Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeoui

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2011
Milwaukee, WI, USA
What's frustrating, after having waited so long for the retina Mini, is that the device is ALMOST there. It's just a damn shame the screen doesn't live up to expectations.

I think I will be keeping my retina mini, just for portability reasons, but I can't say that I'm entirely satisfied with the purchase.

This. I was really happy that the two sizes were finally the same in specs. I never bought into the whole "flagship" thing. I wanted the same features in a smaller package. Thought we finally had that, but not quite. Still, I've played with the retina mini in store twice and I don't think the gamut will prevent me from buying. Maybe it helps that I never look at the Air because that screen size has never interested me.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Well, before it was known for sure that the mini 2 would have retina screen I read so many people here saying that it was a must-have for the 2... a deal breaker if it did not have it. So bottom line is this: would you prefer they had stuck with the old non-retina screen, or gone to retina... albeit with a screen with a little inferior color gamut range?

I would have preferred non-retina with A7 and dedicated the additional battery to run-time. I'm still getting the retina mini due to the amazing size and power. I doubt seriously that I will see any screen issues to my eye. They look great in the apple store.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Stupid stupid apple, there was no need for this dense a screen on the already dense screen iPad mini other than to appease the people who think they can see a difference (or are holding the iPad mini to close to their faces).

i would rather have had the same iPad mini screen with a MUCH better battery life and the new 64bit GPU than a crappy screen with issues at a higher resolution that i wont notice because i hold my iPad mini at a sensible distance from my face during use. Maybe saving Retina for the next model when they could do it properly ?

Retina iPad mini = Gold plated digital cables IMO, utterly useless and offers no real world difference, but people will SWEAR they can see/hear a difference after forking out for them. :rolleyes:

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Well, before it was known for sure that the mini 2 would have retina screen I read so many people here saying that it was a must-have for the 2... a deal breaker if it did not have it. So bottom line is this: would you prefer they had stuck with the old non-retina screen, or gone to retina... albeit with a screen with a little inferior color gamut range?
That's actually a really good question. To me, it's a screen I'm going to be staring at all day long and if I'm going to spend $600+ on a tablet, I better be happy with it. I certainly wasn't with the original Mini's screen, so I didn't buy one. I must say, the resolution on the new Mini is amazing - that part is definitely solid. But you can't just fix one problem and still have another glaring one. To me, personally, it's not just "a little inferior;" it's painfully bad. But I realize we all have different tolerances and priorities. I don't think I will be keeping mine... I thought maybe I just got a lemon so I was going to try exchanging it first, but if it's this widespread then it's probably not going to get much better. Mine has pretty severe image retention too. I may just wait yet another year before I get into this whole tablet thing...

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I messed with one at the apple store and couldn't notice anything wrong. I guess I'm the idiot......

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The average consumer wouldn't really care because they wouldn't notice.

Not to let Apple off the hook, other devices have clearly an advantage over the Mini.

Still, the Mini is a very nice device.

Clearly, if colour accuracy is a must, then the Mini isn't for you, get the Air or some other tablet.

Last edited:

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
I would have preferred non-retina with A7 and dedicated the additional battery to run-time. I'm still getting the retina mini due to the amazing size and power. I doubt seriously that I will see any screen issues to my eye. They look great in the apple store.

I agree with you there. Every time they shrink a device, and make it "thinner" I think that... would be awesome if they kept a version with the same old thickness, but a bigger better battery.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
There is a big article on CNN where they interviewed the typhoon victims about the iPad mini with Retina Display. The one woman stated "what happened hear pales in comparison to the color gamut issues that are rampant in the new iPad mini with Retina Display".

This is perhaps the best comment I have ever read on any forum/article. It's darkly comical and also beautifully sums up how much us geeks overplay things like this.

I agree it's sad to see another slip in quality from Apple, especially as they routinely state that that is paramount to their ethos, but ultimately it's still a great product.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
what is Color Gamut :confused:

A color gamut is roughly speaking the color span of a device. The bigger the gamut, the purer the colors. The most pure colors are generated with lasers. Everything else is just a more or less good mixture of an illumination with absorption. And it looks like the screen of the new iPad Mini Retina achieves a far smaller gamut than what is expected nowadays.

Is this a problem? Well, as long as you are not buying clothes on the web, you must not really care. EDIT: Though I have to say this is really a disappointing small gamut.

PS: I am positively surprised that they are showing YUV and not Yxy. Good!

Last edited:

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
I love my retina mini. It's a huge upgrade over the original and I couldn't give a crap about gamut or the fact it's not as vibrant as the Air or other devices. For me, the fact that I can read on it and have super-sharp text and images is all I need to justify the upgrade.

Unless you're a professional that needs the color gamut to be better for your photo/video business, is this really a huge deal breaker? Besides, if you're a professional and you're using a 1st generation iPad Mini w/retina to do this work, you probably should look up the definition of professional.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Stupid stupid apple, there was no need for this dense a screen on the already dense screen iPad mini other than to appease the people who think they can see a difference (or are holding the iPad mini to close to their faces).
Can you really not see a marked difference, even at modest viewing distances? I'm with you on the Monster Cable thing, but retina vs. non-retina is night vs. day to me. It's astonishingly better.

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
On the contrary, when compared side by side, I found that my iPhone 5's display looked much more yellow than the Retina mini, and I was disappointed with my iPhone's display, not the iPad's.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I knock Apple often, but color accuracy on a tablet is definitely not one of those things I will knock them for. For all intensive purposes the Mini is a toy that is used for email, internet, and streaming music/video.

There is always room for improvement, but (as a videophile myself with an understanding of color accruacy on high end home theater projector setups) I have no problems with the Mini from a color perspective and I typically notice these things.

I can guarantee most of you complaining about the new retina Mini screen that you check your main television first. It is probably setup much, much worse from a color and color temperature perspective. if your tv's were setup properly, you would probably change them back to the way they were in the first place :)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Sadly, most who complain about the colors now, only do so because it was pointed out to them. Like looking for yellow tint on screens. Most would never even spend the time pulling up a fully white screen to check for yellow tint unless they read something here and decided to look for it.

I can pretty much tell you that none of my electronics at my house are without faults. Some caused by me (oops), some by the manufacturer, some are physical limitations that the physical world can not over come (yet).

Get what makes you happy. Frankly for me it will be an rMini. It's faster than the original, higher resolution, with barely any additional weight and thickness (virtually imperceptible). What I would say is the biggest draw back is actually the price. $350 would have been a nicer target. Could Apple have given us the A6 instead and dropped it $50? I would have been happy with that.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I am so glad they found at least something to criticize the new iPad Mini.:D
I will wait for the next class-action lawsuit against Apple for ChromaPergaMutatizationNOT-gate of iPad Minis.
BTW, the next GREAT thing with iPads will be <<WIDESCREEN>>
Getting ready to ditch my entire iPad collection.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

i would rather have had the same iPad mini screen with a MUCH better battery life and the new 64bit GPU than a crappy screen with issues at a higher resolution that i wont notice because i hold my iPad mini at a sensible distance from my face during use. Maybe saving Retina for the next model when they could do it properly ?

Retina iPad mini = Gold plated digital cables IMO, utterly useless and offers no real world difference, but people will SWEAR they can see/hear a difference after forking out for them. :rolleyes:

Huh? The difference between the retina and non-retina mini display is very noticeable. Perhaps you should get your eyes checked.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I am thankful for these comparisons and think it will only help display quality to improve.

As a videophile, I sort of laugh though when people are complaining about color accuracy on a 7" screen that costs $399 when they purchase a new $2,000 60" HDTV and would never once think about getting the screen calibrated so that it is "accurate".

I feel like these tablets are being held to a much higher standard than HDTV's that can cost 5-10x as much, but still hope that Apple can improve their display quality going forward.

Accept that no one is getting an android or using an android. They are buying the closer to 8" iPad mini.

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
this was intentionally done by apple I don't know why but the rMinis are shipping with 3 different display brand and all are showing poor color reproduction

good thing is a lot of people don't give a C" about color accuracy and they enjoy the device but a lot of people who got the Air already is returning the rMini once they compare both side by side

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
All this was suggested. If this color gamut thing wasn't presented as a topic no one would be calling Apple out on it.
I have the original iPad mini and watching videos on it is amazing. So after this so called brouhaha about the retina mini's supposed resolution flaw am I suppose to change my mind? Hell no!
Stay out my head!
I'll go to the Apple store today to see what all the bs is about. I'm sure ti ain't nothing but losers trying to hurt mini sales.
Hey Bezos, get lost!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.