Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Dropbox.app.zip has been upgraded! Check it now! I hope we get an another month! (maybe this is the last time, because faking the new versioning scheme seems to be more harder than the old one)
PERFECT @Czo!!! Working for me now!

You've saved us all again!

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
My Dropbox hasn't stopped working, so I hadn't even noticed the Evil Warning, but today I checked and it was there. But Czo did his magic again, and now it's gone. I'm sorry to hear that you won't be doing this for much longer, Czo, as without your efforts PPC Dropbox users will be lost.

What bugs me (again and again and again) is that they said that they would be "dropping support" for PPC users, not that they would be actively going after us.:mad: I'd say there's a difference.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
My Dropbox hasn't stopped working, so I hadn't even noticed the Evil Warning, but today I checked and it was there. But Czo did his magic again, and now it's gone. I'm sorry to hear that you won't be doing this for much longer, Czo, as without your efforts PPC Dropbox users will be lost.

What bugs me (again and again and again) is that they said that they would be "dropping support" for PPC users, not that they would be actively going after us.:mad: I'd say there's a difference.
I don't think Czo is stopping work on this…I think he just mentioned that it's getting more difficult to fake out the app and that therefore it may prevent him from patching it at some point.

Salumbre

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2015
I don't think Czo is stopping work on this…I think he just mentioned that it's getting more difficult to fake out the app and that therefore it may prevent him from patching it at some point.

He did say this may be the last fix, though. Can't say I blame him. He has done a lot of good.

Reactions: eyoungren

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Dropbox started using a new versioning scheme (maybe a complete app rewrite?): https://www.dropbox.com/release_notes

So, the currently faked version (3.20.1) is the last version that using very-very similar file/module names like the last official PPC version. Newer versions requires a lot more time and it's seems to very difficult to fix it.

avalanchedesigns

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
I haven't been on my PPC for a few weeks. I turned it on today, and Dropbox is stuck on "Downloading file list". Has there been a recent update? In the meantime, I will try re-installing.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I haven't been on my PPC for a few weeks. I turned it on today, and Dropbox is stuck on "Downloading file list". Has there been a recent update? In the meantime, I will try re-installing.
Usually when it's stuck like that it's because there are a large amount of changes.

You can try quitting it and restarting it. Sometimes that helps.

avalanchedesigns

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
Usually when it's stuck like that it's because there are a large amount of changes.

You can try quitting it and restarting it. Sometimes that helps.
And there it is... You're using an older version...

Reinstalled, and everything is updating now! Thank you!

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
It's seems to works for me without any warning on my G4. But now, i have problem with newer version of this software. I hate any 3rd party kexts, and Dropbox always installing a new one. I can unload it with kextunload, and delete it, but restore it on the next reboot. I hate it, and i don't want to use the new feature and the new kext...

Reactions: eyoungren

NathanJHill

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Yeah, I updated to the last version CZO posted, but it's giving me the upgrade notice again as of today.

Maybe I missed an update? Is anyone else getting the warning?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, I updated to the last version CZO posted, but it's giving me the upgrade notice again as of today.

Maybe I missed an update? Is anyone else getting the warning?
Got it this morning. Was going to post about it tonight.

Hopefully @Czo can save us again, but it's doubtful. The last round he says was much harder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.