Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I'm going to order my macbook next week sometime, and was initially planning on getting the black version with a 100GB HD upgrade. However, I'm now considering getting a 120GB HD, although that costs an extra £130 (NUS price).

I was looking around on google and found this:

http://www.savastore.com/productinf...=Savastore&product_id=10279558&pid=45&tid=279

Firstly, will it work?
Secondly, is replacing the old one as simple as it looks (on the macworld video)? Because they seem to unscrew the 'L' shaped plate, and just pull it out. Would I just need to do that, then stick a new one in, or is there more to it?

thanks in advance,
will

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
why?

codo, that 100GB HD from dabs is over £100 and yet it only costs £50 to upgrade to a 100 GB from apple.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
fitting the HD

Also, If i fit it myself, do I just remove the old one and stick the new one in there, or do i need to turn the compiter on and sort out the OS etc before I change the HD

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
will0407 said:
codo, that 100GB HD from dabs is over £100 and yet it only costs £50 to upgrade to a 100 GB from apple.

7200rpm (faster).

will0407 said:
Also, If i fit it myself, do I just remove the old one and stick the new one in there, or do i need to turn the compiter on and sort out the OS etc before I change the HD

You would be well advised to back up ALL your data first. When you first turn on the machine with the new drive you will need the restore DVD that came with your machine as the new drive will not have an OS on it! Once OSX is reinstalled you can restore all your data and reinstall any additional apps you had.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
installing new HD

So basically, robbieduncan, I turn on the macbook, install OSX, copy everything from the existing HD to an external one, put the new HD in, copy everything onto the new HD, and....voi la?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
will0407 said:
So basically, robbieduncan, I turn on the macbook, install OSX, copy everything from the existing HD to an external one, put the new HD in, copy everything onto the new HD, and....voi la?

If it's a brand new machine with no user data you can just switch out the drives, otherwise, yes the above will work. You could use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the existing drive to the external then back to the new internal too.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
thanks

OK, thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it. However, I think I'm just gonna pay the extra and have apple do it for me. I know £130 is alot, but I haven't seen many UK stockists of a suitable 120GB HD cheap enough for me to make it worth my while doing it myself. (Unless anyone out there has any links etc they'd like to share:eek:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.