Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Is that scale 1 least important, 10 most important... or is it going down on a "Top 10" list w/ #1 as the most important?

I'd say the MacBook/Pro needs to be higher than a Mac Mini.

As for the MacBook and MacBook Pro, they would be tied for #1 then.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
Level of importance to update:
1. Mac Mini
2. Cinema Display
3. Mac Pro
4. iMac

That is what I think.

Hahahaha ok, the Mac Mini is in need of some sort of update (or a discontinuing) but the Notebooks should definitely be number one because of students/business people.

wwetech

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Hahahaha ok, the Mac Mini is in need of some sort of update (or a discontinuing) but the Notebooks should definitely be number one because of students/business people.

hope they dont discontinue mac mini, it was very stable small computer for normal everyday use.

captnfun

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
2. There's an option to upgrade the screen on the 17" book to 1920x1200, so where's the option to upgrade the screen on the 15" to 1600x1080? I'd even pay extra for it like you do for the 17" upgrade. My 15" Dell Inspiron back in 2003 had a resolution of 1600x1200.

Finally, it's time for a redesign. When you're a company that constantly drives style, you have to keep driving just for the sake of doing so.

The MacBooks ain't ever getting a GPU. They'll get a bump in the next rev in the form of improved Intel graphics, sure, but I doubt you'll ever see dedicated video on the consumer level notebooks again.

My hope is that the next event is HD centric so we see Bluray (not that I care about it except that it also means), new screen resolutions and thus new laptops. I doubt this is the case, but I really want something to push screen resolutions.

I agree, HD laptops, and Macbooks will always use integrated video, it is the one thing that separates the Macbooks from the MacbookPro's.

I saw today that Dell announced a new laptop in a 16x9 screen (i think just overseas though) It was a 15.6" screen.

What kind of pixel density would be needed to get a full 1920x1080 on that sized screen? Can it be done?

That would be the sweet spot for the Macbook Pro to me.

looks like Dell has these laptops in the works too...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10026936-1.html

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
not at the risk of any of the products cheapening. I see all the posts about "cracking wrist rests" and "unresponsive keyboards" and it scares me. As much as I love "new, faster, and more" I prefer "solid, dependable and secure". That's why we went Mac... it wasn't about the money it was about the dependability. Please Apple, don't lose sight of what's important while you are busy trying to please everyone and be number 1.

Excellent point, and I concur completely. Emphasizing a low 'initial' investment in buying a computer can very well mean later 'investments' of cost, time, hassles, hair-pulling frustration when you need to be working...:mad:

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
13 inch MacBook and MacBook Pro

The MacBooks ain't ever getting a GPU. They'll get a bump in the next rev in the form of improved Intel graphics, sure, but I doubt you'll ever see dedicated video on the consumer level notebooks again.

I agree MacBooks won't be getting a GPU, but that doesn't prevent Apple from releasing a 13 inch MacBook Pro (with a GPU), just like it did with the 12 inch PowerBook vs. iBook line a few years back.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
I agree MacBooks won't be getting a GPU, but that doesn't prevent Apple from releasing a 13 inch MacBook Pro (with a GPU), just like it did with the 12 inch PowerBook vs. iBook line a few years back.

I've heard this a couple other places (low-end Mac and ?). If this is a real possibility, then I'd probably wait for both MB and MBP releases...double agony:(

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
that doesn't prevent Apple from releasing a 13 inch MacBook Pro (with a GPU), just like it did with the 12 inch PowerBook vs. iBook line a few years back.
No - but the existence of MacBook and MacBook Air together should prevent Apple from doing that.
A third notebook line with 13.3" screen?
Total overkill. Never, never ever going to happen, IMO.

They'd much rather substitute the current GMA in the "plain" MacBook with some NVIDIA or ATI part. I still doubt it very much... but at least there'd be some sound rationale in it. Like...

1. Lowering the AirBook's price to make it more attractive as a small and/or go-everywhere companion. If you think about it... should the AirBook be that expensive to make, if (1) CPUs are not "custom" anymore, (2) prices for SSD have gone down (3) you produce the thing in larger quantities than previous subnotebooks, to warrant a premium price like now? Lowering its price, Apple might have some real "killer" on hand for the less enthusiast-minded customers out there. I am talking about the "I don't couldn't give less about what fancy parts are in my computer or how much GHz this thing has, as long as it reliably works... I'm certainly not going to mess around (read: upgrade, remove battery, etc.) with it" crowd here. They type of people who don't know what System Profiler or macrumors.com even is. And, at least judging from my mother ( ;) ) and some others, these people are quite exactly the ones despising hideous wiring in the living room (like... ethernet cables, for instance). After all, where do many of the complaints about the AirBook originate from? From the more tech-savvy and performance-demanding people frequenting forums like this one. Last but not least: lowering the AirBook's price might also constitute a valid response to "threats" of EEE PC and the like...

2. Making the MacBook more attractive to casual gamers. After all, aren't there some young people who wouldn't mind playing some WoW (or what games are popular today?), aren't they?

Now, of course this is just some idea I was playing around with. But it doesn't look that implausible to me either.

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA

I agree completely! I'm a student/working person who needs a new notebook! I want a MBP update! ;)

I've also convinced my sister (not her hubby yet, like that matters, though ;)) to get a Mac Mini, so I'm hoping they do not discontinue, rather update, the Mini.

I guess time will tell what happens.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
That makes some sense...

No - but the existence of MacBook and MacBook Air together should prevent Apple from doing that.
A third notebook line with 13.3" screen?
Total overkill. Never, never ever going to happen, IMO.

They'd much rather substitute the current GMA in the "plain" MacBook with some NVIDIA or ATI part. I still doubt it very much... but at least there'd be some sound rationale in it. Like...

1. Lowering the AirBook's price to make it more attractive as a small and/or go-everywhere companion. If you think about it... should the AirBook be that expensive to make, if (1) CPUs are not "custom" anymore, (2) prices for SSD have gone down (3) you produce the thing in larger quantities than previous subnotebooks, to warrant a premium price like now? Lowering its price, Apple might have some real "killer" on hand for the less enthusiast-minded customers out there. I am talking about the "I don't couldn't give less about what fancy parts are in my computer or how much GHz this thing has, as long as it reliably works... I'm certainly not going to mess around (read: upgrade, remove battery, etc.) with it" crowd here. They type of people who don't know what System Profiler or macrumors.com even is.

I would imagine that there is a big following of folks that just send email and save/file family pictures. And that's all they do.

captnfun

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
1. Lowering the AirBook's price to make it more attractive as a small and/or go-everywhere companion. If you think about it... should the AirBook be that expensive to make, if (1) CPUs are not "custom" anymore, (2) prices for SSD have gone down (3) you produce the thing in larger quantities than previous subnotebooks, to warrant a premium price like now? Lowering its price, Apple might have some real "killer" on hand for the less enthusiast-minded customers out there. I am talking about the "I don't couldn't give less about what fancy parts are in my computer or how much GHz this thing has, as long as it reliably works... I'm certainly not going to mess around (read: upgrade, remove battery, etc.) with it" crowd here. They type of people who don't know what System Profiler or macrumors.com even is. And, at least judging from my mother ( ;) ) and some others, these people are quite exactly the ones despising hideous wiring in the living room (like... ethernet cables, for instance). After all, where do many of the complaints about the AirBook originate from? From the more tech-savvy and performance-demanding people frequenting forums like this one. Last but not least: lowering the AirBook's price might also constitute a valid response to "threats" of EEE PC and the like...

2. Making the MacBook more attractive to casual gamers. After all, aren't there some young people who wouldn't mind playing some WoW (or what games are popular today?), aren't they?

Now, of course this is just some idea I was playing around with. But it doesn't look that implausible to me either.

I totally agree, they got the suckers to pay the big bucks for this, and cover the R&D. Now they need to drop the price. This could be the casual user system. Casual users don't need gigantic hard drives, or a gaggle of ports, the Macbook Air would be perfect for them.

But I do think you have to make the battery user replaceable. I have to replace mine every year.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008

To me, an analgoy:
MacBook Air: iBook G4 or the "new MacBook" of Macs
New MacBook: The new "12" PowerBook G4" of Macs

That's the kind of updates I think are going to happen.

We shall see what Apple has in store.

Lynxpro

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2005
Yes - I just had Applecare replace my daughter's wrist-wrest, mouse button, and bottom casing for cracks. The wrist-wrest is a definately known problem (the little tabs on the inside of the lid crack the plastic they touch) AND be sure to check the base under the hinge area - many of the White Macs develop cracks all along the edge on the bottom between the hinges. :mad:

Thanks for that helpful info. I didn't want to lug my MacBook to the Apple Store over nothing but I'm glad it turns out that it is covered under AppleCare. I also hope it doesn't take weeks to fix. Maybe they'll have some helpful suggestions on cleaning the (natural skin) oil discoloration that has happened to the track pad. If the new MacBooks do have glass track pad screens, I may be tempted to give (I mean trade) to my girlfriend.

But anyway, after I get it fixed, I think I'll buy one of those Speck cases for the MacBook. Granted, with their color schemes, some might think my laptop is a Dell with those cheap color covers they have.

Again, thanks for the info!

Lynxpro

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2005
Interestingly, AppleTV is not mentioned. I'd wager that the aTV is going to get a minor HW revision in the form of video output, making it capable of driving (at least) 1080i. This would coincide with the iTunes update to 8.0.

Such a move would spur lagging aTV sales (overcoming the consumer's mindset of it having the inferior video output of 720p), and allow Apple to compete more readily with BluRay players, as well as with BluRay content providers such as NetFlix and Blockbuster. The timing would be right to drive the Christmas rush, too. Getting an aTV to the masses early would allow for favorable reviews to hit the mainstream media.

I'm not excited about the AppleTV product. Sure, it would be nice to have yet another Apple ecosystem product, but I have a hard time justifying the purchase of it when my Playstation3 works so well with Blu-Ray discs that I've either purchased or rented from NetFlix. If Sony would get their act together and make it standard to include "portable" MP4 files on their Blu-Ray discs to transfer to the PSP, Apple would finally have some respectable competition. What bugs me about the PS3 is the difficultly of transferring video files from a Mac to it over a network versus from a (gasp) Windows PC.

But getting back to the AppleTV product, I think it will ultimately come down to what I need more...it or finally putting my Series2 TiVo out to pasture for the TiVoHD. I've been fence sitting on the TiVo because I don't think I can trust Comcast to keep backwards compatibility with CableCard 1.0/2.0 devices when they switch their services over to the IPTV-like SVG or whatever the acronym is for what they are moving to. Plus, the AppleTV feels like a heat sink (or the bottom of the MacBook after it runs for awhile) if you stick your hand on its top! And with 1080p capable flat screens dropping in price like stones, it doesn't look good spec-wise when your product only does 720p.

Lynxpro

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2005
As exhaustively said before by many, 99.99% of the market will NEVER open a computer case, let alone add a PCI board, which apart from hardcore gamers who need new bragging rights every quarter, is simply unknown and useless to any normal user. Apple is the ONLY company realizing that, and that's why it's so successful, growing more than double the ordinary IT sector.

I've never considered adding anything more than RAM, an external drive or assorted USB or FW devices...just as pretty much anyone out there...add-on boards had only two roles in the Mac's history...either to run PC software or to run Apple II software in the Mac LC...:rolleyes:

I'd agree with you if you drop that statistic down to 75%. If you drop by Fry's or Best Buy, you will see quite a few people - who are not gamers - buying internal hard drives, burners, video cards, and up until a couple of years ago, sound cards.

One should remember that Creative used to make a PCI based Sound Blaster for the Power Macs.

Plus, Apple likes customers with disposable income [or those who do nothing but spend their money - disposable or not - on tech]. If they made an xMac, then they could get in on the gamer market...the customers who won't bat an eyelash over purchasing the latest $600 video card but would skip buying a $3000 standard MacPro or an Alienware/FalconNorthwest rig. This would also go along way to fixing the abysmal video card situation in the Mac world. I myself have a MacBook but I need to finally ditch the desktop PC and I'd rather have a mythical xMac than an iMac.

Lynxpro

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2005
Steve Jobs has already called Blu Ray an outright failure wrt content delivery so I doubt he is in any rush to incorporate the technology into the Mac product lines other than for HD storage/media etc. Although that is a legitimate reason for bringing in the technology, and we will no doubt see it at some point, it's not like Blu Ray is the be-all and end-all and some people mistakenly believe.

Blu-ray is end-all for the next decade. Commercial video downloads are going to go nowhere because the cable companies and phone companies offering broadband are not going to let Apple and the like cash in while using their infrastructure and hurting the PPV and OnDemand market. Comcast just announced that 250GB cap, and we're going to see companies cap lower than that.

A typical Blu-ray release is 50GB, so with that cap in place, that's 5 movies per month...of course, iTunes and other net based content only do 720p and not 1080p, so it would be less per film.

Point is, downloads won't surpass Blu-ray. And by the time there's infrastructure in place to offer 1080p, Blu-ray could switch to UltraHD (2160p) by simply adding 2 more layers to the disc. I'm quite certain that within 3 years, there will be 2160p flat screens on the market as prices continue to drop dramatically for 1080p. And again, downloads will be behind the times.

As for Jobs's prognostications, he's just bitter over having backed DVD big time when it first came out at the expense of the popularity of CD-R drives. They had to do a complete 180 in strategy to announce that marketing campaign of "Rip Mix and Burn" because they were so caught off-guard. So he's unsuccessfully trying to shift the paradigm in Apple's favor instead of getting burned by DVD's successor. But Blu-ray's popularity is already being adopted at a faster rate than DVD did, even with that prior year wasted on the Microsoft-financed format war...

Jak3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Blu-ray is end-all for the next decade. Commercial video downloads are going to go nowhere because the cable companies and phone companies offering broadband are not going to let Apple and the like cash in while using their infrastructure and hurting the PPV and OnDemand market. Comcast just announced that 250GB cap, and we're going to see companies cap lower than that.

A typical Blu-ray release is 50GB, so with that cap in place, that's 5 movies per month...of course, iTunes and other net based content only do 720p and not 1080p, so it would be less per film.

Point is, downloads won't surpass Blu-ray. And by the time there's infrastructure in place to offer 1080p, Blu-ray could switch to UltraHD (2160p) by simply adding 2 more layers to the disc. I'm quite certain that within 3 years, there will be 2160p flat screens on the market as prices continue to drop dramatically for 1080p. And again, downloads will be behind the times.

As for Jobs's prognostications, he's just bitter over having backed DVD big time when it first came out at the expense of the popularity of CD-R drives. They had to do a complete 180 in strategy to announce that marketing campaign of "Rip Mix and Burn" because they were so caught off-guard. So he's unsuccessfully trying to shift the paradigm in Apple's favor instead of getting burned by DVD's successor. But Blu-ray's popularity is already being adopted at a faster rate than DVD did, even with that prior year wasted on the Microsoft-financed format war...

UltraHD pfft...you'd need more storage than Blu-Ray for all of that to fit on one disc...:rolleyes:

if they released that now they'd screw themselves over on sales, now that they finally are getting 720p and 1080p to become standard

read up on your tech before making claims like that :p

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA

I do believe that with ISP's imposing download caps, this will actually spur more adoption of Blu-ray players, and that means we'll be seen iMacs, Mac Pros and Mac-based laptops with Blu-ray drives within the next year or so.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
Thanks for that helpful info. I didn't want to lug my MacBook to the Apple Store over nothing but I'm glad it turns out that it is covered under AppleCare. I also hope it doesn't take weeks to fix. Maybe they'll have some helpful suggestions on cleaning the (natural skin) oil discoloration that has happened to the track pad. If the new MacBooks do have glass track pad screens, I may be tempted to give (I mean trade) to my girlfriend.

But anyway, after I get it fixed, I think I'll buy one of those Speck cases for the MacBook. Granted, with their color schemes, some might think my laptop is a Dell with those cheap color covers they have.

Again, thanks for the info!
DO NOT buy the speck hardshells for macbooks.. i had one and it scratched the heck out of my macbook.. and messed up the hinges tryin to take off the case

captnfun

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Elk Grove, CA

2160p? No way, the reason 1080p matters is because it is the broadcast standard, 1080p is not going anywhere for a long long time. Thus Blu-ray will be a standard for a long long time. All the more reason to get on board now. Maybe someday direct downloads will take over, but even if that's true, that would make blu-ray the longest lasting standard, because it would be the last physical format.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I do believe that with ISP's imposing download caps, this will actually spur more adoption of Blu-ray players, and that means we'll be seen iMacs, Mac Pros and Mac-based laptops with Blu-ray drives within the next year or so.

i am not going to be shocked if first we see lawsuits over the capping. if not by companies like Apple then by the consumers. make the whole monopoly argument, illegal tying and all that.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe you should. You're in a good 'zone'. You can buy the current generation and probably within the next 30 days,

i would double check that, because at least in Cali it is not 30 days but 14 days to return items, computers included. and price adjustments are the same 14 days

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
You know, I was among the audience when Steve concluded his MW Expo '08 presentation, he noted that during the first 2 weeks of the year Apple made several significant announcements like the new Mac Pros, Time Capsule, Macbook Air, new software for AppleTV and iPhone/iPod Touch and iTunes movie rentals "and we got 50 weeks to go".

which is not proof that anything else is going to happen. only that there is time if they decide to.

frankly I am not holding off on any thing under the assumption that they might, maybe, could perhaps announce something new at some point in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.