Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I use it about 2 feet away as well, and I can tell the difference plain as day between the two. There's just no comparison. Good news for you is that if you can't see a difference you have no reason to shell out money for an upgrade! The color gamut sucks on both, anyway, so you wouldn't be gaining much. :D

----------

Just because something is better than all of the other awful choices doesn't make it great.

Good point at both, i see no need to upgrade, and TBH my next "tablet" will probably be a Surface Pro 2 because i still need a full "PC" for work, and can continue to carry my iPad mini with me for ad-hoc stuff

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
On the contrary, when compared side by side, I found that my iPhone 5's display looked much more yellow than the Retina mini, and I was disappointed with my iPhone's display, not the iPad's.

Thats because mini doesnt have the gamut to support accurate color like the flagship iPhone and iPad have,

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I think I'm too old to buying a tablet. A 15" rMBP looks a way more interesting piece of hardware to me. No need for an interactive TV (actually it's what a tablet means).

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
here's a guy who has no idea what he's talking about:

Why? Because his views don't match with yours?

He likes more color and though image retention is actually a non-issue in LCDs (it goes away in 5 min on a LCD and it only happens under extreme circumstances and not regular use) it still does affect the iPad Mini...

Last edited by a moderator:

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
They're the same idiots who said "OMG my Air has a yellow screen!!!!!!!" Now the "color gamut" is the more important issue.

It's not that it's more important. It's both issues that affects the product quality. For a premium product I don't accept any of these issues. Also for me it's not only because someone mention this for me but I notice it very well my self.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
MacRumors reminds me of the Pee Wee's Playhouse episode where "color gamut" was the secret word of the day.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Damn you people are so ANNOYING!!! Shut up already and stop your whining. The RiPad Mini is fine. People are way too picky!!!

Yup, something that 99.999999999% of customers will never notice is picked on because every Apple product must have a flaw for the tech media to exploit for clicks. I declare this gamut-gate 2013!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
After reading this article, I returned my 128GB iPad Air Wifi + AT&T LTE for a 16GB iPad mini with Retina Display Wifi only. Made the decision pretty easy for me!

That doesn't even make any sense... did you not know what you were buying in the first place or is this post sarcasm?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Good point at both, i see no need to upgrade, and TBH my next "tablet" will probably be a Surface Pro 2 because i still need a full "PC" for work, and can continue to carry my iPad mini with me for ad-hoc stuff

Having been given a surface by my employer, it's clumsy for the things that a tablet should be good at, and slow for the things that a laptop should be good at. It literally is the worst of both worlds.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Damn you people are so ANNOYING!!! Shut up already and stop your whining. The RiPad Mini is fine. People are way too picky!!!

ORLY?

So which is it buddy? We're annoying and picky, or YOU are?

I believe the word BUSTED applies quite nicely here.

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
The will be on the Refurb site real quick now

I am guessing that this kerfuffle will cause the Retina iPad Mini to show up on the Refurb site a whole lot quicker than one might assume. And I suppose with some dollars knocked off the 'gamut' issue will be mitigated somewhat.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Haven't gone down to an Apple Store and checked em out in person yet. But even before this possible screen color issue, I was pretty much not going to upgrade right now. My original iPad Mini is barely 8 months old, and I love it.

Won't buy a new one until I really need to. The Ipad Air looks cool, but I much prefer the size & portability of the mini. :)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Gizmodo chimes in and agrees.

http://gizmodo.com/the-best-small-tablet-display-hint-its-not-the-ipad-1466653088

Ultimately, we're talking a noticeable, but not deal breaking difference. Apple knows this, and saved themselves a cool few million by squeezing out another year from old technology. This means they can spend that money R&D'ing next years iPads, which will have by then, caught up to this year's tech. They do the same thing every year...sell us slightly aging tech in a sleek package.

This is why Apple is smart, and profitable and successful, for now. Other companies have to pack their devices to the gills with specs specs specs, because they are missing the biggest spec of all...desirability. Apple has that in spades.

On geeky tech sites, Apple gets lambasted for continually under spec'd offerings. But in the Targets/Walmarts/Best Buys of the world, the shelves are empty. You do the math.

Last edited:

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I think people also need to keep in mind the Mini's price was jacked up $70 to account for this new retina display. It's retina, but just not as nice as the others. I think that is frustrating.

Since Apple hasn't played the whole "let's disclose specs and technical figures" marketing game to their customers, is it any surprise people are surprised that a Retina Display on one device isn't the same as a Retina Display on another?

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I own the device and the air. Put it this way, if you didn't read this you wouldn't be able to tell. Is the screen as vibrant as the air? No but it's not a step down either. In daily use you can't even tell.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Nothing new. Apple downgrades things in smaller products of a line from time to time to keep costs low. A good example is the 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac which used a crappy TN panel, a downgrade from the S-IPS panel in 20" 2006 white iMac (in contrast to IPS panel still used in the 24" iMac). They naturally chose downgrade the iPad mini rather than the iPad Air.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Definitely something to check in a side by side comparison at the Apple Store. I am leaning towards the Air anyway, but I certainly want to see for myself if my old eyes can really see a color difference.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
It wouldn't be a big deal to me but Apple's justification for not producing a larger iPhone is becausethey feel the larger displays do not measure up in quality including white balance.

So now that doesn't matter?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Is this caring, or being insanely paranoid?

It's still a good-looking screen, but it's not pushing the state of the art like competitors are, and not as good as the screen on the larger sized model. That's a shame because they went to great lengths to differentiate the mini and Air by screen size and price alone this time around.

Although, I have to say, Anandtech needs to test more than one example. There are multiple suppliers and screens vary wildly even from the same supplier.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Is anyone *really* that bothered about colours on their iPad?

I went from an iPad -> iPad mini - and the portability, plus the extra sharpness of the screen compared to the larger retinas is worth any trade off in colour. To be perfectly honest, until it was pointed out, I hadn't noticed - it can't be that big a deal then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.