting old but I find my self looking for older TV shows to watch.
Me too. I also don't like the ratio. There are hardly any comedies I like anymore. And anything I do seem to like gets canceled promptly :(
[automerge]1587650710[/automerge]
I was sick of reality TV after the first two episodes of the first Survivor. The one with the gay guy, Dave of Kevin or something, who didn't pay tax on his $1 million.
That's one of the things that annoys me about shows anymore. Always some sort of extreme lifestyle person and always someone who had so many bad things happen, it's a miracle they are even alive to be on the show.
[automerge]1587650711[/automerge]
That's one of the things that annoys me about shows anymore. Always some sort of extreme lifestyle person and always someone who had so many bad things happen, it's a miracle they are even alive to be on the show.
[automerge]1587650860[/automerge]
I'll watch Chopped occasionally, but that's as far as my reality tv goes. I hate the medium. Nice to see cable step up the plate and make scripted television viable again.
Yes chopped is great especially Junior. The adults need to take lessons from those kids in sportsmanship and kindness.
[automerge]1587650954[/automerge]
The one show I was surprised I liked was the Circle. Some of the people were idiots, but most of them were cool, and one of the cooler ones wound up winning.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.