Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Nope. this is my second phone. Going back tomorrow for number 3.....I'll keep everyone posted.

At this point I STRONGLY believe this is hardware issue.

Worse case its combo of both.

Do you restore from backup or set up as new?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I've tried from both. When you reset the phone and you run a few test the speeds are crazy fast but then after 5/10 mins the speeds are probably half of my iPhone 4S.

iPhone 4S is running iOS 6 also

Which model do you have? I don't see that being mentioned much. Maybe it's a specific build.

I have the black 32 GB, and I have the "half speed or less" wifi issue.

Abrown5905

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Nope. this is my second phone. Going back tomorrow for number 3.....I'll keep everyone posted.

At this point I STRONGLY believe this is hardware issue.

Worse case its combo of both.

What is your downstream speeds from your ISP and what are you getting on your phone? Where do you live and are you pinging your ISPs server? I work for an ISP once you start pinging other ISPs your speeds will only be as fast as their network is

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Reporting back.

Last night I rebooted my phone. And within 10 minutes my WI-Fi started working again. I have not rebooted my phone, and the Wi-Fi seem stable all day long. At work I discovered that my MAC address was not loaded into the RADIUS database. I updated the database and now WI-FI is working there.

Work had nothing to do with my problem, my Wi-Fi was genuinely malfunctioning on the phone for a period of time, at which rebooting has made it work again. I tried the steps listed in previous posts, which did not work, and so I have removed all of those changes.

I have a White 64GB AT&T.

Chris12923

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Can anyone please try to squeeze the bottom of the iPhone 5 with your thumbs on on each side of the home button. It seems if I do this immediately after I start the speed test my speeds are pretty close to normal. If this works for you I assume its hardware issue. Hope this helps.

Basically squeeze between your thumb and fingers just to clarify.

Last edited:

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Can I ask you which Speedtest you are using?

I have 2 and both give me different results. One shows 5+mb/s and the 2nd 25mb/s and more similar to the Ipad...

Markus

Chris12923

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I'm using speedtest.net app

Well call me crazy but I took my phone out of its case (which is a Qmedix) and now my speeds are awesome! Why would a plastic case make that much difference? No what I have to keep surfing naked in order to get great speeds? I'm just glad it's fast again. Although I'd rather have it protected a bit.

Natasha ley

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Australia
Speed test sites give different results. I want some one to specify the models with slow wifi connectivity.I would like to avoid it as I am planning to buy one.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
Which model do you have? I don't see that being mentioned much. Maybe it's a specific build.

I have the black 32 GB, and I have the "half speed or less" wifi issue.

What is your downstream speeds from your ISP and what are you getting on your phone? Where do you live and are you pinging your ISPs server? I work for an ISP once you start pinging other ISPs your speeds will only be as fast as their network is

I have a 64 GB in Black.

on my iphone 4S and iPad I'm getting 18/20 down and 5 up all day long. Run after run after run.

now my iphone 5 the up is always solid at 5 but the down varies from 8-11. So there is quite a difference. Not to mention it slowly gets to 8/11 where the other two shoot to 18/20 right out of the gate.

(these test are all ran on the same server on speed test. Ive even changed the server location and still get the same results)

cincyfitguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Replacement exhibits the same behavior

For those of you who got a replacement iPhone 5 from an Apple store did this fix your issue?

I got a replacement and the new phone exhibits the same behavior. It will get good speeds periodically and then go back to a crawl. I have reset the router, rebooted the phone , changed channels etc... My iPhone 4S seems to be fine.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
I've tried from both. When you reset the phone and you run a few test the speeds are crazy fast but then after 5/10 mins the speeds are probably half of my iPhone 4S.

iPhone 4S is running iOS 6 also

Same problem here. Change wifi settings and it seems fixed, for a while. I just turned wifi on, squeezed the bottom of the phone and thought that was the problem. Till it came to do the upload test, which just froze.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 78

lermal

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Florida
Called AppleCare today to report the issue. They're sending me a replacement phone so we'll see how that works out.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I've found the same issue tonight. I can get less than 1Mbps down on the iPhone 5 but the iPad 3 next to it is getting over 40Mbps down. Both devices on iOS6. I've tried on 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks and with WPA on and no encryption. My wifi is a 2TB Time Capsule.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0310.PNG
    IMG_0310.PNG
    532.4 KB · Views: 60

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
My speed is affected, but I am more concerned that I don't get as strong signal with my iPhone 5.
As well, when I connect, it drops off, or if I do connect, after a bit it stops loading data even though shows connected to wifi.
I made an appointment, they said they heard its happening on other devices on iOS 6 so might be software, but they got me a replacement anyways. Out of stock, but should be here next week. Hope the next one is solved as it seems its my phone (friends works fine).

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I am happy with this speed. It's 4 times faster than 3G and more than enough for everyday use. :)

That's cool. I thought our networks were bad over here, but I guess not. I average about 2Mbps on 3G, which feels really slow to me, so I bought an LTE wifi hotspot a few months ago - it gets about 8-10Mbps or so, on average (more than enough for FaceTime, which is actually the main reason I bought it). The iPhone 5 on LTE gets 16Mbps, though, so it's even faster. But at home I have 100Mbps fiber, and two AirPort Extremes serving up 2.4/5GHz N networks, so I'm kinda spoiled. :)

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Bizarelly, mine seems OK today. It was conistently performing badly last night against my iPad 3 (every test was phone bad, iPad good) and now seems absolutely fine.

I kept 3 screen grabs for each device as evidence, but now I'm not sure whether to cancel my genius appointment later, given it seems to be working OK and will be hard to demonstrate? iOS bug?

ryanmccrorey

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Bizarelly, mine seems OK today. It was conistently performing badly last night against my iPad 3 (every test was phone bad, iPad good) and now seems absolutely fine.

I kept 3 screen grabs for each device as evidence, but now I'm not sure whether to cancel my genius appointment later, given it seems to be working OK and will be hard to demonstrate? iOS bug?

I would keep the appointment. Mine has been doing the same thing. Performing badly Monday, absolutely fine on Tuesday, and then back to being terrible on Wednesday. I had an appointment scheduled for Tuesday, but I canceled thinking it had gone away.... Time to setup another one! BTW 16GB AT&T Black

ryanmccrorey

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Total wifi loss

I see a lot of people saying their wifi slows down dramatically, but does anyone have an issue where it completely stops? That is to say, I am still connected to my wifi, but get literally 0 up and down. It just grinds to a halt. Everything else works on my home and work networks, including several iOS devices. (all upgraded to 6.0) The iPhone 5 is the only one experiencing this problem. Again like the others it is intermittent, and goes from working perfectly, to not at all.

Makes me think this is definitely a hardware problem.

Chris12923

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Well that was short lived. After a couple hours of being normal without the case on it started slowing down and or stopping completely again. Guess ill just have to wait for apple to see what they come up with. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.