Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
glennsan said:
Were you able to get the HD replaced and run a speed test? I am really curious to find out what the increased speed did for using applications.
Well i didnt run any "official" benchmarks, but Rosetta performance is better, the computer is generally quicker responding, especially with my audio applications (all of which are running under Rosetta). It was no where near as big difference when i moved from my 4200rpm drive in my TiPB to a 5400rpm drive, but the difference is noticeable.

That said, i dont regret the decision to pick the 7200rpm drive over a larger capacity 5400rpm drive.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Prints said:
I ordered mine with 1Gig of RAM. If I want to upgrade it to 2Gigs, do I buy a 1Gig module ? Will it come with a 1Gig in one bay and nothing in the other ?
or do they accomplish 1Gig with two 512's ??
Any suggestions on where to buy RAM ?? I used to buy from Chip Merchant, but haven't recently.
thanks,

you didnt pay that much attention then =P

if you ordered it with 1Gig, then it will have 2x 512 sticks. If you want 2Gigs, you'll have to buy 2x1Gig sticks. sell the 2x512's on ebay, might aswell get some cash back.

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
faintember said:
Well i didnt run any "official" benchmarks, but Rosetta performance is better, the computer is generally quicker responding, especially with my audio applications (all of which are running under Rosetta). It was no where near as big difference when i moved from my 4200rpm drive in my TiPB to a 5400rpm drive, but the difference is noticeable.

That said, i dont regret the decision to pick the 7200rpm drive over a larger capacity 5400rpm drive.

Thanks, I was just trying to see if you could notice the difference afterwards and thought it was worth the money. I think I am going to get my SD MacBook this weekend and will upgrade the HD as well.

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
Dell 24-, 30-inch prices continue their fall

PaulinMaryland said:
It gets even better if you substitute Dell's 2405FPW, which currently can be bought on U.S. eBay, new, for as little as $735 shipped. On eBay, the shipped price is falling by $3 to $5 a week.
Now $728 shipped (May 30).

PaulinMaryland said:
By the way, Dell's 30-incher--the 3007wfp--is now on eBay for as low as $1540 shipped! On eBay, the shipped price is falling by $5 to $8 a week.
Alas, prices have jumped back up into the mid $1600s shipped.

mitsukai

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
I apologise in advance if this is an inappropriate way to ask a question in this thread. I posted this (link below) in a different thread, but I realise now it may have been better off here...

It is with regards to upgrading ram and differences in ram specs:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/2467656/

If anyone would prefer me to copy/paste my orig post here rather than a link, please let me know and I will.

Reggers,
M

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Omni OPTIVAL Is Only Slightly Higher Latency And Well Worth The Money Saved

mitsukai said:
I apologise in advance if this is an inappropriate way to ask a question in this thread. I posted this (link below) in a different thread, but I realise now it may have been better off here...

It is with regards to upgrading ram and differences in ram specs:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/2467656/
Omni OPTIVAL Is Only Slightly Higher Latency And Well Worth The Money Saved. Stop worrying over nothing. You will never know the difference in a blind test. :rolleyes:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Video Shows Everything EXCEPT How To Do It And What Size & Type Screwdrivers

mashinhead said:
what tool to you use to unscrew the HD from the silver case?
Post #1 has links to instructions and video.
Macrumors said:
Both the MacBook's RAM and Hard Drive are accessible through a panel under the battery and the process has been detailed in this Video from MacWorld.
Interesting video without telling us anything about what screwdrivers are needed and not showing removal of HD from bracket and putting another one in the bracket, nor how to add new ram modules.
Post #165
faintember said:
Just saw this over on the Apple Support Forums, and i havent seen it posted here yet:
(the following link leads to a .pdf download)
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf.

Yeah, an official Apple manual that tells you how to replace your HD. Brilliant and great news for us MB and potential MB owners!:D :) :D

Oh, link to the original discussion on the Apple Forums if anyone is interested: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=493496&tstart=0
These instructions say Phillips #1 but then fail to show the removal of the HD from the bracket and replacement with another HD into the bracket. Weird.

Here's a new thread for MacBook HD replacement help.

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2005
faintember said:
i dont regret the decision to pick the 7200rpm drive over a larger capacity 5400rpm drive.

yeah, sure! I stuck 160gb in the powerbook when the perpendicular drives first came out, I can't imagine how I'd cope with only 100 now

mrfop

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
Hey all, I'm gonna get a stock lower end macbook and replace the ram and HD since using for mobile DJin (Ableton), this a good option on the HD front for us UK buyers? Its 8mb cache too, so must be better, no?

Cheers ;)

Dave

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
mrfop said:
Hey all, I'm gonna get a stock lower end macbook and replace the ram and HD since using for mobile DJin (Ableton), this a good option on the HD front for us UK buyers? Its 8mb cache too, so must be better, no?

Cheers ;)

Dave

Might it not be a problem that it doesn't explicitly guarantee Mac-compatiblity (even if in theory it should actually work)? Although this isn't important insofar that 99% of the time the hard drive will work easily, in that 1% of times it may make it more difficult to return it. I know this is true for RAM, but not so sure about hard drives.

Does anyone know any dedicated Mac online stores in the UK?!

mrfop

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
FleurDuMal said:
Might it not be a problem that it doesn't explicitly guarantee Mac-compatiblity (even if in theory it should actually work)? Although this isn't important insofar that 99% of the time the hard drive will work easily, in that 1% of times it may make it more difficult to return it. I know this is true for RAM, but not so sure about hard drives.

Good point that it might be difficult to get Applecare after installing a HD that isn't favoured by Apple. Anyone got any thoughts on all this? I just want to make music ... SATA's, 9.5mm - it sounds like weaponry!!! This is all too much!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dave

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
If Apple is letting a user install a harddrive, or any user-replacement part, they must cover the machine. However, they will not cover the hard drive. :)

Eldentistfuturo

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Houston
Multimedia said:
No one here has the guts to Upgrade Their Hard Drive so we'll never know. Big secret. None of the videos say and no one here is willing to share. Screwdriver size and type is too basic a question for all the brainiacs here to answer. :confused: :eek:

I used a 2mm hex-L Key.

mitsukai

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
August Toshiba 200GB 4200RPM SATA2 - 2.5" x 9.5mm Will Fit In MacBook

PaulinMaryland said:
I read about it here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1023&thread=18718433

Does anyone know where to find the announcement? I want to know whether its sufficiently shallow (9mm? 9.5mm?) to fit the MacBook.
mitsukai said:
Good get Mitsukai. :) I could not find. :(

OK it only rolls 4200rpm. BUT there's a heat issue and a density issue. At that density of storage space, 4200 may be as fast as 5400 and the only way to keep it cool. NOTE it is SATA2 not 1. Weither the MacBook supports SATA2 is another matter we probably don't know the answer to yet. We all know it will work at SATA1 speed if not. Anyone?

Cost is going to be very high - Probably at least $300 (guess) if we're lucky to get it for $1.50/GB. Hope that's a really bad guess. $200 would be great. :) NOTE - 3.5" drives are down to about 25¢/GB. Fry's recently sold 400GB Seagate PATA drives for $100 on Memorial Day. OK I admit to wanting one. But will need speed benchmark to pass on the Seagate 160 5400 SATA in July. :confused:
PaulinMaryland said:
According to the first link, Toshiba's new 200GB drive is 9mm thick. According to the second link, it's 9.5mm. Can anyone recall whether 9.5mm is too thick?
I think that must be a typo since 9.5mm is the same thickness as the much smaller capacity drives that Apple ships with the MacBook. So it's highly unlikely that a much higher capacity drive could be any thiner.

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
Toshiba 200GB: 9mm thin...or maybe 9.5mm

According to the first link, Toshiba's new 200GB drive is 9mm thick. According to the second link, it's 9.5mm. Can anyone recall whether 9.5mm is too thick?

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
$209 Shipping for a 24" 1920x1200 Dell

PaulinMaryland said:
Now $709 shipped, new:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dell-24-Unt...9QQihZ005QQcategoryZ86706QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I remember paying $2450 in 1992 for the first 21-inch CRT that could display 1600 x 1200 at 80 Hz (Nokia 445X). It took me three years to pay off the CRT and the $900, 4MB Matrox card that drove it. It hurts...
$499 plus $209 shipping is an obscene shipping fee for something that weighs only about 40 pounds.:rolleyes: . But it is a bargain.

Dell's Page for it.

Now when do we get those $999 30" 2560 x 1600 displays? :)

mitsukai

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Multimedia said:
Weither the MacBook supports SATA2 is another matter we probably don't know the answer to yet. We all know it will work at SATA1 speed if not. Anyone?

For the MB and MBP it looks like SATAII will be fine. Scroll down to "Serial ATA Drive Interface". You may need to go to "next page" for MB notes:

http://developer.apple.com/document...MacBookPro_0601/Articles/MacBookPro_0601.html
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/MacBook_0605/index.html

hmmm....price-wise, no word at all yet that I can find. Not even any other guesstimates beyond what Multimedia said. But it is already being put in some of their laptops eg. http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe....RINT_WITH_BACK&PRODUCT_ID=108695&DISC_MODEL=0

Multimedia said:
:confused:I think that must be a typo since 9.5mm is the same thickness as the much smaller capacity drives that Apple ships with the MacBook. So it's highly unlikely that a much higher capacity drive could be any thiner.

Yep, def a typo. Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...0000279f/818200000d07000000010000659c00002ea4

BTW Multimedia, sorry I didn't have time to explain yesterday's links fully. Had just enough time to throw up the two links I'd already seen before I hadda run... :eek:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
MacBook, MacBook Pro Both Support Some SATA2 Features, 3 Gbps Throughput Not For Sure

mitsukai said:
For the MB and MBP it looks like SATA2 is supported. Scroll down to "Serial ATA Drive Interface". You may need to go to "next page" for MB notes:

Serial ATA Drive Interface
"The 15-inch MacBook Pro comes with a 5400 rpm (optionally, a 7200 rpm) Serial ATA (SATA) Gen-I (1.5 Gbps) disk drive. The SATA disk drives operate through an AHCI 1.1 controller that supports advanced SATA-II features such as Native Command Queuing (NCQ) and PHY power management."

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/MacBook_0605/index.html

hmmm....price-wise, no word at all yet that I can find. Not even any other guesstimates beyond what Multimedia said. But it is already being put in some of their laptops eg. http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe....RINT_WITH_BACK&PRODUCT_ID=108695&DISC_MODEL=0

Yep, def a typo. It's 9.5 mm thick. Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pa...0000279f/818200000d07000000010000659c00002ea4

"MK2035GSS
2.5" HDD 200GB*

Toshiba Storage Device Division (SDD), the industry pioneer in small form factor hard disk drives (HDDs), introduces the 200GB 2.5-inch HDD based on Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) technology. Toshiba's second-generation PMR offering features the worlds highest areal density at 178.8 gigabits per square inch and the highest-capacity drive on the market in the standard 9.5mm mobile PC format**.

The 200GB dual-platter drive offers enough capacity for portable video recording and editing, gaming, music and other multimedia applications. The MK2035GSS weighs only 98 grams and features lower power consumption compared to the traditional 3.5-inch HDDs. Toshiba's 200GB HDD provides mobile PC manufacturers the ideal combination of capacity and power to manufacture and market mobile PCs as a replacement for traditional desktop computers. The MK2035GSS incorporates the Serial ATA (SATA) II interface and is ATA-7 compliant, supporting high transfer rates of up to 150 megabytes per second.

** As of June 5, 2006"
"transfer rates of up to 150 megabytes per second" is SATA1 speed isn't it? :confused:

But either 1 or 2 a 200GB SATA HD inside a MacBook or MacBook Pro is going to be fun to have! Only question is how fast it will feel and will it be fast enough to capture video without hiccups? Since they specifically mention "portable video recording and editing", it shouldn't be a problem.

And based on Don's Benchmark Work, I have to believe it's going to feel faster than some of us think. :)

Attachments

• Toshiba-2.5'-200GB-HD-WEB.jpg
    Toshiba-2.5'-200GB-HD-WEB.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 637

PaulinMaryland

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Maryland, USA
2560 x 1680 at $999?

Multimedia said:
Now when do we get those $999 30" 2560 x 1600 displays? :)
If it comes soon, you'll be wringing your hands for buying a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro!

I'm fanatical about the virtues of large displays with millions of pixels. For years, I've been saying that prices fall by about 20 percent a year. However, I think that that figure is proving conservative. What we're seeing is a hastening of the trickle-down of good things to the masses. So: $999 shipped for a 30-inch 2560 x 1680? My guess is the second half of 2008. But not from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.