Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Alright, after recieving the advice from a previous post, I am about to buy the Western Digital 120GB notebook hard drive @ 5400RPM. What I want to know is how long approx. does it take to replace the drive, for a newbie? Thankx.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
For a first timer, it will take quite awhile to take apart an iBook. Just be careful, and try your best not to force the casing off. There are a lot of areas of the the top case, especially, that are very brittle.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
You should use this guide and you'll have it done in no time. Be patient though.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G4-12-Inch/Hard-Drive

I used this guide to replace my iBook 12" hard drive and it was excellent. Get well prepared, print out the screw guide page to place the screws & bits on as you remove them (I stuck them down with blue tack just in case) and as wm says, take your time.

You'll have a great feeling of satisfaction when it's done (I did, anyway), and if you put a larger drive in you'll get a good price for your machine if/when you sell - I just sold my 900Mhz for £350 on ebay & I'm sure it was cause of the 80G drive.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I used this guide to replace my iBook 12" hard drive and it was excellent. Get well prepared, print out the screw guide page to place the screws & bits on as you remove them (I stuck them down with blue tack just in case) and as wm says, take your time.

You'll have a great feeling of satisfaction when it's done (I did, anyway), and if you put a larger drive in you'll get a good price for your machine if/when you sell - I just sold my 900Mhz for £350 on ebay & I'm sure it was cause of the 80G drive.
Hey all, thankx for the info, hopefully I will never have the need to sell this baby but who knows... anyway, the %^&&*#*#* store sold the drive in the hour that I went to and came back from the bank; they'd had it for weeks previously. They ordered another so we'll see when that comes through. Also, I probably will not do it myself, but if it looked like I was going to have time I would've, but I don't have time! Oh well, no HD anyway.
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.